• tim wood
    What's a jackboot?ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Usually
    "a large leather military boot reaching to the knee.
    used as a symbol of cruel or authoritarian behavior or rule.
    "a country under the jackboot of colonialism""

But for nos4, irony that I am sure he missed, or is still sniffing around.
  • NOS4A2

I was talking about military knocking on people’s doors, enforcing compliance orders. You’re talking about…me.
  • tim wood
    "Your so vain, you probably think,"... Nope, doesn't apply.

The "jackboots' all around are the police power of the state making sure your life is relatively safe and danger free. Why don't you start a list of all those "jackboot" functions. I'll bet you can get to a hundred without much trouble. Start with the last bridge you crossed: did you test it first?
  • jorndoe
    RIP Jason Hargrove of Detroit. :(

'Take This Serious': Bus Driver Dies Of COVID-19 After Calling Out Coughing Rider (NPR, Apr 2020)
    11 Days After Fuming About a Coughing Passenger, a Bus Driver Died From the Coronavirus (NYT, Apr 2020)
    Detroit bus driver who complained about a coughing passenger dies of coronavirus days later (WP, Apr 2020)

Understandable if his family/friends are p!ssed at contrarians/anti-vaxxers. :angry:

The vaccinated are angry. That's understandable but unproductive, health experts say (USA TODAY, Aug 2021)

(FYI, I have a short page elsewhere with some lessons learned from the pandemic; doesn't inspire much general trust in fellow humans.)
  • Benkei
    Sure, why don't you share the protocol and health region you claim this is the case and I can do some sleuthing to confirm what you say is true instead of taking your word on a policy in clear violation of the hippocratic oath.
  • NOS4A2

In this case the soldiers are there to enforce the state’s orders.

The police minister said, “As I have said previously, support from the Army will add another line of defence to the NSW Government’s crackdown on COVID-19 compliance.”

You may evoke euphemisms about keeping me safe, but it’s untrue.
  • Book273
    No thanks, I still need my job. Simple as it gets really. I am not in a position to change policy or order sets. I am in a position to lose my job or license, ergo, career, for telling of what I have seen and am expected to do. It has been like that for a number of years now. I advocate for my patients when I can, absolutely advise them not to blindly follow directions and to ask questions until they understand the answers. That's about all I can do.
  • Benkei
    Sure. So send it via PM or it will have to be written off as bullshit. And whistleblower protections exist too. So one wonders why you come here alluding to serious problems without any proof. You'd think patients have a right to know their care isn't prioritised. But I suppose your job is more important than saving lives if what you say is true.
  • Book273
    I have no illusions: my job IS more important to me than saving lives. I do the best I can within the rules I have to play by, but I did not write the rules. You speak of whistle blower protection, however it is about as effective as a restraining order; ask a domestic violence victim how much that piece of paper protected them. I known people in my feild that have lost their jobs, or been fined $25,000, for saying "We can, and should, do better." So spare me your judgemental bullshit. Work under my conditions, then tell me all about how full of shit I am. At no point have I called you out for your experiences and yet you insist on calling mine a lie; because they upset your sensibilities. Your narrow minded sensibilities can go fuck themselves.
  • Benkei
    Funny how you think talking like a street thug makes you think anybody will start believing you. As I thought, bluster and bullshit that ought to be ignored before people start worrying about going to the hospital to get help.
  • Book273
    People should always worry about going to a hospital to get help. It should be the last option used. There are all sorts of nasty bugs there and it is never clean enough. As anyone that actually works in one already knows. When there is no other option, go to the hospital. If there is any other choice, try that first.

Interesting that you mention my speaking like a street thug yet you started swearing first and I am the most accepting of other peoples experiences. You don't actually work in a hospital do you? I have never actually heard any doctor mention the hippocratic oath, let alone worry about breaking it, unless in a theoretical discussion. You sound idealistic and very short on practical, actual experience.

What is your prefered method for putting a body into a shroud?
  • Isaac
    Nice little story for anyone still convinced their governments have their best interests at heart with vaccine promotion...

Large-scale boosting in one rich country would send a signal around the world that boosters are needed everywhere. This will suck many vaccine doses out of the system, and many more people will die — Prof Sir Andrew Pollard, and Seth Berkley, the chief executive of Gavi, the vaccine alliance

A Covid booster jab will probably be required to protect a small number of the most vulnerable people, but a mass rollout may not be needed — Prof Adam Finn - Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation

The evidence is evolving. It’s moving. We don’t have a full set of evidence around whether this is needed or not — Dr Katherine O’Brien, the WHO’s vaccines chief - on boosters

I understand the concern of all governments to protect their people from the Delta variant. But we cannot accept countries that have already used most of the global supply of vaccines using even more of it — Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus - WHO

If we accept boosters in the U.S. while the rest of the world remains unvaccinated, and if we authorize them based on inevitable improved laboratory titers without clinical outcomes, we run the risk of creating a medical industrial perpetual motion machine.
    We will continue to breed new variants outside of our nation, which will lead to calls for yet more boosters, and we will continue to get new boosters without any evidence they are necessary (i.e., lower severe COVID-19 outcomes). Our arms will ache, our hearts will hurt, our wallets will be empty, and so too will our brains, as we will have abandoned all principles of evidence-based medicine.
    — Vinay Prasad - Associate Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of California

...meanwhile the US, the UK, Germany France and Israel all start their rollout of boosters.

Following the fucking science, my arse...

The WHO, the world's leading epidemiologists, their own fucking advisory board, the very organisation set up to advise on vaccines, and the university which invented the bloody vaccine all tell them not to roll out boosters...they roll out boosters.

In completely unrelated news...

Moderna, Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech have already inked more than $72bn (£52bn) in sales for this year alone, in deals for supplying follow-up shots and also the initial two doses for those being inoculated for the first time in less wealthy countries.

Analysts polled by data group Refinitiv have forecast revenue of more than $6.6bn for the Pfizer/BioNTech shot and $7.6bn for Moderna in 2023, mostly from booster sales. They expect the annual market to settle at about $5bn or higher eventually, with additional drugmakers competing for those sales.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/13/drug-firms-billions-dollars-covid-booster-jabs-sales-biontech-moderna-pfizer-drugs-flu
  • frank

Boosters :up:
  • Benkei
    I didn't swear unless your delicate sensibilities include "bullshit" as a swear word. I have two close friends who are doctors and neighbours too who work in hospitals. I don't know in which dreadful third-world country you work where the oath doesn't mean anything but they actually work with their oath in the back of their mind all the time and continously do things they personally would prefer not to because their oath requires it. It's not idealistic at all. In an ideal world they'd let fat anti-vaxxers die instead of postponing medical treatment for other diseases because the IC is full.
  • Book273
    There ya go! You don't know where I work, but will certainly talk shit about how I am lying. You don't don't work health care, you friends do, but have no problem telling someone that does work healthcare the realities of their job. So you have strong opinions, and that's about it. Go for you. Now go tell your plumber he is doing it wrong because you read pamphlet somewhere...
  • unenlightened
    Following the fucking science, my arse...Isaac

That's exactly the problem isn't it? The science fails to prioritise my arse in line with its value to me. Overall, nobody's safe until we're all safe, but in the meantime, Johnny Foreigner has a variant and I need a booster to go on holiday.
  • javi2541997
    In an ideal world they'd let fat anti-vaxxers die instead of postponing medical treatment for other diseases because the IC is full.Benkei

:rofl: :lol:
  • Benkei
    You've offered nothing in way of proof about something serious, which you claim is happening in the US. I just like to call it a third world country because it apparently is, where job security is so low, people will prioritise money over other people's lives. And healthcare is apparently at such an abysmal low level they've forgotten what their job is.
  • Isaac
    Overall, nobody's safe until we're all safeunenlightened

Should be the WHO strapline!

in the meantime, Johnny Foreigner has a variant and I need a booster to go on holiday.unenlightened

Yes, that's about the size of it. Partly it's good old fashioned selfishness, but partly it's the result of filtering a serious fucking crisis through a corporate advertising campaign like Facebook and Twitter with all the subtlety and nuance of a swastika. You see, these arse-saving xenophobes are the good guys. They must be, they're getting the vaccine.
  • Book273
    not the US. Canada. If you don't believe me feel free to look up manitoba headlines this last week. No nurses want their names mentioned and only speak to the news anonymously due to fear of being fired. Welcome to Canada eh! Don't get sick.
  • Wayfarer
    Paper proposing that the CORVID-19 virus arrived from comet fragments on Oct 11 2019. Consistent with types of theories called 'panspermia' proposing the regular ingress of extra-terrestrial organic matter by such means.
  • ssu
    But it has 26 references, so it has to be true (science), right?

Ah, the formidable strength of open research and not having peer review (or something like that). Every alternative is researched, every stone turned!
  • Wayfarer
    I’m not passing any judgement in its veracity but I thought it was interesting. I got Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe's book way back in the 80's on panspermia and found it fascinating. Kind of hope they're right.
  • ssu
    The possibility of diseases (viruses etc) coming from extra-terrestrial origins might be true. It is interesting. Little hard to prove that yet, I suppose.

If you find some viruses in Mars that are older and are similar to the ones here, that might be the "smoking gun". Otherwise it's difficult.
  • javi2541997
    As Spain approaches 70% target, who is still to be vaccinated against Covid-19? :up:

Spain as a country, however, is still progressing at an enviable speed with its vaccination campaign. With 62.2% of its population having received the full protection offered by the vaccines, only Canada is ahead among the 50 most-populated countries on the planet, according to Oxford University’s Our World in Data website. Spain is yet to see its campaign stall, as has happened in other countries such as the United States, Israel, Germany and France. Experts consulted by EL PAÍS recommend that the process continue in Spain for now without offering incentives nor there being penalties for the unvaccinated, Pablo Linde reports. Fernando García López, the president of the Research Ethics Committee at the Carlos III Health Institute in Madrid, argues that is better to “convince rather than coerce, something that can polarize.” He adds: “In Spain, there is no major anti-vaccination group against which we need to fight, as is happening in other places.”
    :victory:
  • Alkis Piskas
    Topic: Coronavirus

What does philosophy have to do with this? Isn't it a medical issue???
  • Isaac

Selfish bastards.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/world-has-entered-stage-vaccine-apartheid-who-head-2021-05-17/

Spain’s donation to four countries in Latin America – its first via COVAX – reflects how even rich countries with a lot of vaccines are donating a minimum. Spain, which has injected 57 million doses into its own residents, shipped 654,000 the first week in August. The delivery totals 3% of the 22.5 million doses Spain has promised, eventually, to COVAX.https://www.independent.co.uk/news/britain-charity-canada-africa-european-union-b1902578.html
  • javi2541997
    Selfish bastardsIsaac

Why we have to donate? Didn’t say they do not want anything from Spain anymore? Aren’t we supposed to be the bad persons due to conquista?
    Spain has not obligations towards Latin America
  • javi2541997

Aren’t we supposed to be poor according to literally all the world?
    How ironic this article was!
  • Tzeentch
    In an ideal world they'd let fat anti-vaxxers die instead of postponing medical treatment for other diseases because the IC is full.Benkei

Even anti-vaxxers (are forced to) pay for collective healthcare their entire lives, and you wish to "let them die" because you disagree with how they wish to exercise the right to their own body?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.