• 3017amen
    shortest and quickest way to understand it is to read Kant. And if you really have no idea, then you really have to read it.tim wood

I'm not following that, have you studied the synthetic a priori knowledge?
  • tim wood
    Metaphysical will causes you to make the choices, no? Please share your thoughts.3017amen

You use the word cause as a kind of black box. But that won't do. You shall have to open the box and start to try to understand the word - and it's not a simple word.

God means different things to different people, including myself. Right now I'm focusing on the metaphysical aspects relative to consciousness viz Jesus.3017amen
    Let's nail this down. 3017amen agrees that God does not exist in any material way or sense, but rather that the existence of g/God(s) is as ideas and is a function of and depends entirely and solely on the minds that think them. Can we be clear on this?

And you keep throwing the word "metaphysical." The more thrown, the more I'm persuaded you don't know what it means. I have a definition - not mine - that metaphysics is the study of the presuppositions and absolute presuppositions made by different people at different times. Is that yours also? If not, what is yours, because I do not know what you mean by it (nor what otherwise it might mean).
  • Kenosha Kid
    There's one factor that ought to be considered, however - which is that from the non-believer's perspective, there can be no real merit beyond the social, cultural and personal domain. There's nothing at stake beyond that. Whereas from the religious perspective there really is something at stake - something of ultimate importance. So there's an asymmetry there.Wayfarer

I'd say that reversing the long-term damage to the planet done by humans, while social in origin, goes beyond "the social, cultural and personal domain", being about not just what is left for us, but after us. And, while a believer may disagree in part due to the quality of their ideas, I think even a fence-sitter would argue that it's of more importance than whether a person wins eternal happiness or has an all-powerful father figure.
  • 3017amen
    use the word cause as a kind of black box. But that won't do. You shall have to open the box and start to try to understand the word - and it's not a simple word.tim wood

What would you call the metaphysical phenomena it causes you to live or die?

Let's nail this down. 3017amen agrees that God does not exist in any material way or sense, but rather that the existence of g/God(s) is as ideas and is a function of and depends entirely and solely on the minds that think them. Can we be clear on this?tim wood

On the contrary Jesus was a man.

And you keep throwing the word "metaphysical." The more thrown, the more I'm persuaded you don't know what it means. I have a definition - not mine - that metaphysics is the study of the presuppositions and absolute presuppositions made by different people at different times. Is that yours also?tim wood

The nature of your existence.

I'm still waiting for your answers in round one. Surely you're not thinking about throwing in the towel already or are you? We've got lots more ground to cover and many more domains to explore. LOL

Oh and by the way, asking help from your corner will not help you much now! Doesn't seem like you've done the requisite training. Lol
  • DingoJones

Arent you essentially reinforcing Wayfarers point there? To a believer, you have your priorities out of order in not putting god or the afterlife before worldly concerns.
  • tim wood
    synthetic a priori knowledge.3017amen
    (Very roughly) The problem was, where is the natural world? If in the mind, a construction of the mind, then how do we know anything about "out there"? If on the other hand the natural world is just what we perceive as we perceive it, then how do we know anything about it, not being able to observe or perceive knowledge, and at best being only able to catalog coincidence?

Kant's answer (maybe @Mww will awaken from his summer afternoon dogmatic slumbers and lend oversight here) was that it is not the case that mind conformed to the world, but rather that the world conformed to mind. That is, that mind comes pre-fitted with certain capacities and tools - its a priori capacities - and the ability to receive impression from outside of itself, perception. Analytic a priori judgments can be seen as a kind of taking apart; e.g., "gold is a yellow meta", or "a bachelor is an unmarried man." And synthetic a posteriori judgments simply puttings together about the world, as "it's raining this morning."

The analytic a priori judgment is always necessarily and universally so and cannot be otherwise - as a matter of the logic of the thing. The synthetic a posteriori judgment is just descriptive.

The synthetic a priori judgment is just a proposition about the world (that would be a posteriori, that is, tested by observation and that could be one way or another) but that is instead verified analytically, without reference to the world, but rather by the a priori capacities of the mind. That is, it is something about the world that is necessarily true.

For more, read Kant or do some online searching.
  • tim wood
    On the contrary Jesus was a man.3017amen
    If you aver Jesus was (a) god. then evidence. And hearsay rules apply; hearsay is not evidence.

What would you call the metaphysical phenomena it causes you to live or die?3017amen
    English, please. This is incoherent.

For the rest, it's appearing that you do not know how, or are not interested, in a real discussion. Recall I said I'm not playing. Start making sense, or quit.
  • 3017amen
    The analytic a priori judgment is always necessarily and universally so and cannot be otherwise - as a matter of the logic of the thing..tim wood

I see. So is this some sort of metaphysical innate sense of wonderment about causation?
  • 3017amen
    you aver Jesus was (a) god. then evidence. And hearsay rules apply; hearsay is not evidence.tim wood

I believe Jesus was recorded in history much like George Washington Albert Einstein et.al.

So far I've landed more punches than you in round one; is that all you got? I'm like Muhammad Ali, I like taunting LOL
  • 3017amen
    For the rest, it's appearing that you do not know how, or are not interested, in a real discussion. Recall I said I'm not playing. Start making sense, or quit.tim wood

Complaining to the referee on process I see lol.

Let me be a little clearer, metaphysical will is that which precludes you from committing suicide. But in this match, it won't preclude you from losing this round.
  • tim wood
    So is this some sort of metaphysical innate sense of wonderment about causation?3017amen

English and coherence, please.
  • 3017amen
    English and coherence, please.tim wood

Does this mean you're throwing in the towel already?

Okay let me try a couple of softer punches. Let's start with the very simple. What causes you to wonder in your consciousness? Do you know?
  • tim wood
    I believe Jesus was recorded in history much like George Washington Albert Einstein3017amen

Most folks do not question the existence of the man. Nor was he recorded in history like those others. There seems no record of him other than the gospels, though as to the existence of the man, not conclusive.

And note. What you believe is not the topic here.

English, coherence, on topic. Those are the requirements.
  • tim wood
    So far I've landed more punches than you in round one; is that all you got? I'm like Muhammad Ali, I like taunting3017amen

So far you're shadow boxing, and losing. And my patience is fast draining.
  • Kenosha Kid
    Arent you essentially reinforcing Wayfarers point there? To a believer, you have your priorities out of order in not putting god or the afterlife before worldly concerns.DingoJones

No, I think even a believer can figure out that their personality fate is not more important than the human species and the Earth beyond it. Whether they do figure it out is a different matter.
  • tim wood
    What causes you to wonder in your consciousness?3017amen
    Incoherent again. Is English your first language? Are you asking what causes me to wonder, or what causes wonder?
  • 3017amen
    Are you asking what causes me to wonder, or what causes wonder?tim wood

Good, we're making progress. Both.

I think I'll rope-a-dope a little bit while you're pondering that important question relative to existence. That way you can think a little more clearly . LOL
  • tim wood
    that important question relative to existence.3017amen

What important question? I've asked you - it's yours to answer.
  • 3017amen

Let me repeat it did I knock you senseless already?

Here it is: Are you asking what causes me to wonder, or what causes wonder?

My answer: both.

Rope a dope, rope a dope, LOL
  • DingoJones

I dont think it is about personal fate, nor about placing it selfishly above the rest of the human race. From the perspective of a believer (not your perspective, as an unbeliever) the long tern effects on the planet, the mortal lives of all humans, or really just any trappings of this life are a minuscule concern next to immortal soul and gods higher purpose.
    You may not agree, but its fallacious to use different premises (there is no god or afterlife, all that stuff is bullshit) to justify the rejection of a conclusion based on different premises (there is a god and afterlife). Obviously if you dont believe you arent going to think any if that is more important than mortal concerns (which are the only concerns a non-believer has).
  • tim wood
    Are you asking what causes me to wonder, or what causes wonder?3017amen

Imponderable. Unanswerable. Concern with environment? Your question is ill-asked in that it is too broad.

Btw, the existence of the man Jesus is granted. Do you say he is just a man? Or something else?
  • 3017amen
    Imponderable. Unanswerable.tim wood

Are you saying that your own existence isn't ponderable or unanswerable?

Surely this couldn't be the case could it? It makes me wonder, no pun intended, if you can't answer basic questions about your own consious existence, in this case your will to live, how could you possibly answer questions or make any statements whatsoever about Jesus' existence?

Jesus, in historical texts who had a conscious,
    did exist , didn't he? And you, you have a conscious and exist too, right?

Well if I haven't knocked you senseless yet, it follows that since you can't answer the basic metaphysical questions about your own will/conscious existence, then how you could you possibly answer questions about someone else's existence like Jesus?

So the knockout punch, if you will, appears to be you can't make any statements about God,/Jesus' existence. Using your logic, how is that possible?

Think about that a little bit more before we proceed, since this is critical to Metaphysics, existence, and your sense of Logic.

Please share your thoughts. But right now, I can't escape the conclusion I'm coming to in round one, which is to say that you can't make any declarations about either yourself or God. LOL
  • Mww
    lend oversighttim wood

Nahhh......you’re doing alright.
  • Kenosha Kid
    ... are a minuscule concern next to immortal soul and gods higher purpose.
    You may not agree, but its fallacious to use different premises (there is no god or afterlife, all that stuff is bullshit) to justify the rejection of a conclusion based on different premises (there is a god and afterlife). Obviously if you dont believe you arent going to think any if that is more important than mortal concerns (which are the only concerns a non-believer has).
    DingoJones

I'm saying that even as a 50/50 agnostic, I hope I'd put the future of the planet ahead of my personal fate. The notion that people who are concerned with oppression of others, equality for others, the environment, etc. have lesser concerns than someone whose chief goal, they are repeatedly told, is to look after their post mortem existence makes the fallacy entirely your own. The two are incomparable, but in quite the other direction.
  • DingoJones

Im not sure that characterisation is accurate or helpful. I get what you are saying, I knew a guy that would go to church on christmas and pray for himself and no one else. Id agree, Very selfish.
    Most believers arent like that though, many a christian will genuinely feel its of utmost importance to prioritise everyones soul, and that everyone is better off putting god first.
  • Kenosha Kid
    Most believers arent like that though, many a christian will genuinely feel its of utmost importance to prioritise everyones soul, and that everyone is better off putting god first.DingoJones

I'm sure they would, it would be the Christian thing to do. And that will help them on judgement day. Okay, that's a mean joke, I take it back.

I'm sure many Christians also pray for an end to global warming, an end to mass extinction, an end to injustice, etc. These would be obvious things to pray for, and go beyond personal salvation.

Is there anything that you know of that Christians pray for that is more important than their personal salvation and is more important than the biggest problems facing secular society? Maybe defeating Satan? Although Revelations tells us Satan will burn forever in fire and brimstone, so that would be pointless. What things do you pray for that are of more importance than the comparatively petty "social, cultural and personal" considerations I've suggested?
  • DingoJones
    I'm sure many Christians also pray for an end to global warming, an end to mass extinction, an end to injustice, etc. These would be obvious things to pray for, and go beyond personal salvation.Kenosha Kid

Well, depends on the brand of believer. Some of them have salvation (still not going to concede its all about “personal” salvation) tied very closely with the end of the world or judgement day. Some see those things you mentioned are viewed as gods plan or signs the day of judgement is coming (a good thing, under those views.)

Is there anything that you know of that Christians pray for that is more important than their personal salvation and is more important than the biggest problems facing secular societyKenosha Kid

Most christians think everyones salvation is more important than their own. Secular society concerns are mortal concerns, and are less important to certain believers for the same reasons ive already mentioned.

What things do you pray for that are of more importance than the comparatively petty "social, cultural and personal" considerations I've suggested?Kenosha Kid

I dont pray for anything, im an atheist and an anti-thiest.
  • Kenosha Kid

So how do you know what most Christians pray for?

I'm not hearing anything that justifies the claim that, even from a believer's point of view, puts believer's concerns somehow ahead of the secular world. Even the salvation of everyone is a secular concern, and I'm confident that secular means will be the means by which it is done, if it is done.
  • DingoJones
    So how do you know what most Christians pray for?Kenosha Kid

By talking to them, by listening to them, by reading about them and the writing they themselves do, by studying religion in an academic setting and by way of personal experience.
    What about you?

I'm not hearing anything that justifies the claim that, even from a believer's point of view, puts believer's concerns somehow ahead of the secular world. Even the salvation of everyone is a secular concern, and I'm confident that secular means will be the means by which it is done, if it is done.Kenosha Kid

Not sure where we are missing each other here...secular concerns are mortal concerns. Do you understand what I mean by that? Some believers view this world as a pale shadow of what awaits them after they/we leave this world, this world only exists as a stepping stone to whats truly important, being with god forever in paradise.
  • tim wood
    You use words like "metaphysics," existence," "wonder," "God," "consicous" and "consciousness" all in peculiar and almost incoherent ways. Stop playing the fool and provide some understanding. Last call.

For example, this - your debate/discussion - is about EOG. Answer, then, this question:
    Btw, the existence of the man Jesus is granted. Do you say he is just a man? Or something else?tim wood
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment