• Mr Bee
    The thing is the GOP doesn't have to do both before the election. They have the lame-duck session to get Barrett through. There's no reason for them to hold up the stimulus like this especially when the Fed is giving dire warnings if none is passed. I mean I guess it's not surprising that McConnell is prioritizing filling in the courts over helping the American people (I mean the bill passed by the House was on Mitch's desk as far back as May and wasn't even taken up), but apparently Trump just gave away the game which I'm sure will help him in the election where he's 15 points down and people desperately need relief.
  • tim wood
    Trump kills stimulus talks until "after he wins the election." Interesting. Cannot wait for a Supreme Court Justice, but can wait on a crashing economy. Oh, wait! The economy only means people will be hurt. But Amy Coney is what He wants, and can't wait on that.

The real mistake is in gauging, comparing, contrasting Trump with any normal human being. But he is not, and is favored in being compared in any comparison. Shakespeare knew him:

"...his complexion is
    perfect gallows. Stand fast, good Fate, to his
    hanging: make the rope of his destiny our cable,
    for our own doth little advantage. If he be not
    born to be hanged, our case is miserable.

I do not claim there is a hanging case against him, but I think there's a fair-to-good chance. He told the Russians secrets and people died, and with that likelihood his apparently being in step with whatever a Russian might want, at the expense of - really - the rest of the world. He's a pig, but he's their pig.

And were he to hang, and I see the day, sooner than later, I will sleep that night in peaceful appreciation for justice done, though far the better done much earlier. And there is justice waiting for abettors.
  • creativesoul
    The thing is the GOP doesn't have to do both before the election.Mr Bee

Good point.

The suffering of the American people due to covid is sobering despicable prima facie evidence that the government is not working on behalf of the best interest of all Americans. The people can see that much. Some know that. Hence, the actions to suppress the vote of very very actively engaged voters is being taken by the same elected officials that have sorely neglected their duty to Americans.

I suspect that there are enough people working to reduce the effects/affects of the abundant disinformation that Biden will win. That's just a start though. He is still highly unlikely to do what needs to be done in order to increase the livelihood and well-being of everyday normal working class American citizens in any significantly different way than the status quo prior to and since Trump.

I've said all along that Trump is not the problem, he is a symptom thereof.
  • frank
    He could get along fine for a while and then take a nose dive. That would be dramatic.
  • Maw
    Oh fuck yes Stephen Miller has it
  • Pfhorrest
    I thought he was a vampire. Can vampires even get COVID?
  • Streetlight
    Well we know it can cross species.
  • Pfhorrest
    Oh right, and vampires are even more closely related to bats than we are. Makes perfect sense.
  • Benkei
    I take it Stephen is a cunt. Why is he a cunt?
  • Michael
    Pelosi questions whether Trump taking steroids for COVID-19 impacted decision to halt coronavirus stimulus bill

Medication impairing his judgement?

He was tweeting non-stop from 7:30-9:30 yesterday. He's going even crazier than usual.
  • Echarmion
    Medication impairing his judgement?Michael

That's certainly one explanation. It doesn't seem to be a move to boost his chances at re-election, quite the opposite.

So it's either unrelated to the election (impaired judgement falls under that heading) or preparation for some future move pre or post election.
  • Streetlight
    I wonder why people feel to need to come up with excuses for his behaviour other than the sheer fact that he is a fucking moron who has no idea what he is doing and has demonstrated this time and time again - with the exception of the utter lucidity he has when pleasing his corporate overlords and nazi base.

Like, what judgement did he have to impair to begin with?
  • Streetlight
    Greece: Antifa nation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/07/golden-dawn-leader-and-ex-mps-found-guilty-in-landmark-trial

"A Greek court has delivered an overwhelming conviction against Golden Dawn, finding the neo-fascist party guilty of operating a criminal gang that brutally targeted opponents under the guise of being a political group. At the end of a trial launched more than five years ago, the three-member tribunal headed by presiding judge Maria Lepenioti, announced that seven of Golden Dawn’s leaders were culpable of directing the deadly organisation. Others were found guilty of the lesser charge of participating in the criminal gang. The judgement was met with jubilation by thousands who had gathered around the heavily guarded court complex ahead of the verdict chanting “Nazis belong to prison.”

Wonder which liberal or 'libertarian' will come to their defence and whine about fascist 'rights'.

--

This is pretty wild btw.
  • Benkei
    If this happens, expect BLM protest but with guns every day until Trump is gone or the US has finally spiraled into an openly oppressive police State with a nice tally of shot protesters, curfews and all that other stuff we're used to seeing from Honduras and Yemen.
  • frank
    this happens, expect BLM protest but with guns every day until Trump is gone or the US has finally spiraled into an openly oppressive police State with a nice tally of shot protesters, curfews and all that other stuff we're used to seeing from Honduras and Yemen.Benkei

And Princess Leia goes looking for a Jedi to help the resistance. It's going to be great.
  • Relativist
    Medication impairing his judgement? — Michael

That's certainly one explanation. It doesn't seem to be a move to boost his chances at re-election, quite the opposite.
    Echarmion
    His supporters will no doubt express delight that he's done this. If they're in Trump's vicinity when he farts, they rush to get close and enjoy the bouquet.
  • Maw
    I take it Stephen is a cunt. Why is he a cunt?Benkei

He has spearheaded the Trump administration's racist immigration policies including the concentration camps.
  • Michael
    I heard they started sterilising women there? The Rome Statute classifies that as a crime against humanity,
  • Maw
    I heard they started sterilising women there? The Rome Statute classifies that as a crime against humanity,Michael

Yes we love committing crimes against humanity in this country we honestly can't help ourselves.
  • Mr Bee
    Boy I can't wait until the next debate. It will be like the last one except literally on steroids.
  • Pfhorrest
    Trump Says He’s Stopping Stimulus Talks Until After ElectionMichael

And then immediately backpedals... ish:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-kills-stimulus-talks-tweets-no-deal-until-after-i-n1242312
  • praxis
    Profiting off knowing what the stock market will do prior to its tweet induced fluctuations?
  • ssu
    Greece: Antifa nation.StreetlightX

At least Europol seems to agree with you:

Although the number of Islamic-inspired terrorist attacks in Greece was non-existent, the report said that “the number of left-wing and anarchist terrorist attacks in 2019 (26) reached the level of 2016 and 2017 after a decrease in 2018. All attacks took place in Greece, Italy or Spain,” adding that these three countries continue to “be the epicentre for attacks carried out by left-wing and anarchist terrorists.”
    (See Europol says all terrorist attacks in Greece last year were by anarchists)

Stats from 2018:
    attacchi-a-segno.jpg

From the actual report Europol 2020 terrorism report:

Anarchist modi operandi in 2019 mirrored those of previous years. Anarchist extremists formed unstructured nonhierarchical groups that operated mainly in and around specific urban areas. They launched violent campaigns and engaged in clashes with the police during demonstrations organised by them or after infiltrating ‘mainstream’ nonviolent demonstrations. Anti-fascism, anti-racism and perceived state repression remained the primary topics of importance. Left-wing and anarchist extremists engaged in violent confrontations with far-right sympathisers and, to a lesser extent, targeted representatives and premises of right-wing political parties. Anti-globalisation and anti-capitalism were also on their agenda, with banks, national and multinational companies and private property targeted during violent protests.

For those interested, the Europol report covers naturally also right-wing, jihadist and separatist terrorism.
  • ssu
    He's going even crazier than usual.Michael
    I think that Trump is finally losing it. The election, I mean.

Halting the stimulus talks and taking up (again) the idea of "it's just as the flu" on the pandemic may have been the last straw. Even if the polls may be incorrect, they aren't totally incorrect. Otherwise he is just the same inept himself as he has been all the time.

electoral.college.map.2020_10.07.png
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I think that Trump is finally losing it. The election, I mean.ssu
    Don't count him out just yet. What I see on your map representing Arizona is inaccurate as far as I can tell. There are a sea of Trump flags down the street but then again, as I have expressed in the past, we take our rights seriously and Beto O'rourke is what keeps people around here awake at night.
    There might be a shred of truth to the silent supporters that will rise up on election day.
  • NOS4A2
    Peak Trump today. So good. I just think it’s a little too early in his treatment to making these calls.

• ssu
    I think it will be close because I do think that it is an reality that many might say that they vote Biden in a poll and then vote Trump. Still, it's quite a gap and time is getting short: Trump has to win many states that now Biden is leading and not lose any. A 6% lead from Biden in Pennsylvania is a radical turnaround if the state would go to Trump. Those who really make people to vote Trump are the idiots who don't just oppose Trump, but especially hate Trump voters. I've always said that it's the condescending hostile attitude that really leave a bad taste in mouth. And that should be a line that in a democracy you shouldn't cross.

But who knows, Trump can get re-hospitalized and Joe Biden can get a stroke next week or something.
  • ssu
    Getting Covid-19 is a blessing in disguise? Ok. :roll:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.