• god must be atheist
    His ideas seem interesting enough to hear about them. I also like the little young girl (of age of majority) in the picture. Can we somehow involve her also in the discussion?

I am a hedonist, inasmuch as I like pleasure and dislike pain. Anyone who is otherwise, must derive pleasure from pain, or derive pain from pleasure. That's possible, I am not trying to be funny.

The methods he suggests or proposes or predicts are questionable. But if they were not questionable, his speech would be not interesting.

I have three areas to suggest exposure of thought:

1. Much like pain killers are reactive to pain, we must experience mental anguish before the "mental anguish killer" can be administered.

B. Also, there is such a thing as getting used to substances; the human body is a superb adjuster, and attenuator if necessary, both for pain and for pleasure.

iii. Also, human perception requires change. That's a biggie.
  • Bartricks
    yes, but that is not equivalent to this:

Your argument of catchy maxims getting generated only by populist mass philosophersgod must be atheist

I did not say that proper philosophers never generate catchy maxims. I said that populist 'philosophers' will boil everything down to them. And indeed, 'philosophy' in their hands will really amount to nothing more than this because they can't afford to pursue an argument beyond a reflective member of the public's attention span. They need to make a living. Whereas academic philosophers have to produce good philosophy to earn a living.

Anyway, this guy does not appear to be an academic philosopher, or even to have a PhD in the subject, so far as I can tell. So he's not an expert, just a self publicist. But then I think most people here wouldn't know a real philosopher from their elbow. They probably think Sam Harris is one!
  • jgill
    So he's not an expert, just a self publicist.Bartricks

You're probably correct. And if he reads this thread there is no danger he will show up.
  • Baden

I'm sure he has thicker skin than that and like the rest of us doesn't give a damn what Barprick thinks.
  • Bartricks
    and like the rest of us doesn't give a damn what barprick thinks.Baden

That's somewhat ironic. Bumden.
  • god must be atheist
    I said that populist 'philosophers' will boil everything down to them.Bartricks

And that is not true, either.
    Anyway, this guy does not appear to be an academic philosopher, or even to have a PhD in the subject, so far as I can tell.Bartricks

Your opinion in this matter is respected, but it does not make any difference in our eagerness to listen to this Pierce.
  • Baden
    BumdenBartricks

:lol:
  • Shawn
    Anything on this @Baden?
  • jgill
    The sound of one hand clapping . . .
  • Baden

Getting the mod team to make a collective decision is like trying to herd cats. Of course, folks have other lives outside of PF to deal with. Give us a day or two more.
  • tim wood
    And after getting them together, getting us in a row. I'm hoping that before any invitation is sent, we (meaning you) are quite clear on what we're doing and how it should work. If it's questions or comments, for example, then a character or word count limit. Or maybe a panel consisting of guest and a few of us who are eager to play and will play by the rules. And maybe a parallel thread for additional open participation comment....
  • Baden

I'll be maintaining my homeostasis at a level away from suffering on that score. Anyhow, if we do a formal invite and David gracefully accepts, just... trust us, everything will be fine.
  • Baden

The cats have been herded and we would be delighted to have David on board. We are putting together a formal invitation and details of how we'll organize this.
  • jgill
    The sound of two hands clapping :smile:
  • unenlightened
    Nature, as in their natural habitat? Keep in mind that pigs are domesticated animals.

So, no better place for them.
    Shawn

Used to keep pigs, and they liked to roam in the forest. They came home for sleep and supper, and we had to keep them in when the hunters were out looking for wild boar. The forest is a better place than the pen.
  • Shawn
    Used to keep pigs, and they liked to roam in the forest. They came home for sleep and supper, and we had to keep them in when the hunters were out looking for wild boar. The forest is a better place than the pen.unenlightened

You'll find those forest rich with no food in no time given how many of them are in pig pens.
  • god must be atheist
    You'll find those forest rich with no food in no time given how many of them are in pig pens.Shawn

There are no hunters in the house, either... and the domesticated pigs are not witnessing or experiencing their brethren or themselves being torn to pieces while alive by wild and untamed coyotes, wolves, bears, goats and gnats don't taunt them either.
  • god must be atheist
    They came home for sleep and supper, and we had to keep them in when the hunters were out looking for wild boar. The forest is a better place than the pen.unenlightened

With the same token, forests are better for humans too. We go out, trekking, walking, enjoying the air, the ambience, the beauty of the wonder... shooting wild boar... then come home, eat, and go to sleep in our warm, comfy beds.

We are basically pigs. Domesticated pigs.
  • Down The Rabbit Hole
    Great - I've been a fan of David's for years.

I'm sure @schopenhauer1 et al would be interested in his suffering focused ethics.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    We are basically pigs.god must be atheist

Reminds me of Pink Floyd Animals
    "And any fool knows a dog needs a home
    A shelter from pigs on the wing."
  • 3017amen

I read this from Wiki:

He outlines how drugs and technologies, including intracranial self-stimulation ("wireheading"), designer drugs and genetic engineering could end suffering for all sentient life.[9]

His views might provide for some insight, considering many human beings are involved in, or enjoy consuming, some form of drugs and alcohol (for among other reasons, to mitigate their existential angst...).
  • Outlander
    I mean, is there some huge waiting list or..? :smile:
  • fdrake

It's more about writing and organising it, dates etc. We need multiple people to be quite attentive all at once while we have a guest (so we need multiple buy ins from staff), and it needs to be at a time the prospective guest can actually do it.

We also need to negotiate the format with them. These things take time.
  • Baden
    @Shawn Please see your PMs with the invite for David. If you'd rather we contact him directly, maybe you can suggest the best way.
  • Shawn

Sent via Twitter. He's really active, so you can reach him on any medium.
  • Baden

Alright thanks, let's see if he replies to that. If not, I'll chase him up elsewhere.
  • Baden
    David has accepted our invitation. :party: If everyone interested could please read up on his ideas and prepare some questions for him. We'll start with an AMA thread soon (anyone can contribute to the thread but please keep all questions to a 250 word limit, and please be respectful and considerate of our guest, thanks).
  • BC
    A transhumanist feature I would like to have right now is the 'Language Download' so that I could become an instant fluent French reader, writer, and speaker. I also want the 'Book Chip' which would deliver Jacques Ellul's writings to my memory, instead of to my iPad. I figure it would be delivered at 3:00 p.m., and by 3:30 I could start quoting Ellul, in French of course.
  • BC
    Your example is a good one, and there are many more examples of technological leaders not executing more than token gestures (if that) to achieve reachable improvements in health, sustainable energy, food production, and so forth--never mind super-health.

We can't get large sections of the populations to wear masks, wait in line 6 feet apart, get vaccinated, stay home (for the good of all) and so on.

I have a feeling that somewhere in this super wonderful scheme a large amount of brute force is lurking.
  • counterpunch
    Your example is a good one, and there are many more examples of technological leaders not executing more than token gestures (if that) to achieve reachable improvements in health, sustainable energy, food production, and so forth--never mind super-health.

We can't get large sections of the populations to wear masks, wait in line 6 feet apart, get vaccinated, stay home (for the good of all) and so on.

I have a feeling that somewhere in this scheme a large amount of force is lurking.
    Bitter Crank

Not in my schemes, BC. I don't want to change anything. I want to change everything. I want to cooperate insofar as is necessary to attack the global climate and ecological crisis from the supply side - starting by harnessing massive clean energy. If used only for the specified purposes of extracting carbon, desalinating water and recycling, we could do a world of good.

Oops, sorry David. I do not mean to hijack your thread. Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.

I would ask, if you believe in the transformative potential of technology, why is that? Is it just that you love gadgets?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.