• Gitonga
    What is an effective way to curb corruption in 3rd world countries mainly in Africa and south America? Historically speaking how have first world countries gotten rid of corruption? It's sad cause some of these countries loose upto 80% of their budget due to corruption.
  • Olivier5
    It should also be reduced in North America and Europe. A few ideas:

- ban private funding of election campaigns or cap it to a certain low maximum
    - get the state to reimburse election campaign costs within a certain treshold, for all candidates getting at least 5% of expressed votes.
    - set up dedicated anti-corruption units in the judiciary to fast-track high-level corruption, and isolate such units from political pressure.
    - for petty corruption (mainly) set up a dedicated phone line to report corrupt officials, cops, etc.
    - force all elected officials to declare and itemize their wealth, prior and after their turn, in a verifiable manner.
  • Banno
    What is an effective way to curb corruption in 3rd world countries mainly in Africa and south America?Gitonga
    ...for first world countries to get the fuck out.
  • David Mo
    What is an effective way to curb corruption in 3rd world countries mainly in Africa and south America?Gitonga

Put an end to the global corporations.
    Put an end to the armies (both imperialist and neo-colonial).
    Put an end the bureaucracy.
    Put an end to ignorance and superstition (especially religious).

Easy, it is not?
  • Sir2u

I live in one, so I have a bit of experience with the topic.

Some of the proposed ideas might work, others no.

- ban private funding of election campaigns or cap it to a certain low maximumOlivier5
    Ban all funding, make the candidates or their followers pay for what they want or need. Personal checks only.

- get the state to reimburse election campaign costs within a certain treshold, for all candidates getting at least 5% of expressed votes.Olivier5
    Why should the tax payer have to foot the bill at all? In any country around the world the money is needed in health care.

- set up dedicated anti-corruption units in the judiciary to fast-track high-level corruption, and isolate such units from political pressure.Olivier5
    In most places they cannot afford to pay enough for these people not to be corrupted. Why would anyone work for a small wage and stick his neck out to catch crooks?

- for petty corruption (mainly) set up a dedicated phone line to report corrupt officials, cops, etc.Olivier5
    These guys sell or give the info to the bad guys to make a bit extra or keep their families safe.

- force all elected officials to declare and itemize their wealth, prior and after their turn, in a verifiable manner.Olivier5
    It would probable cost more to verify their declarations than what they are going to steal. These people are clever at hiding the money.

...for first world countries to get the fuck out.Banno
    Probably the best solution, but they should take their cash with them. If they want to help the starving people of the world they should take the food directly to them, not give it to governments.

Put an end to the global corporations.David Mo
    Great idea but not going to happen. I am surprised that terrorist have not worked this angle yet.
  • Sir2u
    Put an end to ignorance and superstition (especially religious).David Mo

I saved this one for last. Find a way and sign me up to help.
  • TheMadFool
    An impractical solution is to create different types of money with restricted domain of use. My money would be valueless to you and your money would have no value for me. That way I can't bribe you and you can't bribe me because neither of us has what either of us would want. Oddly, reminds me of coupons and tickets in fairs - they're completely worthless outside the fair grounds. :chin:
  • Outlander

Bury the human story then. If you don't remember the past it's sure to repeat itself. The solution is thought police. Which is doable if you're the majority. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Ironic how backwards and detrimental doing so would be toward preventing corruption, The utopia you imagine is actually a dystopia of the worst kind. I have a feeling people confuse eliminating corruption with eliminating people talking or knowing about it. Am I wrong?
  • David Mo
    Great idea but not going to happen. I am surprised that terrorist have not worked this angle yet.Sir2u

What are the terrorists doing here? To end the terrorism of the multinationals? Terrorism against terrorism, I don't think it's a good idea.
  • David Mo
    I saved this one for last. Find a way and sign me up to help.Sir2u

There's no one way. If you're interested in that, you've certainly found a way to help.
  • Sir2u
    Am I wrong?Outlander

I think so.
    Ironic how backwards and detrimental doing so would be toward preventing corruption, The utopia you imagine is actually a dystopia of the worst kind. I have a feeling people confuse eliminating corruption with eliminating people talking or knowing about it.Outlander

First of all, I do not imagine utopia. Humans today are completely incapable of creating it.

How could eliminating ignorance of any kind cause problems. Education of all kinds is necessary for the advancement of people. If the people advance intellectually it will eventually lead to the end of corruption.

Eliminating superstition can do no harm at all. Don't you think that it would be wonderful if everyone got the vaccine shots they needed to stop things like measles spreading. Myths like the vaccine causes autism are stopping lots of kids from getting their shots.
    Would it not also be wonderful if certain peoples' belief in myths allowed them to continue mutilating the genital of their young. Oh, sorry. No it would not be so bloody wonderful would it. That would be barbaric.
    And also the myths about certain races being better than others would have to go, but unfortunately that would mean that the idea that certain religions are better than others would also have to be eliminated.
  • Sir2u
    What are the terrorists doing here? To end the terrorism of the multinationals? Terrorism against terrorism, I don't think it's a good idea.David Mo

I just mentioned them as a side thought.
    If I was terrorist and I wanted to bring down a multi-national empire I would not even have to kill people to do it.
    If I put bombs in 20 Pizza Hut places around the world and blow them up when they are empty, only property damage would occur. Then I make an announcement that the next 20 bombs will blow up while the place are full and that they might be any where around the world.

Would you go buy pizza?

Blow up a few more over the next few months and no one wants a Pizza Hut concession any more. Down they go.
  • Sir2u
    There's no one way. If you're interested in that, you've certainly found a way to help.David Mo

I am a teacher, I try to do my part.
  • David Mo
    I am a teacher, I try to do my part.Sir2u

Good!
  • Outlander

Eliminating ie. de-incentivising via education and enlightenment versus fascist suppression of human thought and free will in a person's own mind for goodness sake is a world of difference. You can create a system like that, but you won't be able to control it for very long.
  • _db
    ...for first world countries to get the fuck out.Banno

:ok:
  • Outlander

That's the paradox. One leaves another comes in. Why not just say the way to prevent death is for life to leave. Lol. Everyone has to make it worth their time or at least cover expense. Difference is, some won't bother with wellbeing of others. Unless they know they have to. Open media they say. Do the most powerful countries not have persons who care nothing about others and just want to smash and grab while keeping a clean image? Absolutely. Instead of being unrealistic, it's best to be discerning. Educated. Connected. And open. Options weighed. Like they say, better the devil you know.
  • Sir2u
    You can create a system like that, but you won't be able to control it for very long.Outlander

A system where all are truly equal though education would need no control. Ignorance is what allows people to be controlled.
  • fishfry
    What is an effective way to curb corruption in 3rd world countriesGitonga

And what shall we do about the corruption in a certain first-world country I could name?

for petty corruption (mainly) set up a dedicated phone line to report corrupt officials, cops, etc.Olivier5

What could possibly go wrong? East Germany here we come.
  • Outlander

Who or what stop someone from trying to get ahead or perhaps even steal. Who controls them? This is perfectionist, idealist, utopian... wrongness. Lol.
  • Maw
    Historically speaking how have first world countries gotten rid of corruption?Gitonga

lol
  • Daniel
    I think there is a lack of easily accessible spaces where ordinary people can express and debate their thoughts with each other respectfully and in the absence of prejudice and judgement. Normally, ordinary people has easy access to programs/shows where the opinions of academics, politicians, tv or music stars and other famous people are expressed and/or discussed (i.e., news, tv shows, radio shows, youtube shows, etc.), but I am not sure if a show/program exists where an ordinary person has the opportunity to really express and debate his/her point of view of life as an ordinary person (a program where the host interviews regular people). I think that having access to such a space would help people develop their ideas and their view of the world and also to see their thoughts and own experiences reflected in other people's experiences; I think this would promote communication and empathy, which I think are required for the people to start working towards a common good. While spaces like this forum are amazing, I think they lack the means to reach most ordinary people; in addition, they are too impersonal. Places like this forum, which rely on written debate, lack personal connection between participants which I think is key in any kind of debate. Also, to be completely honest, I have not done enough research to see if places like the one I am trying to describe exist, and if you (whoever reads this) know of any I'd appreciate it if you let me know.
  • David Mo
    Also, to be completely honest, I have not done enough research to see if places like the one I am trying to describe exist, and if you (whoever reads this) know of any I'd appreciate it if you let me know.Daniel

I agree. An important part of the solution is to create free and respectful spaces for discussion among ordinary people. Preferably real contacts, not virtual ones. Virtuality is inhumane.

First problem: what does free and respectful mean?
    Second problem: how can we create these spaces?
    Third problem: were these spaces just verbal encounters or could they be prior to action?

Your question: have this type of meetings ever existed? Have they failed?

This type of encounter exists. Or at least, some that look alike.
    For example:

Meetings of neighbors.
    Community budgets.
    Alternative international forums.

I have attended some of them. In my opinion they all end up failing. Why? If you're interested, we'll continue to discuss this.
  • Sir2u
    Who or what stop someone from trying to get ahead or perhaps even steal. Who controls them?Outlander

So I suppose you are finding it easy to get ahead in the world, soon to be a millionaire I presume.:smirk:
  • Outlander

I've thought about it. Unfortunately (or perhaps even fortunately) you tend to get less interested in the vain and materialistic dreams we're presented with 24/7. It'd be nice to take some cool and decent people somewhere nice every now and then. Few gifts maybe. Folks who deserve it. Though money, power, and influence are a trio seldom seperate, I just think there are more important things then mansions, yachts, and vacations that surpass the average teacher's salary in cost. Of course. These are not temptations that I have the opportunity to resist or indulge in so, who knows lol.

Myself, I'm fine with edible enough food (seasonings and spices can turn something ok into something great), place to stay, beer to drink, a car that's not a clunker, and a few folks to talk to. Anything else is just anything else. We all like nice things though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.