• Merkwurdichliebe
    The right way to think of this virus, if you cannot wrap your head around the simple arithmetic, is like a man with a gun who's shooting people, but with this addition. If he shoots you, then you become a man with a gun who goes home and shoots his family and neighbors, and they then become people with guns shooting people too.tim wood

Terrible anology. Guns are actually lethal, they kill shooting victims at vastly higher rate than patients die of covid. My entire family got covid and no one died. I guarantee that if everyone in my family was shot, a number of them would die. Speculation speculation.

With this in mind, why don't we start cutting off everyone's index fingers as a precautionary measure to prevent gun deaths. If we do it before the fact, no one will be able to pull a trigger, and no one will ever be shot. After all there is no way of telling who might acquire a gun and begin shooting into crowds.

How retardedly tyrannical!!!

You wear a mask not just for yourself, but everyone else. You have to be extremely stupid not to get this.tim wood

That would be great and all if masks actually prevented the spread of covid, but we all know they do NOT. You have to be insanely retarded to buy into all this hysteria.

The tyranny, oh the tyranny!
  • tim wood
    It is completely clear that you know better than everybody. Yours the the tyranny of the ignorant stupid - far the most lethal of all.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    That would be great and all if masks actually prevented the spread of covid, but we all know they do NOT.Merkwurdichliebe

I thought masks are supposed to be quite effective. Where do you get your information from?
  • Leghorn
    To call public efforts to contain the coronavirus tyranny, is like calling a dust-devil a tornado; a creek, a river; a pond, the sea;...

...hunger, a famine; poverty, destitution; uncertainty, paralysis. It’s like calling Trump King Midas, or a child’s finger-painting a “Rembrandt”, or the whirlpool in a tub drain, Charybdis.

Of course, hyperbole can be used in all such examples to elevate, toward some rhetorical or poetic goal, certain low objects to an exaggeratedly higher level; but to call the mandates of mild administrative governments, meant to mitigate the illness and death due to epidemic, tyrannical, in a philosophical discussion, is not only to dilute real tyranny to the point of nothing, but also to turn it on it’s very head: far, far more souls have been, and are being even now, lost to the malevolence of tyrants, than will ever be saved by the humanitarian efforts to mitigate COVID...

...and many of these efforts are being, or have been, made by currently tyrannical governments!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    It is completely clear that you know better than everybody. Yours the the tyranny of the ignorant stupid - far the most lethal of all.tim wood

Yes, perhaps I do know better than everybody: I know better than to believe something because everybody says its true.

And I disagree. The tyranny from an individual dissentor, whether ignorant and stupid or not, is most definitely NOT the most lethal kind of tyranny. After all, I've never killed anyone, and I know I'm most definitely a stupid ignorant individual. Without a doubt, the ignorance and stupidity of the group is the greatest source of the most lethal and unjust tyranny ever witnessed in history: mob tyranny. And you can be damn well sure, when someone gets as angry over an individual's individual opinion as you appear to be, they sure as hell belong to the mob.
  • frank

Have you thought of staging a protest for your right to get sick as crap?
  • Leghorn
    It is a difficult situation...

I now am living with a woman, and have been for many years, under the same roof, whose family lives in various parts under different roofs, from children to grandchildren to great-grandchildren, who insists on meeting with them over Christmas, as we’ve always done, and they are in agreement with that. I am not, because I realize that we may get infected.

I tell her, “just wait till next year: we will be vaccinated, and then we can get together with your family as we’ve always done”, but she is obstinate.

What am I to do? I have the choice of refusing to go with her, to gather with her family, possibly alienating them from my affection, or going with the flow, gathering with them, but contracting COVID...

What a difficult position a virus and a division of mindsets about it have put us in!

This virus could not have been engineered in a lab as precisely as it has been by nature to divide ppl.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I thought masks are supposed to be quite effective. Where do you get your information from?Metaphysician Undercover

No not "quite". They have some percentile of effectiveness in case studies. But how it plays out in the real world is something else.

I get my information from life, and from research. Where do you get yours?
  • jorndoe
    , Strangelove

• masks are dirt cheap
    • widespread use of masks is known to make a statistical difference, check history for that matter
    • masks have been shown to make a difference in labs
    • heck, it's common sense, use your gray matter, others may not be interested in all your exhaust
    • no, you're not particularly entitled to stride about spreading disease
    • wearing a mask is being respectful to others, yep, there are morals somewhere here
    • the virus couldn't care less about you me us anyone, it's in the business of infecting, whether you cry "tyranny" or not
    * the virus is known to be dangerous enough, hopefully a vaccine can come about soon
    • yo' can friggin' live with the minor inconvenience ya' cry-baby :)
    • no, you don't have to wear the darn thing when on your own, at home, in your backyard, in your "bubble", whatever

5kjjfwhfsov3s9wd.jpg
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Have you thought of staging a protest for your right to get sick as crap?frank

Getting sick is not a right, it is a privilege.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    wearing a mask is being respectful to others, yep, there are morals somewhere herejorndoe

Definitely mob morality, I'll pass
  • Janus
    You would have to stop her going to avoid the possibilty of infection. Or keep away from her for 2 weeks or so.
  • Janus
    That's irresponsible. How would you feel if you knew you had infected someone and they died?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    How would you feel if you knew you had infected someone and they died?Janus

I'm certain I would feel the same as if I got the flu and knew I had infected somebody and they died. But I've never really contemplated what feelings it would invoke. Bear in mind this is all speculation, but I imagine I would definitely not feel like a killer in the sense of a public shooter. I would probably feel like a junk food salesman when they know of a person that died from diabetes, or like a cigarette salesman when they know of a person that died of lung cancer, or an auto salesman when they know of a person that died in a traffic accident. To quote Airplane : "they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash".

Im alright with reasonable regulations to prevent obscenely powerful human organizations from gratuituosly overstepping the line. But I'm totally opposed to babyproofing the world against the course of nature because it allows unthinking humans to feel a false sense of security (just another lie to live under), and it provokes generational cowardice and a Nietzschean mob morality.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    yo' can friggin' live with the minor inconvenience ya' cry-baby :)jorndoe

Did you know the CDC restricts the use of masks on newborn babies? They don't seem to be doing too bad, eh?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    This virus could not have been engineered in a lab as precisely as it has been by nature to divide ppl.Todd Martin

Nature and labs do what they do, it is people that divide themselves. Like guns, they do what they do, it is people that pull the trigger.
  • jorndoe
    Definitely mob morality, I'll passMerkwurdichliebe

This is mob morality in your book?

8zqrg2fvkejdy7up.png ... or ... fepuy8u5uut3pw47.jpg

Did you know the CDC restricts the use of masks on newborn babies. They don't seem to be doing too bad, eh?Merkwurdichliebe

Masks are (mainly) for others' protection.
    So you want to wear the annoying thing around newborns. Right?

Sure hope you're not one of these:

Creepy.
  • ssu
    Did you know the CDC restricts the use of masks on newborn babies? They don't seem to be doing too bad, eh?Merkwurdichliebe
    Newborn babies rarely get the cold. And if your baby would die of COVID, I guess that would get news coverage. But I guess the probability is similar for you to get shot by the police on the way from the maternity ward.

And what about cats and dogs? It's reported that they can get Covid-19 too. And the CDC doesn't want the animals to use masks either. Or not that I've heard.

pets-in-masks-300x225.jpg

Yet that isn't at all a reason why not to wear a mask.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Did you know the CDC restricts the use of masks on newborn babies?Merkwurdichliebe

That explains your actions then, you've found yourself a loophole. Go ahead, continue acting like a newborn, maybe you'll avoid the fines.
  • frank
    Getting sick is not a right, it is a privilege.Merkwurdichliebe

I hope you don't belong to the privileged class in this case.

Should be getting a vaccine soon. Thank you Pfizer!!!!!!!
  • tim wood
    Assholery, all the way through, The mantra of people like you is that you don't want to have your "freedom" limited, meaning your pleasure, comfort, or desires, being not old enough or mature enough to understand the concept of responsibility - and present in all degrees at all levels in all places.

What underlies your assholery is the idea that "I'll do whatever I want and you will pay!" What you in your assholery do not understand is that the world these days is knitted a little too tight for your immaturity. As such, you're not a joke but an enemy. Grow a real pair; grow up!
  • Changeling
    I too disagree with @Merkwurdichliebe, but your sycophantism is annoying
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    First responder in our group of friends is Covid 19 positive. NicK and I are the only ones in our group of friends who HAVE not contracted Covid 19. I pray she is okay because her better half only has one lung and they have 4 kids under the age of 13.
    :pray:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Should be getting a vaccine soon. Thank you Pfizer!!!!!!!frank

Will you be taking it? I already have a chair outside the facility! Hit me up! :strong:
    Actually I am a needle FREAK so I am more worried about the pain than the reaction to the vaccine. :yikes:
  • frank

Yep. I think it's the mRNA vaccine, so it's new technology. I've heard the side effects can suck.

I don't have an issue with needles, but I'm phobic about dental stuff. I have to take two tylenol PM's to get through having a tooth filled, then I sleep the rest of the day.
  • Count Timothy von Icarus

31% of US Coronavirus deaths are from people over 85, 58% over 75, 80% over 65. Just 6,900 under 45.

Whatever effects the virus will have, it won't directly affect demographics, except for indirectly due to the lockdowns and economic distress.

This is why I think comparisons to wars are spurious. A large proportion of the deaths are in people who weren't expected to live another 5 years, and many who were past their "health span." Obviously though there is a big difference between people getting sick at 65, getting ready to enjoy their retirement, versus relatives I have who are 90+ who express a desire to pass on, and are now living their last months locked in their room.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.