• TiredThinker
    I just saw the movie "altered states" a few weeks ago and wasn't really sure how it ended. Sounds like they did drugs and imagined stuff. Lol. What was the main character's final conclusion after all the experiments he did on himself?
  • Vince
    Drugs are bad.
  • James Riley
    Is that the one where the guy reverts to an ape-like baseline and eats animals in the zoo? If so, I didn't like it. I was hoping for more of an astral projection thing, traveling around the world and spying and whatnot. I don't remember drugs, just a sensory deprivation chamber.
  • Tom Storm
    I saw this when it came out. The effects back then had a huge impact and mainstream cinema still had surprises. Yes, the story is: an academic regresses using hallucinogens in an isolation tank and gradually we learn that consciousness can alter the psychical structure of the body itself as the reversions to an atavistic state pass from the mental to the physical. It's all petty arch. I think the love of a woman brings him back to normalcy. It's like a slow motion, arty variation of a Jekyll and Hyde tale.
  • Wayfarer
    Watch Brainstorm. Much better film from same era in a similar genre. Natalie Wood’s last movie.
  • fishfry
    Natalie Wood’s last movie.Wayfarer

The question is, did Robert Wagner kill her?
  • Wayfarer
    To which I don't have the answer. Really interesting film, though.
  • Vince

I loved Brainstorm, I still rewatch it every now and then.
  • fishfry
    To which I don't have the answer. Really interesting film, though.Wayfarer

I never saw it but I remember it at the time. When I was in school they showed us some science film about sensory deprivation tanks in which people would hallucinate. I thought that's what the movie was about.

From that film (the high school science film, not Altered States) I drew the conclusion that our bodily relationship to the physical world was an essential part of our psyche, thus (as I later came to understand it) disproving ideas such as simulation theory and uploading our minds to a computer.

I loved William Hurt in Body Heat. This site should have a movie forum. There's a lot of philosophy in movies. For example Body Heat teaches you not to help your new girlfriend get rid of her inconvenient husband, if you didn't already learn that lesson from Double Indemnity.
  • Wayfarer
    I drew the conclusion that our bodily relationship to the physical world was an essential part of our psyche, thus (as I later came to understand it) disproving ideas such as simulation theory and uploading our minds to a computer.fishfry

I perfectly agree. it's that intuition behind 'enactivism' or the 'embodied mind' kinds of theories which have become very influential since the 1990's.
  • fishfry
    I perfectly agree. it's that intuition behind 'enactivism' or the 'embodied mind' kinds of theories which have become very influential since the 1990's.Wayfarer

Today I learned! Thanks for the reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enactivism
  • Tom Storm
    There's a lot of philosophy in movies. For example Body Heat teaches you not to help your new girlfriend get rid of her inconvenient husband, if you didn't already learn that lesson from Double Indemnity.fishfry

That's very good.
  • jgill
    Renegade, a French film about the American wild west, is one of my favorites. Some really neat hallucinated snakes.
  • god must be atheist
    I think "Altered States" states that gerrymandering voting boundaries can alter a state not only in its political geography, but also on the outcome of national presidential elections.

By the way, these mushrooms I picked and ate are bitter, but yet they are wonderful.
  • TiredThinker

Brainstorm was a good one.
  • TiredThinker
    I wasn't sure if the conclusion of Altered States was that existence after death or between lives is one of uncontrollable change and entropy or whatever. Maybe that only in life can we control our reality?
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    "if you get high enough you can become a super strong wereape, but don't trip too hard or you'll become primordial goo"

At least that was what I took from it. Not going to lie, I don't think I ever watched it not stoned enough to consider seriously the risks that I could start de-evolving if I didn't watch out...
  • Foghorn
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorm_(1983_film)

Decided to rent the movie, looks interesting. Thanks. $3 rental on Amazon Prime.
  • Vince

Did you like it?
  • Foghorn
    We, um, lasted 15 minutes... :-)
  • TiredThinker
    Getting back to altered states. What was the final conclusion he made?
  • Tom Storm
    Hurt's character doesn't make a final conclusion. The film shows us an ending and we are to interpret it.
  • TiredThinker

If Cartman devolved into a dog the dog trainer could discipline him.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment