• Maureen
    There is a big difference between accepting death and wanting to live forever, and that is you can have the desire to live forever, but still accept that death is inevitable and we are all going to die at some point. Moreover, we are all going to die whether you accept it or not, so it really doesn't do any good not to accept it or matter if you do or do not accept it. For the record I am a Christian and I simply accept that death is inevitable. I also do not have the desire to live forever or not to live forever, because I already know that everyone is going to die at some point and so it really doesn't matter what I desire or what anyone else desires.
  • Maureen
    I posted this mainly because someone messaged me asking me if desire unending life, and I felt like they were trying to make a judgement based on my response and possibly ask other people the same thing subsequently. The fact is that I could desire unending life, but I know that I will still die at some point along with everyone else and therefore I do not have an opinion either way. There is simply no reason in my opinion to desire unending life or place judgement on those who do, when at the end of the day we are all doomed to die at some point regardless of what anyone desires or feels.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I think, for many who consider the 'early exit', the despair and angst over the infinite possibilities of life is unbearable. It becomes so intolerable that it comes to supersede the fear of death that the non suicidal often posesses. That fear of death is based in angst and despair, but instead of toward life, its over the infinite possibility that death poses.
  • Daniel Cox
    hi, this subject is my life's work. I've been beyond and back three times. Once was the Gift of Rapture, once was God taking me out of existence after being put to death in the electric chair, a lucid dream and then third was watching the movie Miracles are from Heaven on opening day March 16th 2016. I went with the little girl to heaven as she went in the movie, extrovertive mystical experience. I make soaps and one was in my pocket. I make them and give them away. I tried ferociously to give that one away before I got to the theater but God had another plan. He took that soap in my pocket and gave it to me along with the feelings from thousands of recipients of my free soap. He gave me every feeling every one of those people felt across a period of time each of them had those feelings of appreciation. God took all of those thousands of people's gratitude, every feeling from receiving the soap, taking it home, showing it, sharing it, feeling the joy & what not, thousands of people times a half dozen feelings or more, and God put it all on me in a timeless moment.

It was like going beyond and back. The Rapture was the best, the soap experience 2nd, and being taking out of existence was million times worse than how hell is described. Eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has in store for those of us who love Him. Happy Palm Sunday.
  • alan1000
    Hi Maureen,

From your messages so far, I presume you don't believe in life after death? Don't good people expect to live forever after they die?
  • Maureen
    I don't know if life after death exists, nor does anyone else. It is one thing to believe in something, but this will not change what actually happens when someone dies. There may or may not be an afterlife, but if there is not one then this will not change simply because people believe that one exists, and likewise there will be one if there is one even if people do not believe that one exists. I don't have an opinion though because I don't know either way.
  • I like sushi
    Not being a Christian I really cannot answer the question properly. All I know is that it makes more sense for me to contemplate life as life in the face of inevitable death. I certainly don’t see the value of living life as if it is preparation for some other ‘phase’.

When I understand that I will die it inspires me to stop putting off doing X or Y. The thought of my inevitable demise makes me want to do more and see more, to explore and experience, to plan ahead and be full of vitality. A fear not faced is an opportunity untouched. In effect “death” happens everyday and it is up to us to vitalise ourselves and take opportunities with trepidation AND excitement, rather than skulking in the shadows fearful of “doing wrong” or “sinning”. Sloth it the most common sin of humans by my reckoning; get off your arse and do that thing you said you’d love to do. Stop making excuses and feeding that Sloth-head!

Tomorrow never comes ... no truer words have ever been spoken :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.