• gikehef947
    Yesterday I met an editor who showed me a contemporary book on metaphysics priced at 85,000 euros (= $ 100,880.5500). Only 25 copies have been printed and 7 have been sold so far this year. I will not talk about the content, because I could barely read any of its 500 pages. But who can afford to buy something like this, even if it is a masterpiece? Would anyone be willing to pay that amount for something like that? Why?
    Capitalism is evil
  • Nils Loc
    Would anyone be willing to pay that amount for something like that? Why?gikehef947

You know why. If you have more money than god you can diversify your asset basket in all kinds of fun luxuriant ways. Maybe you can own a few fractions of something stupid yourself, like a piece of energy devouring void (NFT), as a hedge against inflation... because fear tells you to diversify to keep up with the Joneses. There is never enough and you have to run to keep up. Or the heart wants what the heart wants.

Are you not a collector yourself? What is hiding in your closet? What blips and dots of an equity monster is writhing in your retirement account, squeezing the blood from human like organisms? A piece of the Amazon... Why spend $1000 dollars on a sofa when you can sit on the floor. Why spend $800 on a mattress when you could just sleep on a futon? Why rent a house for $3000/month when you can assemble a tent under an overpass on the urban outskirts.
  • Sir2u
    Capitalism is evilgikehef947

Wait a couple of weeks and you will be able to download the PDF from Demoniod. :wink:
  • Sir2u
    Why rent a house for $3000/month when you can assemble a tent under an overpass on the urban outskirts.Nils Loc

Well that sounds like fun. We will have $2950 a month to spend on booze, and the ladies. Or maybe just the booze, safer maybe.
  • gikehef947

An apartment, a bed, a mattress, a kitchen, a washing machine, a refrigerator ... are things that have immediate utility. You enjoy them. But what leads someone to buy such an expensive book (and also metaphysics)? It is crazy.

When a book is expensive enough, it is not shared, because the price gets cheaper.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Metaphysics is much more valuable than that. It's priceless.
  • Sir2u
    When a book is expensive enough, it is not shared, because the price gets cheaper.gikehef947

When something is expensive enough, someone will make a knock off, photocopy or just photos of it and sell it cheaper. It is the content that is valuable, not the book itself, And they don't care about the value of the original.

Fun fact of the day, pirating happens.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    It is the content that is valuable,Sir2u

So, who's the author?
  • gikehef947

The publisher called him Habib (?). Who is Habib? Does anyone know a metaphysician named Habib? An Arab, I guess. I knew of the existence of very expensive pictorial works. Nobody sells a Degas work, because of inflation. It is a stable value. But it is the first time that I find a limited edition of 25 copies of a book. It's crazy.
  • Book273
    Does your expensive work have a title? Depending on the content the price might be an amazing deal. I would drop $100,000.00 for the right information any day of the week.
  • Sir2u
    I would drop $100,000.00 for the right information any day of the week.Book273

Do you work for the KGB or something like that?
  • Book273
    Do you work for the KGB or something like that?Sir2u

No. But dropping $100,000 for some of the answers I am looking for would be a basement level bargain. So again, what is the title of this book? Finding 100k isn't all that hard.
  • Sir2u
    But dropping $100,000 for some of the answers I am looking for would be a basement level bargain.Book273

Unless I can see that there are opportunities to make a lot more, I will skip.

Finding 100k isn't all that hard.Book273

Yeah, definitely. Err well no, it is hard.
  • Book273
    Not if you are motivated. It's only 100k
  • gikehef947

It will have a title. I would call it the Maltese Falcon, because it is too expensive, even if it deserves it. A book is not a bag of gold coins.
  • jgill
    It will have a title.gikehef947

I thought it already had one? The mystery deepens.

If a bitcoin can go from $40 to $50,000 in a couple of years anything is possible.
  • gikehef947

The world has gone mad ... or always was.
  • Olivier5
    If the pages are made of gold, I don't see the problem...
  • Book273
    The world has gone mad ... or always was.gikehef947

It's a matter of perspective. I have seen paintings that look like they were painted by a colour-blind drunk sell for millions of dollars. A page from the Guttenberg Bible sells for $250,000.00 I would love to get a chance to look over this book... maybe add it to my library.
  • gikehef947

I don't know anything else. The information escaped a bookbinder's assistant. She was a bit drunk. When I asked out of curiosity, she was fired, ergo ...
  • jgill
    The information escaped a bookbinder's assistant. She was a bit drunk. When I asked out of curiosity, she was fired, ergo ...gikehef947

The plot thickens . . .
  • Book273
    Ah well. I will save my money for awhile longer then.
  • gikehef947

Paying a fortune for a jewel seems outrageous to me, but I get it. Paying a fortune for a painting, the same. But paying € 85,000 for a book (metaphysics!?) Is crazy. If you have that much money, donate to Greenpeace or adopt a child. It is not a matter of perspective.
  • Book273
    Absolutely it is based on perspective. I will do what I like with my money. If the book has appropriate meaning to me, it is worth the money. If I think it is trash then I will keep my money. I could pile my cash up and burn it if I found it amusing enough. Although that would be highly unlikely, even less likely than spending 100k on a book. But I have a few $10000.00 books and consider the money well spent. And no hideous paintings by seeming alcoholics, so clearly I have different values than others.

I am eyeing up a lovely book for my wife, current asking price is $35,000.00 It would look quite nice in the library.
  • gikehef947

I can not believe it. The world has gone to hell.
  • Primperan

I just signed up to tell you something: you must be a very young person. There are more things in heaven and on earth than your philosophy imagines, little Marxist.
  • Book273
    The world has gone to hell.gikehef947

Because I choose to use my money for something that I find valuable and not for something that you agree with? That is a very egocentric method for determining going to hell.

I agree that the world is exceedingly disappointing currently, but it has nothing to do with book prices or what people choose to do with their money. I find our general culture of fear and rights violating far more concerning than what people do with their money. Media will lead us to hell on earth, no doubt about that in my mind, but really, do what you like with your money, that's why it is your money afterall.
  • Ying
    Yesterday I met an editor who showed me a contemporary book on metaphysics priced at 85,000 euros (= $ 100,880.5500). Only 25 copies have been printed and 7 have been sold so far this year. I will not talk about the content, because I could barely read any of its 500 pages.gikehef947

PDF link? j/k
  • gikehef947
    I find our general culture of fear and rights violating far more concerning than what people do with their money.Book273

Is the same.
    I know the editor. He is a ruthless capitalist. That book will be in the public domain when frogs breed hair. The book he sells is written in Spanish. When do you think he will translate it into English if he makes enough money publishing a handful of books in Spanish?
    One guy trades in gold or diamonds. This I can admit. They are stupid goods for stupid people. But a guy who traffics in cultural property, be it science articles or philosophy treatises... well, it is something inadmissible.
    Culture must be in the public domain.

You must be very foolish, little Shakespeare.
  • Book273
    I can learn Spanish easily enough. Language is not a problem. I would like to view a copy before breaking out the money though.
  • gikehef947

I am not going to help you. What you want to do is against my principles.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.