• Marchesk
    Is Sweden any worse off than some of the notable European countries like Italy or France who did lock down? Sweden is 25th in European countries per million for cases, and 11th in deaths. Then again, Norway and Finland are much better.
  • Baden

For me the most reasonable comparison is to look at their closest geographical, cultural, demographic, economic and political counterparts, which include the countries you mention and Denmark. It's not absolutely cut and dried but the u-turn is in itself an acknowledgement that their strategy up to now has not been successful.
  • Benkei
    A different interpretation: their voluntary lock down did quite well up to a point only now requiring mandatory lockdowns. Which is much later than other European countries, most of which have gone in their second round of strict lockdowns. While the number of deaths is higher than surrounding countries, it's not extreme.
  • Marchesk
    That's what I was trying to get at. Earlier lockdowns in other European countries did not prevent the need to lockdown yet again, so I'm not sure Sweden's strategy was worse just because now they decided to it was time to lockdown.
  • Michael
    Covid vaccine: Pfizer jab 95% effective and safe, final analysis shows

Final analysis of the vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech has shown that it is safe and 95 per cent effective in preventing Covid-19 disease, paving the way for its imminent authorisation and distribution among global populations.

The mRNA-based candidate has passed its full safety checks, Pfizer said, and is now ready to be presented to regulatory authorities for market approval.
  • Echarmion
    I am seeking input from anyone that can recall the beginning of the rise of Nazi Germany. I have read the history books, and it seems to bear horrifying similarities to Canada now.Book273

I don't see these similarities. Where are the brown shirts, where is the blood and soil rhetoric? Who are the people singled out as aliens for their ethnicity?

We are not after Jewish people, but anyone who dares speak out against the lockdown or masking, because clearly, they must be bad people.Book273

That's not remotely comparable. Also, I highly doubt "speaking out" has any consequences itself, other than social ones.

The worst part of it all is that, historically, lockdowns do not work and neither does general maskingBook273

Historically, all the lockdowns in Europe, the US and Australia have drastically reduced the spread and prevented or stopped the collapse of the healthcare system.

The exact efficacy of masks is unclear, but wearing one isn't much different from wearing a helmet on your bicycle.

What are the options available to a people when its government is hell bent on grinding them into the ground under the guise of striving for an unattainable goal?Book273

In the case of Canada? Waiting for the numbers to drop and then doing your protest?
  • Olivier5
    What are the options available to a people when its government is hell bent on grinding them into the ground under the guise of striving for an unattainable goal?Book273

Vote.
  • Echarmion
    I meant lockdowns that are not related to covid. Ergo, historic lockdowns.Book273

Like which ones?

Methinks the price be too high.Book273

And because you think that, the government are fascists?
  • SophistiCat
    Mods, this is dangerously stupid. I don't think that our board should be adding to the Covid disinformation on the 'net. (And I don't care if some shrill idiot calls us fascists, and neither should you.)
  • Baden

You are right, actually. Deleted.
  • ssu
    Is Sweden any worse off than some of the notable European countries like Italy or France who did lock down? Sweden is 25th in European countries per million for cases, and 11th in deaths. Then again, Norway and Finland are much better.Marchesk
    No, yet as it is naturally compared to it's neighbors, Sweden looks worse. Perhaps if it was next to Belgium, things would look better. Here's the situation in Europe, and you can see how Sweden compares to Norway, Finland or Denmark:

w45_46_COVID_subnational_Last_2week.png?itok=1TUg0hT4

EnFK7w1W4AAY7eD?format=jpg&name=large

Here even if the country is one of more brighter spots in Europe, we are implementing new restrictions as it's estimated a sharp rise in cases will happen as the second wave hits. The above graph explains well why Sweden is issuing restrictions.
  • Baphomet
    Anyone care to place a wager over how many Tyson managers will survive being guillotined?

"Tyson supervisors at a pork processing facility in Waterloo, Iowa took bets on how many workers would get infected with Covid-19, even as they took measures to protect themselves and denied knowledge of the spread of the illness at work, according to new allegations in a lawsuit against the company and some employees."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/business/tyson-coronavirus-lawsuit/index.html
  • Hippyhead
    I remain intrigued by the idea that when seen from the perspective of the biosphere as a whole, we are the virus, and the corona bug is the antibody.

We are pushing the biosphere hard enough that significant parts of it are in risk of collapse, and the biosphere is responding by sending it's antibody soldiers to the site of the infection. If we keep pushing against the limits of the biosphere and the corona bug does not end the infection, more antibody soldiers will be sent.

If we keep pushing, either we will kill the biosphere, or it will kill us. Either way we lose.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    the biosphere is responding by sending it's antibody soldiers to the site of the infectionHippyhead

It's not doing a very good job, and if it were actual medicine, it would be nothing more than a useless placebo. If we assume the official death toll is accurate (which anyone with 2 shits for brains knows has been grossly inflated), covid barely ranks in the top 10 causes of death worldwide. It needs to start killing more efficiently and more indiscriminately if it hopes to effectively cure the disease of mankind.

The question is: why has society implemented such draconian measures with covid, but not with the other more prevalent causes of death? I guess we don't mind if people die from heart disease and traffic accidents, but god forbid anyone die from covid. Very suspicious.
  • frank
    $1000 fine and possible jail time for not wearing a mask in my town. Finally.
  • Changeling
    not wearing a mask where? Does that include on the streets?
  • frank
    Just indoors.
  • Benkei
    That makes it hard to give head in the bedroom.
  • Book273
    Heart disease and traffic accidents are, in a general sense, brought on by lifestyle and personal choices. I do not necessarily agree, however, there are usually factors that come into play with those events. The implication is that Covid cannot be blamed on the person getting Covid and therefore we all have to save each other from covid exposure. I find the commonly used statement of "No more deaths need to occur." very poorly thought out, and exactly wrong. All the deaths that occur need to. It is the only certainty that we have. All of us will end, just a fact. How and when are the question, but the result is absolute. Perhaps Corona is the earth ridding itself of us, and if so, we have it coming, but likely not. I suspect more of a light thinning will be the end result.
  • Wayfarer
    Australia is doing OK. Victoria and NSW, two largest states, have no or one-three active cases. Trap, track, trace has worked, the Victorian second wave which peaked early August has been controlled. Internal borders are being opened and many controls eased. But signing into restaurants and hospitality venues is compulsory along with various other controls. Helps being an island continent, for sure, but the response also been a model of cooperative federalism driven by public health science not politics.
  • frank
    That makes it hard to give head in the bedroom.Benkei

Sacrifices have to be made.
  • ssu
    . Perhaps Corona is the earth ridding itself of us, and if so, we have it coming, but likely not. I suspect more of a light thinning will be the end result.Book273
    Not happening even that light thinning. Even tripple the death toll and it wouldn't have any effect on the demographics.

I'd say the real changes on human population come from:

a) Prosperity and the pension system: people don't make babies in order for there to be someone to look after them when they get older.

b) Lifestyle changes and changes in the society: women don't have so many babies as before. A lot more single people and less children.

Final nail in the head for population growth will be when it's acceptable to live your life with a humanoid robot. Hedonistic individualism rules. Some corona killing a few million doesn't flinch the population stats. Those mentioned above do.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Heart disease and traffic accidents are, in a general sense, brought on by lifestyle and personal choices. I do not necessarily agree, however, there are usually factors that come into play with those events. The implication is that Covid cannot be blamed on the person getting Covid and therefore we all have to save each other from covid exposure. I find the commonly used statement of "No more deaths need to occur." very poorly thought out, and exactly wrong. All the deaths that occur need to. It is the only certainty that we have. All of us will end, just a fact. How and when are the question, but the result is absolute. Perhaps Corona is the earth ridding itself of us, and if so, we have it coming, but likely not. I suspect more of a light thinning will be the end result.Book273

The factors involved in traffic death and coronary failure are easily as random and accidental as any covid death, and society has much more accurate information concerning the former two. Where are the laws to prevent such horrors? It is obvious that there is a major inconsistency in the way society is coping with all these potentially fatal threats.

And at this point, considering the alleged fatality rate of covid, it does not kill fast enough to put a minor or significant dent in the thinning of the global population. Bearing that in mind, the retarded tyrannical measures being imposed on everyone feels more like some type of fast food social experiment than an actual concern for people's health.
  • Baden

Jesus, just wait a few months for the vaccine and then you can go and get pissed in the pub again. Tyranny, my cock.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Jesus, just wait a few months for the vaccine and then you can go and get pissed in the pub again. Tyranny, my cock.Baden

Yes, total tyranny. Tyranny is tyranny, no matter how you justify it. And if you are trying to justify it, it likely you are a tyrant yourself.

And, how effective is a vaccine gonna be with a virus that the body does not develop a natural immune response to and can be contracted multiple times?
  • Baden
    And if you are trying to justify it, it likely you are a tyrant yourself.Merkwurdichliebe

Not a very good one apparently, seeing as you're still here.
  • tim wood
    the retarded tyrannical measures being imposed on everyoneMerkwurdichliebe
    What you don't get is that traffic death and heart attacks are single events. You're in an accident or have a heart attack and whatever happens, happens, and that's it.

The right way to think of this virus, if you cannot wrap your head around the simple arithmetic, is like a man with a gun who's shooting people, but with this addition. If he shoots you, then you become a man with a gun who goes home and shoots his family and neighbors, and they then become people with guns shooting people too.

You wear a mask not just for yourself, but everyone else. You have to be extremely stupid not to get this.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Not a very good one apparently, seeing as you're still here.Baden

Right, you have been waiting for the chance to ban me for a while now. But don't feel bad, most tyrants aren't very good in the first place.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.