• Janus
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.James Riley

:up: :lol:
  • Changeling
    the realm of supernatural fictionboagie

... can be realized by science.
  • I like sushi
    I didn’t quote you?
  • boagie

To error is human-------LOL!!
  • boagie

Sorry Sushi, guess the form fooled me, my apology.
  • Changeling
    science realizes fantasy
  • Varde
    science doesn't realise anything. Science isn't a pronoun.
  • Changeling
    science has the anaphoric, metaphoric and exophoric referencing pronoun 'it'. Also 'it' obviously does realise things - evidenced by your communicating with me right now.
  • Gus Lamarch
    NietzscheManuel

Nietzsche read "The Philosophy of Redemption" shortly after its publication, - and Mainlander's tragic suicide -, so is agreed upon that he was well versed on the philosophy and writings of the author, and in his passages - Nietzsches's -, he refers to both the nihilistic - something that Nietzsche was very concerned about - as well as Mainlander's ascetical perception - which you referred to when saying that "Nietzsche dissagreed with Mainlander" -.

Nietzsche greatly respected Mainlander's ability, even though he was aware of his condemnation of eternal emptiness, to use the very aspects of life to realize this "eternal void". In counterpoint, Nietzsche criticized the quasi-Schopenhauerian view of abstention from the world that Mainlander preached.

In short, while Nietzsche advocated an "overdose of sensations for the end of nihilism", Mainlander advocated an "eternal abstention from existence for nihilism".
  • Manuel

Thanks for that reply.

Did he explicitly mention Mainlander? The only thing I can recall explicitly is Nietzsche's condemnation of Mainlander's advocating of abstinence and also mentions him in a letter to someone.

I mention it because it's a shame Nietzsche didn't mention him more frequently, maybe Mainlander would be better known by now.
  • god must be atheist
    "Death is something that happens to other people, but not to me." - Character, in one of Terry Pratchett's novels.
    "Death is nature's way to tell you to slow down." - Mother Nature.

"The main effect of death on the living is the speculative ramifications disseminated by religious and or secular doctrines." - Adolph Stulpnagel von Dressau.

"We don't want to live forever. Immortality is a veritable nightmare. We just don't want to die." -- Robert K. Steiffenhauser von Kielkebaden.

"In my youth I wished for infinite knowledge, wisdom and intelligence upon my death. Now I wish for ignorant stupidity." Herr hochwohlgeborener Baron Kreffke Max Stillstoffen von Wartburgh.

"If the Tower of Babel was unfinished due to society reaching the sky, then man's life is unfinished to stop him from reaching... very high. Higher than he can bear." Fraulein gegenwegerstrecklich Hanna Zwickreckstuck von Bieberheim.

"Man can't get higher than a bear? This has been debunked by Jimi Hendrix." Herr Obersturmstrassenwagenkonduktor Holz Heindrich von Gestraub.

"Death is..." (Unfinished due to exitus lethalis) Der schweigensteiger briefmarksammler Gottlieb Drucke von Eckhardt on his deathbed.
  • SpaceDweller

Advantage of death compared to birth is in that you are aware of new birth :smile:
  • boagie

To be not is to be free from all suffering.
  • Mp202020
    Death isn’t to fear, no, without death there is no life. The constant transformation of phenomena is why life even “is.” There is no such the as life and death. There is only the transformation of phenomena in which our human minds impute notions of “birth” and “death,” “ceasing” and “non-ceasing.” The notion of death is a falsity, an illusion created by the flawed mind of an earthly being. Without “death” there can be no “life.” There’s only the unchanging, untouchable state of eternity. This is what I call God.
  • Mikie
    I think we fear pain and the unknown. But if death doesn’t involve pain, and it’s not seen as anything more than a state of pre-birth- or dreamless sleep- then there’s little to concern oneself with.
  • Changeling
    sleepXtrix

How can death be sleep when sleep is part of being alive?
  • TheMadFool
    What I found interesting:

Brain waves
    1. Gamma waves: Intense concentration
    2. Beta waves: Most common, normal awake state
    3. Alpha waves: Awake, relaxation
    4. Theta waves: Awake, deep relaxation
    5. Delta waves: Dreamless sleep & deep meditation! ( :chin: )

What caught my eye is :point:

The other opinion about death is that it is oblivion, the complete cessation of consciousness, not only unable to feel but a complete lack of awareness, like a person in a deep, dreamless sleep. Socrates says that even this oblivion does not frighten him very much, because while he would be unaware, he would correspondingly be free from any pain or suffering. Indeed, Socrates says, not even the great King of Persia could say that he ever rested so soundly and peacefully as he did in a dreamless sleep.Eternal Oblivion

Brain + Delta waves = Brain

Ergo...
  • Tom Storm
    How can death be sleep when sleep is part of being alive?The Opposite

Good point. I like to think of death as like sleep only deeper and less refreshing.
  • 180 Proof
    "Life after life?" :eyes: :pray:

I can conceive of a synthetic mind-substrate extension of the organic mind-substrate whereby the continuity of self-aware personal identity (i.e. "consciousness") is, in effect, transferred from the latter to the former ...180 Proof
    :chin:
  • baker
    I think we fear pain and the unknown.

Just you wait for the pain.

Two weeks ago, I had to go to the ER, I was in such pain. Gastrointestinal spasms because of a viral infection. I was thinking that death hurts like this, although probably more.
    They gave me IV painkillers ... But without those!!
  • Changeling
    Delta wavesTheMadFool

The brain exhibits delta waves when a person is alive.

Science has proved that death is not sleep.
  • Mikie
    How can death be sleep when sleep is part of being alive?The Opposite

I didn’t say death was sleep. Death can be thought to be like a dreamless sleep. The difference being you don’t wake up. Or picture it as a state of pre-birth.
  • baker
    @Xtrix And you believe you can go gently into that night, a good one even, with no regrets, no desire to continue to be alive?
  • Changeling
    Death can be thought to be like a dreamless sleep.Xtrix

It can. It can also be thought to be heaven/hell or 'a state of pre-birth'.

None of these things are true.
  • Mikie
    And you believe you can go gently into that night, a good one even, with no regrets, no desire to continue to be alive?baker

I think I’ll face it as inevitable, but it’s likely I’ll want to keep living. As for regrets— there are many, naturally.
  • Mikie
    None of these things are true.The Opposite

It is true. Heaven and hell are nonsense— there’s no evidence for that whatsoever.
  • baker
    There is no downside to death, if one does not see it comingboagie

But you know it's coming, it's just a matter of time when, and you know it could be anytime.

You can't fool yourself or buy yourself time.
  • 180 Proof
    ... a state of pre-birth.Xtrix
    :up:

The Great Disappearing.
    Forgetting, being a stream of disappeared memories, the disappearing of self-continuity ...
    Horizon of the autobiographical. Horizon of the historical. Horizon of species. Horizon of the Sun. Our Black Sun.
    An a priori oblivion.
    The future's uncertain
    And the end is always
    Near
    To the extent they matter, we stake all of our "hopes" on the uncertain ...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.