• Wheatley
    We can all live with doubt. The more you doubt the less susceptible you are being manipulated and be taken advantage of. Scam artists and many types of fraudsters prey on gullible peoole who never learned to doubt. Skepticism (which is a form doubt) is essential for doing science.

I more curious about folks who manage their adult lives believing whatever authority figures say without hestitation.
  • Banno
    The more you doubt the less susceptible you are being manipulated and be taken advantage of.Wheatley

Would that this were true.

While doubt (and certainty) are inherent aspects of our lives, turning doubt into a fetish is a sure way to set yourself up for manipulation. Science deniers see themselves as bastions of rational discourse, doubting the authority of the men in white coats.

The middle path, doubting here and being certain there, is the only viable approach. The issue it, what is here and which is there.
  • dimosthenis9
    Doubt and certainty are propositional attitudes; they are ways of thinking about this or that statement. You doubt that the Earth is flat, or are certain that this is a hand.Banno

So what? What all of what you mention here proves?? That doubt and certainty are connected?They might be yes. So?? That makes doubt less important??Or meaningless?? Or that doesn't exist??

The argument you stated was "doubt is overrated" and that's what I responded. All these you mention where exactly support your initial argument? In fact they make it even more weak. Since at half of your posts you urge me to "doubt"!

you can go ahead and accept whatever you like as certain. Or you can doubt whateverBanno

What are you talking about? There are things that science made us not to doubt anymore. Except if someone doesn't accept science. So no you can't accept everything you like as certainty!

At the past people were doubting about the shape of earth. Science came and prove it's not flat. Of course there might be lunatics who would reject that. But so what? That past human doubt was solved by science! As many others!And guess what? It was solved cause initially someone doubted that it is flat indeed!!

What do you think?Banno

That it isn't at all.
  • Wheatley
    While doubt (and certainty) are inherent aspects of our lives, turning doubt into a fetish is a sure way to set yourself up for manipulation. Science deniers see themselves as bastions of rational discourse, doubting the authority of the men in white coats.Banno
    Thats just examples of nasty people misusing doubt in ways of looking out for their own interests. It is well known that the Russian goverment manufacured doubt to encourage distrust in respected institutions. My advice is to ignore such idiots and continue doubting as you normally would.

The middle path, doubting here and being certain there, is the only viable approach. The issue it, what is here and which is there.Banno
    No middle path.
  • Banno
    So what?dimosthenis9

You appear to be unavailable for conversation. Cheers.
  • Banno
    Thats just an example of nasty people misusing doubt to benefit themselfs.Wheatley

Yep. Easy to do when doubt becomes a fetish.
  • Wheatley
    doubt becomes a fetishBanno
    That's the first time I have ever heard that. :brow:
  • baker
    The more you doubt the less susceptible you are being manipulated and be taken advantage of. Scam artists and many types of fraudsters prey on gullible peoole who never learned to doubt.Wheatley

That's not doubt, that's caution.

- - -

Doubting about existential questions (death, purpose of life, God etc). Doubting about yourself. Who you actually are. What will happen even in your everyday routine (work, marriage, family, friends etc).dimosthenis9

That's not doubt, though. It's worry, uncertainty, indecision, that feeling of unease.
  • Wheatley
    That's not doubt, that's caution.baker
    In my mind they are closely related.
  • dimosthenis9
    You appear to be unavailable for conversation. Cheers.Banno

You appear to have being trapped by your own statements.And you seem clever enough to understand it.
    So getting away like that, seems like a "good" strategy. Making a fancy "exit" out of the conversation as not to "lose face". Using an ad home argument as a getaway vehicle.Anyway whatever suits you better.

Cheers.
  • dimosthenis9
    That's not doubt, though. It's worry, uncertainty, indecision, that feeling of unease.baker

In my mind they are the same. Aren't worries, uncertainties etc the roots of doubts? Sure they are for me.
  • Banno
    You appear to have being trapped by your own statements.dimosthenis9

You appear to have not understood what was said. SO there's little point in saying more.
  • Banno
    That's the first time I have ever heard that. :brow:Wheatley

For example:

In fact, we live only in doubt.dimosthenis9
  • dimosthenis9
    You appear to have not understood what was said.Banno

That was not the case.The point is that you mention things that you can't support. Like that doubt is overrated and that someone can be certain for whatever he wants.

The middle path, doubting here and being certain there, is the only viable approach.Banno

Just showing you where you are answering to yourself.

For example:

In fact, we live only in doubt.
    — dimosthenis9
    Banno

And that shows that I m easily manipulated then by your weird approach.
    Sorry but it's just another ad home argument and nothing more.

Doubt is our fuel as humanity as to expand our limited truth and get closer to the absolute truth, either you like it or not.
  • Wheatley
    That's a horrible way to live! :death:

Doubt is not a pleasant emotion. :grimace:
  • dimosthenis9
    Doubt is not a pleasant emotion. :grimace:Wheatley

Neither necessarily unpleasant.
  • Wheatley

I rather not go around doubting everything. Just a personal preference. :up:
  • baker
    In my mind they are the same. Aren't worries, uncertainties etc the roots of doubts? Sure they are for me.dimosthenis9

Doubt is a verbally expressible, informed, justified wavering between two options. When you doubt, you waver between A and B, and you know your reasons for doing so.

Worries, uncertainties, anxiety are more general, often not even verbally expressed/expressible.
  • baker
    That's not doubt, that's caution.
    — baker
    In my mind they are closely related.
    Wheatley

How?
  • Wheatley
    The only reason to be cautious in the first place is because you are in doubt, or at least when you are judging a dishonest person. Hence being cautious is related to doubt.
  • baker
    That's strange. One is cautious because one cares about oneself, about one's wellbeing. Related to that, cares about the wellbeing of those who are important to one.
  • Wheatley
    That's strange. One is cautious because one cares about oneself, about one's wellbeing. Related to that, cares about the wellbeing of those who are important to one.baker
    Okay, that's fine, have it your way.
  • Photios

There will always be mysteries but little doubt. For example the Trinity. It is beyond the comprehension of our finite minds - but that is OK. Faith and reason.
  • Wheatley
    Philosophers have a habit of hijacking ordinary words such as "doubt", making them unnecessarily abstract just so they continue problematizing.
  • Lea
    If you had to write an essay about this question what would your axes be?
  • Tom Storm
    If you had to write an essay about this question what would your axes be?Lea

When is your essay due? Any comments yet about all the responses to your question or are you just raiding the place for paragraphs?
  • Lea
    for soon, didn’t think that many people would respond so I didn’t had the times to read
  • Tom Storm
    Ok. Is it a question which interests you is it just something you have to respond to?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.