• TiredThinker
    I think generally some physicists are open to the idea of other worlds, but few would say it is necessary to have a universe for every possible universe that can exist. But what are the implications of having more universes that 2 or more universes are exactly identical to one another? Would this be mathematically useless when trying to make the universe seem balanced?
  • Miller
    what is beyond the universe? a multiverse? what is beyond that? the omniverse? what is beyond that?

keep going
  • 180 Proof
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate. — John Duns Scotus
    Reformulated eventually by the barber William of Ockham.
  • tim wood
    From a book: "Thus the guiding principle of nominalist logic for Ockham was his famous razor: do not multiply universals needlessly. While we cannot, as finite beings, make sense of the world without universals, every generalization takes us one more step away from the real. Hence, the fewer we employ the closer we remain to the truth." The Theological Origins of Modernity, Michael Gillespie, 2008. The nominalist reply to the realists. Not for simpler arguments and proofs, but to get closer to God.
  • Outlander
    Who's to say our entire observable universe is really anything but a three inch petri dish in some alien stoner's college dorm he made for a project and forgot about because he got high. You wouldn't know. So why do some act like they do?
  • jgill
    But what are the implications of having more universes that 2 or more universes are exactly identical to one another?TiredThinker

None. Probability is a notion having arisen by observation and ideation in this universe.
  • 180 Proof
    Oh yes, the good friar got the lex parsimoniae from other men of the cloth to minimize the obfuscations of conceptual realism. No doubt a corollarial remnant of the via negativa. :pray:
  • Agent Smith
    14,000,605! The magic number. :grin:

• Hello Human
    But what are the implications of having more universes that 2 or more universes are exactly identical to one another? Would this be mathematically useless when trying to make the universe seem balanced?TiredThinker

What do you mean by "mathematically useless" ? Why should a multiverse be "useful" or "balanced" ? Useful (or useless) to whom ?
  • Agent Smith
    14 000 605 possible outcomes? How can he be ahead of the future while being part of the present?Goldyluck

Good question! Sc-fi ring any bells?
  • TiredThinker

Still unclear on how the Ancient One knew Strange would be the best of all of them despite not being able to see past her own death.
  • TiredThinker

I assume those that mathematically try to calculate how many different worlds there are require a balance as there needs to be balances in each world.
  • jgill
    The worlds according to TegmarkGoldyluck

Bless his heart. I pray he comes to his senses. :worry:

I assume those that mathematically try to calculate how many different worlds there are . . .TiredThinker

Medieval scholasticism rises anew. :roll:
  • Agent Smith
    Still unclear on how the Ancient One knew Strange would be the best of all of them despite not being able to see past her own death.TiredThinker

Not magic but plain Sherlock Holmesian deduction. The Ancient One knew they kind of person Dr. Strange was (haughty, abrasive, (over) confident, etc.) and deduced all the mistakes he would make in his life before magic and after magic. Ironic isn't it, that Dr. Strange was chosen for his flaws & errors rather than his goodness and ability to do the right thing.

Deduction, logic in a broader sense, trumps clairvoyance. There's an old Buddhist story about that. Look it up.
  • TiredThinker

I heard Tilda might be in the sequel somehow.
  • Agent Smith
    I heard Tilda might be in the sequel somehow.TiredThinker

I'm waiting patiently...bitten-off-all-my-nails patiently.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.