• Heister Eggcart
    Which head did you nod with, Agu? O:)
  • Agustino
    The one down there X-)
  • Agustino
    Is that bad? :-O
  • Heister Eggcart
    Yes. Judgement has been made, now sit down.
  • Agustino
    Sit down where? :-O
  • Heister Eggcart
    Not on my dick. Find your lady.
  • Agustino
    Sit down in my lady's lap? Isn't that supposed to be kind of the other way around mate?
  • Heister Eggcart
    I said find, not find her and sit on her.
  • Agustino
    I said find, not find her and sit on her.Heister Eggcart
    So where do I sit once I find her? :-O
  • Heister Eggcart
    On the floor at her feet.
  • Agustino
    It's going to be cold on the floor... :(
  • Heister Eggcart
    Make her sit with you.
  • Agustino
    That's far worse, then she will be cold too! That's a disaster!
  • Heister Eggcart
    No, you hug her as the dust bunnies snuggle with you.
  • Agustino
    Ah, that's how the shit that sometimes appears in my place is called >:O
  • Question
    We might then discuss whether any of these are good reasons in particular circumstances. The latter, for example, might work for monks, but not so much for priests, and even less for the laity.unenlightened

Sure, not everyone can be Marcus Aurelius or a St. Augustine or a Buddha; but, from a peculiar point of view, when someone values the teachings of Jesus or Zeno or Buddha, which aren't that many people, then one feels compelled to imitate them and try and follow their footsteps. While, you may say that "truth is a pathless land" according to one of your favorite philosophers, I would have to say the is some truth in what they say. Time would attest to that fact.

If society is obsessed with matters such as sex and sexuality, then I say fuck society. Erich Fromm would agree?
  • unenlightened
    While, you may say that "truth is a pathless land" according to one of your favorite philosophers, I would have to say the is some truth in what they say. Time would attest to that fact.

If society is obsessed with matters such as sex and sexuality, then I say fuck society. Erich Fromm would agree?
    Question

Of course. Society is obsessed with wealth and power and status as well, at least it is if you attend to the media. It is easy enough to dismiss all that. At least, it is easy in theory. In practice, one must be very wary of one's motives. Is there some kudos in celibacy? Does it give rise to a feeling of spiritual superiority? Spiritual practices always have such dangers.

The land is pathless because one is not going anywhere, but staying with the truth. To be going somewhere is to be moving away from the truth of what one is, towards the image of what one might become.

Let me put it very simply; if one sees clearly that sex is not necessary to one's life, then there is no difficulty. I am like this with cars. I know most people around me have a car, and I see the use, but also the problems, and it is no effort for me to decide to avoid having one. Sometimes I have difficulties because I don't have one, but those difficulties are small compared to the trouble and expense of owning one. If sex is like that, then there is no problem leaving it behind. But If I found that I was constantly thinking about having a car, and disparaging those that have them, and lauding myself for doing without, then the truth would be that I was more obsessed with cars than those that had them. And that would be silly.

So to be free from the obsession with sex that some people (but probably fewer than appears) have is certainly to be looked for. But celibacy maintained through gritted teeth, as it were, is not any kind of freedom, and maintains the obsession far more strongly than having a sexual relationship.
  • Question
    Let me put it very simply; if one sees clearly that sex is not necessary to one's life, then there is no difficulty. I am like this with cars. I know most people around me have a car, and I see the use, but also the problems, and it is no effort for me to decide to avoid having one. Sometimes I have difficulties because I don't have one, but those difficulties are small compared to the trouble and expense of owning one. If sex is like that, then there is no problem leaving it behind. But If I found that I was constantly thinking about having a car, and disparaging those that have them, and lauding myself for doing without, then the truth would be that I was more obsessed with cars than those that had them. And that would be silly.

So to be free from the obsession with sex that some people (but probably fewer than appears) have is certainly to be looked for. But celibacy maintained through gritted teeth, as it were, is not any kind of freedom, and maintains the obsession far more strongly than having a sexual relationship.
    unenlightened

Yes; but, don't you feel joy from not having a car and smile to yourself at times when you see that someone gets a ticket or is stopped so the Bobby can reach his quota?

I feel different. Different in a good way. I feel happy that I am not like the rest of people, whom I find more strange than relatable. Maybe it's my genetics or maybe it's my psychology, maybe it's me just being me? I find it funny that people tell me that I will be unhappy or miserable or not fulfilling a bodily need. It's really hilarious the belief people have about sex, and mind you I keep a mental record of how often I think about it, and it ain't that much (hopefully less and less as the years go by)!

Cheers.
  • unenlightened
    don't you feel joy from not having a car and smile to yourself at times when you see that someone gets a ticket or is stopped so the Bobby can reach his quota?Question

No, not at all. People on my street have constant problems parking because there are more cars than spaces. I don't have their problem and am glad of that, but it would bring me joy if their problems could be solved, if only because happier neighbours are more pleasant to live with.

It is not for me to tell you whether you are miserable or not, or obsessed or not, or indulging in a sense of superiority or not. Or even being ruled by a fear of relationship - that is a possibility too. But comments elsewhere eventually drew me to read this thread, which I found rather sad and unenlightening, so I thought to make some contribution to the rather overheated conversation. Good luck to you in your abstinence, and there's no need to justify it to me or anyone here.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.