• Garth
    How should a leftist who is genuinely interested in strengthening the position of left politics in America respond to this crisis?

It seems that there is tension between the corporate, conservative right on one hand and the extreme populist right on the other hand. What a leftist can do to help is to accentuate the differences between these two groups in order to force them into conflict with each other. It would be truly wonderful if these two groups can be brought to destroy each other. To do this requires making some common cause with one or the other group.

For that reason, it is the absolute worst strategy to attack and insult the right wing generally. By posing yourself as a threat to both of them, you push them toward solidarity. That is why it is very important to be civil and to not call names in the course of your dealings, as a leftist, with right wing people.
  • Brett

It seems that there is tension between the corporate, conservative right on one hand and the extreme populist right on the other hand. What a leftist can do to help is to accentuate the differences between these two groups in order to force them into conflict with each other.Garth

Nothing will happen if that’s how the left regard the right. It’s far too simplistic to put it down to two factions as you have, with nothing in between,
  • Kenosha Kid
    And I’m a “ worm”.Brett

Seconded.
  • praxis
    I don't even know what NOS stands for.Garth

Putin gives all his trolls cute pet names. NOS in Russian means ‘small droopy balls’.
  • Garth
    What's the progression of the Trump-fueled populism from here? My guess is the next step is assassinations. They definitely can't allow a blue senate.
  • Garth

Here's exactly what I mean about leftist strategy: https://youtu.be/LN1LmXpQQQs?t=1518

I agree with Krystal Ball's strategic suggestion although I don't agree that this is populism per se.
  • Brett

I had a look at that but it’s all pretty shallow to me.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    What a leftist can do to help is to accentuate the differences between these two groups in order to force them into conflict with each other.Garth

What about collateral damage? The result might be anarchy.
  • Hanover
    His since deleted tweet:Michael

Twitter is considering a permanent ban. The President of the US is being moderated and banned on a website. How ridiculous is that.

I vote for a preemptive ban here. He's going to be looking for a new home to post, and I want to be proactive.
  • Brett

I vote for a preemptive ban here.Hanover

What do you mean?
  • Hanover
    What do you mean?Brett

That Trump is banned here.
  • hypericin
    It must be obvious to even the stupidest now, who these Trumpies are. For all their America this and Flag that, they hate this country, hate democracy. After 4 years of trashing this country, they literally trash our capitol! It amazes me how someone can wrap themselves in the flag, profess love for this country, while, at the very same time, shitting all over it.

I vote for a preemptive ban here. He's going to be looking for a new home to post, and I want to be proactive.Hanover

I wouldn't mind dogpiling on the motherfucker.
  • Brett

The President of the US is being moderated and banned on a website. How ridiculous is that.Hanover

What about this part? I’m not sure where you stand.
  • Brett

profess love for this country,hypericin

What’s “this country”?
  • hypericin
    Now we all know, this is what fascism looks like in this country. It is so dangerously strong, even with the most dunderheaded leader known to history, they almost pulled it off. (I don't mean this recent nonsense, they came way to close to winning... or to the election being stealably close). What if they can come up with an intelligent trump next time?
  • Changeling
    k
    She was veteran storming the capitol building only to be gunned down by police
    NOS4A2

All those Cunts needed mowing down, including their ringleader

Edit: this is my 666th comment - I think I'll leave it at that.
  • hypericin
    Poor @Brett is dazed and confused.
  • Hanover
    What about this part? I’m not sure where you stand.Brett

I mean that it's ridiculous that a US president can't make comments on a website that are not appropriate enough for publication so they have to moderate him.

I can see though how my comment might have been ambiguous.
  • Streetlight
    A reminder of what awaited protestors who tried to pressure congress over the (still ongoing) murder of black people by cops:

4jp21csv10giihl6.jpg

Their treatment, by comparison, of a bunch of redneck wankers upset that a corrupt plutocrat did not win their barely-there democracy:

Oh and I forgot to mention the selfies:

ACAB.
  • Brett

Poor Brett is dazed and confused.hypericin

What’s “this country”?Brett

Is it the country blacks live in? Is it the country the unemployed live in, or the homeless, or the minimum wage worker, or drug addicts die in high numbers? Is it the country where 1% own most of the wealth? Is it the country that has such a poor health system that the Covid runs amok.
  • Brett

That’s not the cops taking selfies.
  • Streetlight
    Ah right, it's just a dude in a vest clearly labelled 'police'.
  • Brett

The guy in the red hat took the photo.
  • Streetlight
    You're like, a bit dull aren't you?
  • Garth

Support for Trump and his populism must be sky-high among police. I'm not saying this sarcastically. Just look at exit polling data from the Georgia run-off. 70% of white males vote R, 96% of black women vote D.
  • Brett

I don’t get the connection.
  • Streetlight
    Support for Trump and his populism must be sky-high among policeGarth

That would make alot of sense. He supported them - and continues to do so - all through their continued murder spree of minorities.

Besides. The cops are the same people as those who made their way into the capitol. The distinction is a costume and a badge.
  • Garth
    Amazing to think that the left being full of people calling cops pigs might make some cops unhappy with the left.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.