• Jacob-B
    The Domino Effect as a model of Causality+

The proverbial Domo Effect provides an interesting insight and poses questions about the nature of Causality in general and the definition of cause and effect in particular.

What is the cause of flooring a row of dominoes? The straightforward answer would be that it is an initial sideways impact on the first domino. But from the second domino’s point of view, it is the tipping over of the first domino. The same argument applies to the rest of the row of dominoes, whatever their number. The fall of each domino is both cause and effect. The Domino Effect is of course just a conveniently illustrative example of Chain Reaction.

Nuclear and chemical reactions are what most people associate with chain reactions. They are characterised by fast amplification of energy followed by fast attenuation. The point is that in a chain reaction process the attenuation never reaches zero levels of energy and in that sense, a chain reaction never ends. The last domino to fall does change the method of the energy transfer but is not the end of the chain. The way I see it every effect turns into a cause which in turn turns into effect ad infinitum. The domino effect is perhaps the best analogy for describing the nature of causality..
  • tim wood
    and the definition of cause and effect in particular.Jacob-B
    the best analogy for describing the nature of causality..Jacob-B

Description/definition. Different. Both at the outset. But sooner or later one or the other.
  • TheMadFool
    Firstly, a domino effect isn't exactly a chain reaction. Yes, there's a causal sequence in the domino effect but what's missing is an amplification of the cause-effect involved, a feature of chain reactions.

Also, what do you make of the slippery slope fallacy? I don't know how to explain this but I like to look at it as a causal web and one causal strand in this web may either assist or, more to the point, inhibit another causal strand thereby preventing all causation from being domino effects.

A puzzle I'm working on, when I have the time of course, is whether everything has an effect or not. The principle of sufficient reason is quite clear regarding how everything has a cause but nobody seems too worried about the flip side of this coin i.e. does everything have an effect?

In terms of physical strength I'm well below average and I'm sure if I tried to push a fully-loaded truck, I wouldn't be able to. So, in a sense, the causal chain, insofar as the fully-loaded truck and me are concerned, leads to a dead end. In other words, I'm not, can't be, a cause with respect to the fully-loaded truck's motion.
  • Jacob-B
    I am not sure that the definition of chain reaction implies amplification.
    However, you can get amplification if you have a row of dominoes of increasing size,
    Regarding your effort to move a truck, it might have not much effect on the truck but it would have an effect on you i.e shortness of breath or bruised palms. It all stems from Newtonian laws.
    I cannot think of any application of force that doesn't have an effect.
  • Echarmion
    The way I see it every effect turns into a cause which in turn turns into effect ad infinitum. The domino effect is perhaps the best analogy for describing the nature of causality..Jacob-B

"Cause" and "Effect" are not ontological categories. They don't describe any state of affairs. They're merely temporal categories to order events. Like all categories, they can be arbitrarily applied according to purpose. To call something a "cause" or an "effect" is really only to point out this or that property as important for the purpose of communication.
  • TheMadFool
    However, you can get amplification if you have a row of dominoes of increasing sizeJacob-B

It gets harder to topple the next domino if the dominos increase in size until one doesn't fall over and the causal chain breaks.

A chain reaction will become stronger with every reaction in the chain and will continue to get stronger until every reactant is consumed.

it would have an effect on youJacob-B

Yes, but no effect on the fully-loaded truck, right? I guess I should've been more specific - my pushing wouldn't have the intended effect.
  • Outlander
    It gets harder to topple the next domino if the dominos increase in size until one doesn't fall over and the causal chain breaks.TheMadFool

I find this interesting. A massive 2-ton boulder perched atop a hill may need only the strength of a child to push it over and produce an incredible amount of energy.

If a small domino is able to topple a slightly larger domino (and so on and so on), doesn't the energy increase (not from nothing simply the potential energy stored [by whatever placed it there]) or, I suppose it doesn't "increase" the potential energy was simply there all along, rather, doesn't the kinetic energy amplify?
  • Mijin
    In reality, our planet contains many chaotic systems, therefore, in a sense, a small domino can topple a larger one but it's not an amplification or increase in energy. It's not one butterfly's wings flapping becoming the energy of a tornado. It's a difference in initial conditions ultimately delivering a different result set.

In the domino metaphor, it's as if there are many intersecting paths of dominos, some with small dominos, some big, and the exact course of the smaller dominos can ultimately influence which of the larger paths topples.

Perhaps this is too much of a stretch for the dominos metaphor?

Perhaps it's better to imagine, say, a pool table with various sizes of balls. If you run a computer simulation of such a setup, you would find that with precisely the same shots played, the effect of having a single extra ball, even one a couple millimetres in size, will ultimately lead to a different configuration of the big balls.
  • TheMadFool
    I find this interesting. A massive 2-ton boulder perched atop a hill may need only the strength of a child to push it over and produce an incredible amount of energy.

If a small domino is able to topple a slightly larger domino (and so on and so on), doesn't the energy increase (not from nothing simply the potential energy stored [by whatever placed it there]) or, I suppose it doesn't "increase" the potential energy was simply there all along, rather, doesn't the kinetic energy amplify?
    Outlander

I took a look at the wikipedia page on the domino effect. The entire phenomenon is based on what they call meta-stable states and my hunch is, as the dominoes get larger the less meta-stable they'll be and the more kinetic energy that'll be needed to knock them off balance and, if my reasoning is correct, there's going to a cap on how large the kinetic energy of a falling domino can become. :chin:
  • Jacob-B
    If each domino is, say 50% taller than the preceding one but has the base side the metastability will increase and the energy amplified. I guess it all depends on the geometry of the dominoes.
    At certain proportions and with no friction there might be translatory movement of the dominos rather than tipping over. There will not be amplification in that case.
  • TheMadFool
    Suppose the maximum potential energy of dominoes is 10 joules and when standing upright lengthwise they're in metastable state of 6 joules. If the kinetic energy required to topple the next domino in the sequence is 6 joules then, we have the makings of a domino effect. As the metastable 6 joules of energy in one domino gets converted to kinetic energy and the potential energy falls to zero, the next domino will fall and we have our domino effect.
  • Rotorblade
    The way the universe works is similar to an abstract way of domino effect. This abstract definition would be like starting from a state in which we have a space, time and local micro states of entities (can mean field values) effects are produced to all surrounding micro states of entities. These effects propagate at a constant speed and jump from one micro region of space to the next micro region of space (will have to be quantized and it’s not a problem since there is no evidence for infinities in nature). The jumping speed seems to be constant, that’s why this speed can never be exceeded like in a mechanical domino effect where all bits have equal mass and are placed at the same distance to one another. This also means there can’t be a slower speed either. In relativistic spacetime when things are stationary they travel at the same speed but in the time direction. Or you could view massive particles as spending time on a different direction than the direction of travel or interaction with a field(Higgs field)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment