• Cidat
    Is Most of our behavior determined by human nature or can the general behavior of humans be best described by random chaos?

• dimosthenis9Accepted Answer

Human nature is random chaos.
  • Cidat
    I see. So there is no fixed way in Which all humans behave.
  • dimosthenis9

They share some common principles. But yes no fixed way at all.
  • Cidat
    But you say we’re not completely random-oriented in nature.
  • dimosthenis9

Yeah but that doesn't mean that it isn't a chaos also.
  • Cidat
    Humans are very order-less :D
  • Cheshire
    It would make for some interesting poker games. I think the things people do have a reason. Not always a good reason but a reason.
  • prothero
    Well, time and chance happens to us all. The universe, however, with its self organizing process does not seem entirely like random chaos at all.
  • Outlander

Behavior can be against nature but nature can never be against behavior, which leads to my larger point. Just as one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man's idea of order is another man's idea of chaos. Without creating an enveloping obfuscation of both my point and yours in a fog of semantic divinity as I call it, well to be honest your question seems to be two unrelated questions. We have the age-old "nature vs. nurture" conundrum alongside the follow-up of, regardless of the answer to this question, is it chaos that defines one or the other?

Definitely a head-scratcher. Everything has an order to it, at least in some way, even if we fail to extract any real meaning from it. Before we understood what we now do about how many aspects of the world works around us, it was gods and magic. Depending on your interpretation, man brought chaos to order by simply being unable to understand it, which brought at least a sense of order to what was previously thought of as chaos. It's a real double-edged sword. I don't know how something works, so I might putter around with it some, and come up with an explanation that's not easily disprovable and makes people smile and nod their head. Is this a victory for chaos or order? The debate rages on.
  • TheMadFool
    Statistics, in the modern sense of the word, began evolving in the 18th century in response to the novel needs of industrializing sovereign states. The evolution of statistics was, in particular, intimately connected with the development of European states following the peace of Westphalia (1648), and with the development of probability theory, which put statistics on a firm theoretical basis. — Wikipedia

The peace of Westphalia (1648) was a watershed event for Human Nature.

Pre-statistics, we couldn't tell precisely whether there was such a thing as Human Nature. In this period, all we could say were things like, some people are good, some people like violence, and so on but Human Nature, to be real, requires statements like most/all people like meat, most/people believe in a deity, etc.

Post-statistics, surveys on what people like/want/need/would do/etc. could be conducted with the statistical rigor befitting them, analyzed, and inferences could be drawn based on them. Human nature then became a topic in its own right. I suppose many such studies have shown that Human Nature exists as should be evidenced by how the majority (most people) conduct themselves given suitably designed scenarios.
  • hope

randomness is just a pattern to big to see

the more chaos you see is the more ignorant you are
  • Cidat
    Everything has an ultimate nature. The question is How predictable human behavior in the physical world is If you assume nothing about a particilar individual. Is order or chaos the best way to describe How any particular individual behaves?
  • Tom Storm
    Is Most of our behavior determined by human nature or can the general behavior of humans be best described by random chaos?Cidat

I can't speak for others but I don't find this question coherent. What is random chaos? What is human nature? What do you mean by determined? And how would you measure this?

Is order or chaos the best way to describe How any particular individual behaves?Cidat

Is this a false dichotomy? How would you determine what is order and what is chaos and how do you establish the causal role either might play in behaviour?
  • Cidat
    I appreciate your honesty, because humans tend to be defensive with regards to deep questions as though They’re significant. The only thing that makes humans special is that we have free will.
  • Outlander
    The only thing that makes humans special is that we have free will.Cidat

Yet few will ever truly understand this. Is a lion not the king of the jungle? A whale or shark the king of the ocean? If a tiny one-celled virus decimates humanity, is that not now the apex predator with free will? Until you embrace what you were given, you have neither freedom nor will, simply convenient or rather circumstantial will. And this, is what defines an animal and so differentiates a human.
  • schopenhauer1
    Until you embrace what you were given, you have neither freedom nor will, simply convenient or rather circumstantial will. And this, is what defines an animal and so differentiates a human.Outlander

Freedom of will means more burdens on why we do anything at all.. Not so sure that's better that rote instinctual responses to stimuli and rather predictable behavior.
  • hope
    How predictable human behavior in the physical worldCidat

Open a psychology book and you'll read about yourself following predictable patterns.
  • Cidat
    Free will has nothing to do with meaning of life.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment