• LaRochelle
    Cept one of us.Varde

Are you a monkey? Considering your short monkey-like comment, this seems to be the case.
  • Varde
    considering we came from Apes, there can only be one monkey, in that context.

It certainly isn't me.

I appreciate you being open and that about your art-form, machine.

I'm sat here alone with lots of p-zombies, some of them are passive-aggressive literally faking to be me.

It's not good art, you won't be remembered(I appriciate 'you can't help it').
  • boagie
    Biological simulation is not perfect, one needs only look at people considered colour blind because they interpret certain frequencies differently than the majority. It is not a matter of right or wrong but a biological interpretation/simulation. A somewhat different biology, simulates a somewhat different apparent realty.
  • LaRochelle

A typical monkey reply. Fast and aggressive. What do you know about my art. Absolutely nothing, and considering the fact that you are surrounded by p-zombies I can only infer you are one your self. A monkey version, that is. I appreciate this sad fact. But a monkey can't help she's a monkey. And there is more to learn from a real monkey, than from a p-zombie-like one. Talking about abstract tesseacts without actually knowing what a tesseract is, seems pretty p-zombie like. People being tesserats... What trip you are on. I like LSD too, but to see people as tesseracts is one fucking bridge too far. So, in your holy tesseraxy, I wish you all the best! I hope you become immortal, being an empty vessel of memes trying to replicate and multiply. Good look in your attempt to do so. Make them immortal and submit the world to their inherent misery.
  • LaRochelle
    Biological simulation is not perfect, one needs only look at people considered colour blind because they interpret certain frequencies differently than the majority. It is not a matter of right or wrong but a biological interpretation/simulation. A somewhat different biology, simulates a somewhat different apparent realty.boagie

Ah! A sign of intelligence. I read that blind people, seeing only blackness, still have a sense of visual direction. Will we seeing people be ever capable experiencing that? There are different regions in the visual cortex. We can assign a directive function to it, but will that ever "explain" the conscious experience? Or will the notion of a wavelength explain red or blue?
  • Varde
    don't howl at me, you bafoon, or is it baboon? Lots of monkey talk, ensues...
  • LaRochelle
    don't howl at me, you bafoon, or is it baboon? Lots of monkey talk, ensues...Varde

Sono un buffone!
  • boagie
    What's the difference between apparent reality and ultimate reality? The answer, biological readout presences us with apparent reality. We know enough about ultimate reality to know that it is a place of no things. Apparent is biological experience. Ultimate reality in a limited way is the stuff of biological readout/interpretation, the the limited sum, of which is apparent reality.
  • boagie

Your examples given, just underline the fact that differing biologies perceive different apparent realities. Perception is biological reaction, so too perhaps, is consciousness. The mechanics of it, the workings, is what is, the hard problem.
  • TheMadFool
    What intrigues me and also bothers me is that in the simulated virtual realities we build like in video games, the laws of nature that operate in the real world are violated, with impunity I might add - characters fly, magical spells are cast, to name but two of the "illegal" activities going on in virtual reality.

In short, a simulated reality is richer in terms of possibilities than the real world. Amazingly, from what little I could glean, there's virtual physics that control the mechanics of such...supernormal and/or supernatural virtual phenomena.

Virtual physics! :chin:

And more too...

What gives?
  • TheMadFool
    Are you a monkey? Considering your short monkey-like comment, this seems to be the case.LaRochelle

:rofl:
  • 180 Proof
    C'mon, Fool ...

The program rules simulate a physics for a simulated world. Simulation programs themselves, however, must be consistent with real world physics (e.g. Universal Turing machines).
  • TheMadFool
    The program rules simulate a physics for a simulated world. Simulation programs themselves, however, must be consistent with real world physics (e.g. Universal Turing machines).180 Proof

This in itself is a paradox: We can break the laws of nature in a simulation even though the very code, the very machine running the code for that very simulation have to abide by them. It's like a cop telling a citizen to do something illegal.
  • 180 Proof
    The simulated agents within the simulated world cannot "break its rules" – change the program. Real agents are not subject to the enabling-constraints of their simulations and, therefore, can change the program at will. No "paradox", Fool, just more sloppy "thinking".
  • TheMadFool
    The simulated agents within the simulated world cannot "break its rules" – change the program. Real agents are not subject to the enabling-constraints of their simulations. No "paradox", just sloppy "thinking".180 Proof

I never claimed that simulated "agents" can break the rules of the virtual world they're in; nevertheless, I've seen hilarious and annoying as hell glitches in games.
  • 180 Proof
    I know you didn't and I didn't state or imply you did.
  • TheMadFool
    No "paradox", Fool, just more sloppy "thinking".180 Proof

How is it not a paradox? A gravity-obeying machine can generate a world (the simulation) where gravity-defying feats can be accomplished.

I can use the laws of nature to violate the laws of nature.
  • 180 Proof
    A gravity-obeying machine can generate a world (the simulation) where gravity-defying feats can be accomplished.TheMadFool
    Sloppy. As. Fuck. :sweat:
  • TheMadFool
    Sloppy. As. Fuck180 Proof

I did all I could. It's all in God's hands now. :rofl:
  • TheMadFool
    Shit.. it's like we all copied each other's answers in a high school test. :joke:Tom Storm

:lol:
  • Agent Smith
    Ipecacuanha (The Island of Dr. Moreau)
  • Hillary

Ipecacuanha may refer to:

a synonym of Psychotria, a genus of flowering plants in the family Rubiaceaethe common name of Carapichea ipecacuanha, a species of flowering plant in the family Rubiaceae, whose roots were used to make syrup of ipecaca fictional ship in H. G. Wells's The Island of Doctor Moreau
  • Hillary
    If there is no way for us to know that we are in a simulation as opposed to what we call reality, then they are the same thing.T Clark

The dream seems pretty real. But it's not. So the the perfect simulation is not the same thing.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.