• Tom Storm
    And God has no power to stop people from doing these things? Or doesn't know he needs to? Or he just doesn't bother? Which is it?Pfhorrest

You'll find everyone has a version of God that makes sense of the world for them. He can be anything from an all powerful autocrat, to the ground of being, depending on the believer's personality. In the end all we have of god are claims made by people. There isn't sufficient reason to be overly concerned about the logic of any of those claims.
  • Huh
    Laziness is punished.
  • god must be atheist
    My question is about your use of the modal term "possible" as "the only known quality of god"180 Proof

My dear 180: we already agreed, from the looks of it, that existence is not a quality or an attribute.

You somehow mistook the qualifier: "possible" for god, and not for god's existence. You must understand that I said, in unmistakable terms, that it is god's existence is possible, but not necessary. Not a quality of god.
  • baker
    David, fictional or not, represents a person, someone who begged and cried to a higher power while he lost everything he knew and perhaps even more. If you experience a hardship or criminal offense toward your person today, or perhaps toward your nation, and you seek justice, you are no different.Outlander
    David believed that The Highest Power In The Universe was on his side. This is what makes him different than the ordinary person.
  • god must be atheist
    And whose problem is that?baker

This is a problem for those who want to advocate that god exists for sure. And an even bigger problem for those who want to convince others that their description of god is true, because no description of god exists, to date. God, if exists, shows no qualities or attributes of himself. Those who proclaim they know god's attributes and qualities are merely liars, charlatans, dishonest persons, or at best, mislead persons.
  • Huh
    didn't you just do that?
  • baker
    This is a problem for those who want to advocate that god exists for sure. And an even bigger problem for those who want to convince others that their description of god is true, because no description of god exists, to date.god must be atheist
    And yet they don't consider it their problem.
    You consider it their problem -- and that is your problem.

God, if exists, shows no qualities or attributes of himself. Those who proclaim they know god's attributes and qualities are merely liars, charlatans, dishonest persons, or at best, mislead persons.
    And whose problem is that?
  • god must be atheist
    God’s revelation is bogus!Wayfarer

It is easy to prove that the bible is not god's reveleation. If it were, it would not contain self-contradicting features. And there are plenty in the bible. So... an entity that contradicts its own story of existence, is like the paradox "I always lie".

If god instigated the bible, and it were not common man's fairy tales, then it would not have the contradictions included in it, because somewhere it says "this is the truth", which means there are no contradictions. But there are. So this can't be the truth.

Unless, of course, Christians accept that their god is misleading them on purpose. "this is the truth" while it's not, is a clear admittance of unfair play.

What is a Christian to do? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
  • baker
    The presumed, claimed, or factual actions, qualities etc. of God are a factor in deciding whether to believe such a God exists.Pfhorrest
    ??
    That's a bit of strange religious epistemology ...

Why do you want to "decide whether God exists or not"?
  • baker
    What is a Christian to do? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.god must be atheist
    Well, and whose problem is that?
  • Huh
    God fears God
  • god must be atheist
    obviously the problem is that of the Christians. They are damned any way. So if you think that's not a problem, then you got a problem.
  • Huh
    proclaim they know God's attributes and qualitys
  • baker
    obviously the problem is that of the Christians.god must be atheist
    They don't consider it their problem, wherefore the following

They are damned any way. So if you think that's not a problem, then you got a problem.
    is moot.
  • god must be atheist
    it is their problem, they just don't know it. Much like you are denying it, although you know about it, that there is a problem for Christians, and it's huge. But faith is much stronger than facts, reason or logic for some people. You are one of them.
  • god must be atheist
    Ah. So what attribute or qualilty did I ascribe to god? None.

I only ascribed qualities to god on the provisio if the bible were true. But I don't accept that, I just presented that scenario. None of the funky claims that the bible describes do I make my own. But I show you there in that post, that those who DO make the claims of their bible their own, then they are in for a big surprise, because their acceptance is deceitful by the provisional entity, who deceives them big time.

This may be a bit convoluted for you. So here's the simpler version:

I don't believe the bible; I am saying those who believe it are deceived.

I don't believe that god has attributes that are known to us; but those who accept the attributes ascribed to god in the bible are mislead.

I hope this makes sense to you. If not, I wash my hands, and you please ask someone else to explain it to you.
  • 180 Proof
    Silly dodge. Again. I'll take that as a sign you can't answer my question from, which it's reasonable for me to surmise that "possible for X to exist", absent any data on X, is nonsense.
  • Huh
    I think that can be answered
  • 180 Proof
    By all means ...
  • Huh
    Schrodingers cat or rokos basilisk.
  • Huh
    I can't help but speak in metaphor or use references.
  • Pfhorrest
    Why do you want to "decide whether God exists or not"?baker

Same reason I want to decide the truth of any other claim: I want to believe only things that are true, and avoid believing things that are untrue.
  • bert1
    I want to believe only things that are true, and avoid believe things that are untrue.Pfhorrest

That's bold! Is it true?
  • Pfhorrest
    That's bold! Is it true?bert1

So far as I can tell, which is the most certain anyone can ever be about anything.
  • bert1
    So far as I can tell, which is the most certain anyone can ever be about anything.Pfhorrest

Fantastic! I think you've earned your philosopher badge!
  • god must be atheist
    ↪god must be atheist Silly dodge. Again. I'll take that as a sign you can't answer my question from, which it's reasonable for me to surmise that "possible for X to exist", absent any data on X, is nonsense.180 Proof

The assertion that X exists is nonsense in the absence of any data. But it is also silly to insist that it is impossible for X to exist, even if there is no data.

After all, by insisting, we claim our knowledge of it. Our knowledge is not absolute. If there is something that we don't know, because we have no data on it, does not exclude its possibility of existence.

Of course it is impossible to prove that things that we don't know exist, and it is silly to name and say their attributes and say "these things exist for sure." But it is also silly to insist that they don't exist and offer up their non-existence as a proven fact.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.