• Benj96
    Suppose there was a girl, just one. And nobody else. She lives on a planet where there are no animals (except her). Nothing even similar to her own conscious awareness. There are only plants and fungi and she has a vegetarian diet. All of her needs are catered for in terms of food and shelter (let’s suppose being raised to fend for oneself is somewhat of an instinct, she does not recall a time when she had parents, she doesn’t even know what that is.) All she has ever known is herself and her planty environment.

My question to you is... would she be aware intuitively that something is missing? Would she have a longing/ desire for “somebody” else. Would she consider that there could be more “hers” or another of those “things” she sees looking back at her in the reflection of a puddle. Would she ponder the existence of a “him”. Or would these thoughts never occur to her unless some random human just appeared from the bushes.

How would she think? She has no need for vocalised language. Would she even use her voice in such a quiet animal free place.

Would she be lonely.
  • GraveItty
    Suppose there was a girl, just one. And nobody else.Benj96

This is not a supposition. It's a true fact in my world.
  • Tom Storm
    Would she be lonely.Benj96

No.

But you didn't ask, "Would she crave roast beef?"
  • I like sushi
    I king did this experiment already. He locked a child in a room and it had no contact with any human. The child couldn't talk or walk. It was nothing, just a vegetable.
  • Caldwell
    All of her needs are catered for in terms of food and shelter (let’s suppose being raised to fend for oneself is somewhat of an instinct, she does not recall a time when she had parents, she doesn’t even know what that is.) All she has ever known is herself and her planty environment.Benj96
    She would be fine if she had innate skills to fend for herself. But as far as seeking another "human" or a male partner, or even knowing she could carry a baby in her, I think it would be that she'd be lacking awareness. Keep in mind this is a single mind. No emotion would develop -- attachment to something, maybe.

In a collective mind of a group of humans in similar situation, a lot more things would emerge -- it is known that a primitive society searched for that something bigger than themselves, usually above. The supernatural or some "magic".
  • Hanover
    The thought experiment asks whether there are a priori needs, desires, and knowledge. It's a scientific question really. I don't think that human social groups form due to learning, but it's part of being human to be a social animal.

I raise goats. They are herd animals. When in fear, they pack tightly together, and they can't stand to be isolated from each other. That's not learned behavior. I can't see why it's impossible for humans to have social instincts as well.
  • Caldwell
    I can't see why it's impossible for humans to have social instincts as well.Hanover
    In a collective mind, there would be. But the OP is talking about a single individual with no prior or current connection to another human or any living animals.
  • Pinprick
    My question to you is... would she be aware intuitively that something is missing? Would she have a longing/ desire for “somebody” else. Would she consider that there could be more “hers” or another of those “things” she sees looking back at her in the reflection of a puddle. Would she ponder the existence of a “him”. Or would these thoughts never occur to her unless some random human just appeared from the bushes.

How would she think? She has no need for vocalised language. Would she even use her voice in such a quiet animal free place.

Would she be lonely.
    Benj96

I think it really depends on her evolutionary history. I’d agree with @Hanover that we have evolved to be social creatures to greater or lesser extents. But there’s lots of factors involved before you can reasonably estimate how she may feel. What is her age? Was she taught anything by her parents? How busy is she in her daily struggle to survive?
  • Raymond

We are most certainly not! Excuse me sir but there area trillion times trillion planets in the visible universe alone! Seems to me that there are Earth like planets around every star... With people even. A trillion Agents...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.