• OscarTheGrouch
    I have read a few Rand books recently and have had a few friend ask about what I have gleaned from the venture. So I took to trying to define her philosophy. I have avoided reading any formal outlines of her philosophy as to try and think it through myself.

That being said I need help overcoming a circular definition. Here is my description of a Randian view of goodness:

Goodness
    Goodness is universally subjective. When a decision is made on how to act there is one factor that determines its goodness: how well does that action conform to the agent's values? Action is guided by thought, thought is guided by values, values are generated based on promoting one’s wealth, and wealth is generated in order to promote one’s happiness.

Thought
    The ability to think is what constitutes life. Freedom to think is a basic right. It is man’s duty to critically think and leverage judgement as he navigates life. Straying from this is moving away from life and toward death. Thought without action is cowardice and is actively reducing one’s potential wealth and therefore one’s potential happiness. Thought is used to make values manifest in action.

Values
    Values are the guidelines for action. Man values any means to generate wealth or increase his capacity to generate wealth. Values are fundamental to life and their targets scale with wealth. The target of man’s values differ greatly when wealth is non-existent than when wealth is grand. However, if one cares to live his adherence to his values remains constant.

Wealth
    Wealth is the quantifier of a man’s fitness and morality. Wealth is one’s means to survive. Wealth is one’s means to flourish. Wealth is one’s means to happiness.

Happiness
    Happiness is one’s ability to freely pursue his values.

The problem emerges from my description of values, wealth and happiness. Man values things that bring him wealth, wealth brings him happiness because it allows him to more freely pursue his values?

Any hints at how to modify my formulation as to solve for this circular logic?

I understand her philosophy is quite controversial so lets stick to defining her objective claims and avoid critiquing it.
  • Miller
    Any hints at how to modify my formulation as to solve for this circular logic?OscarTheGrouch

She was too poor to do anything. So she sees money as the first cause, and capitalism as the bringer of money.

Freedom is predicated on the idea that there is more good in people than bad. So a society based on freedom will be successful. Freedom doesn't need perfection to win, it only needs 51% goodness.
  • unenlightened
    I have read a few Rand books recentlyOscarTheGrouch

I read one once, but I have almost completely recovered. There is still hope for you, but try not to talk about it so much.
  • T Clark

Rand is not a popular philosopher here on the forum. You may have trouble getting a helpful response, for example:

I read one once, but I have almost completely recovered. There is still hope for you, but try not to talk about it so much.unenlightened

I have read three of her books, all fiction - "Atlas Shrugged," "The Fountainhead," and "Anthem." All are badly written. I find the philosophy woven into the story distasteful, unconvincing. I have also read a bit about her philosophy and life. For me, a little bit of illogical reasoning is the least of her problems. I think her complete misunderstanding of and contempt for human values is hard to get past.

Sorry I can't help. Welcome to the forum.
  • Wheatley
    values are generated based on promoting one’s wealthOscarTheGrouch
    Wealth is one’s means to happiness.
    Back to square one. The problem lies in those descriptions of happiness, values, and wealth, respectively.

The problem emerges from my description of values, wealth and happiness. Man values things that bring him wealth, wealth brings him happiness because it allows him to more freely pursue his values?OscarTheGrouch
    Happiness leads to values. Values lead to wealth. Wealth leads to happiness. Happiness leads to values. Thus we have a vicious circle.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I got the ordering wrong. But at least you get the idea.
  • T Clark
    I understand her philosophy is quite controversial so lets stick to defining her objective claims and avoid critiquing it.
    — OscarTheGrouch
    FYI: There are no rules about obeying the wishes of the OP.
    Wheatley

Re you response to @OscarTheGrouch

I strongly disagree with your statement about the requirement to follow the OP. For that reason, I copied it to the Shoutbox and asked the moderators to respond.
  • T Clark
    I edited it.Wheatley

Thanks.
  • OscarTheGrouch

Happiness leads to values. Values lead to wealth. Wealth leads to happiness. Happiness leads to values. Thus we have a vicious circle. — -Wheatley

Is it a vicious circle or is it a merry-go-round? :D

Is there a chance you can expound a bit on this?

A few questions I can think of immediately:

• Is this derived from Randian theory or elsewhere?
    • Does happiness first occur through experimentation and then your values are instantiated in order to reinforce behavior that lead to happiness?
  • Mikie
    values are generated based on promoting one’s wealth,

:lol: I like a lot of what Rand said but she’s very simplistic indeed. Imagine equating with values and happiness with wealth creation. No wonder she was a capitalist. That and a negative experience in Russia, I suppose. What a pity.

Thought is used to make values manifest in action.

Again, way too simple and formulaic. This is far from how we function as human beings most of the time — it rarely happens, if at all.

Where exactly are these quotes from? Please cite the source.
  • Wheatley
    Is it a vicious circle or is it a merry-go-round? :DOscarTheGrouch
    I was just working with the information you gave me in the OP. I am not an expert philosopher who can give you professional advice. I thought it could be useful to order these sentences in that way. Perhaps you don't think it's useful, that's fine.

Is there a chance you can expound a bit on this?

A few questions I can think of immediately:

Is this derived from Randian theory or elsewhere?
    Does happiness first occur through experimentation and then your values are instantiated in order to reinforce behavior that lead to happiness?
    OscarTheGrouch
    It's a lot of work to answer these questions. I wish I could help you.
  • Ciceronianus
    A wise man once said, and keeps saying:

Ayn Rand is to philosophy what L. Ron Hubbard is to religion.
  • OscarTheGrouch
    I wrote this stuff (as I sort of explain in the initial question) in order to try and work through my understanding of the philosophy. I wrote quite a few things down but this is just a particular concept where I noticed a circular definition. The concept being Rand's definition of goodness. I am asking for help modifying my formulations! Please help :D

p.s. my initial post should probably be modified so that GOODNESS is a main heading and thought, values, etc are sub headings
  • OscarTheGrouch
    Am I wrong to try and understand her philosophy? Is there no wisdom within it?

Objectivism is attractive to me given the current state of the world. It is empowering to internalize some of her concepts like: "money being a manifestation of ones best efforts", "action without thought is mindlessness, and thought without action is hypocritical", "celebration is for those who have earned it", etc.. Objectivism has empowered my individuality. It has helped me organize my thoughts and default to reason whenever I feel overwhelmed or exhausted.

This is me explaining a bit of what I have gained from objectivism not as a defense of it but as a statement about why I have appreciated my first foray into philosophy. I understand many of you may think of objectivism as blasphemy so please give me the next logical step in my philosophical journey. I would greatly appreciate thoughtful recommendations on texts to begin reading.
  • Ciceronianus
    Am I wrong to try and understand her philosophy? Is there no wisdom within it?OscarTheGrouch
    Well, I think there are better uses of your time, but by all means try to understand it if you would like to do so. As to wisdom, I think you'll find that much of her thought is derivative, especially of Aristotle, and in the nature of a reaction against communism as it came to develop. One can be an individual without being wealthy and primarily concerned with self-gratification or glorification.
  • Banno
    I suppose that, like Catholicism, Rand might serve as an introduction to doing philosophy. Freeing oneself from such nonsense as an introduction to critical thinking.

SO the test will be what Oscar does next - read more widely and wisely, or join the Republicans or Liberals.
  • OscarTheGrouch
    If I enter one of these cults please find me and destroy me.
  • OscarTheGrouch
    I appreciate this comment. She directly mentions Aristotle in the "About the author" section of Atlas Shrugged. I guess Ancient Greece is my next stop. Shall I begin with Plato or Aristotle?
  • frank
    A wise man once said, and keeps saying:

Ayn Rand is to philosophy what L. Ron Hubbard is to religion.
    Ciceronianus

Nah, she had some thought provoking stuff. Who talked about the ins and outs of victim blaming before her?
  • Ciceronianus

I've always preferred Aristotle to Plato, if only because Aristotle was less mystical, less totalitarian.
  • Benkei
    Not seconded! It's precisely because Plato is more prosaic it stimulates more to think and wonder about it by yourself. What does he mean? What do you think he means? Why? How? etc. Aristotle is too dry for my taste.

Also, can't help with the OP. I did delve into her at some point. The only thing that stuck was a teleological basis for her ethics (which is Aristotlean). Apparently she missed Darwin as proof a teleological basis is wrong.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also recall she was very negative about Kant. Turned out she never read him though. So there's the lies too.
  • RogueAI
    Roger Ebert's take on Ayn Rand's philosophy: ""I’m on board; pull up the lifeline."
  • OscarTheGrouch
    To me it seems the reason her philosophy is "unpractical" (she is rolling over in her grave as I use that term) is because it expects too much out of humans.

She would want everyone to say (and fully mean) simultaneously: "I'm on board; pull up the lifeline."

She might argue that the reason that is impossible now-a-days is because of coddling, hand outs, and subscribing to another person's reasoning over one's own reasoning.
  • OscarTheGrouch
    What is a good starting text from Plato? It seems sensible to start with Plato then move to Aristotle.
  • frank

Do the pre-Socratics and then Plato, then Aristotle. The SEP is a good introduction, or Wikipedia.
  • Benkei
    The Republic is a good starting point for philosophy in general. You don't need to read the pre-socratics per se. My philosophy professor swore by Eric Vögelin's work as a secondary account of Plato and Aristotle in his third volume of Order and History.
  • OscarTheGrouch
    I am very fond of physical books. I appreciate the advice.
  • frank

I like audible books. I'm listening to The Road to Serfdom.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.