• frank
    Could be. :smile:
  • 180 Proof
    "Afterlife?" Like asking 'where the flame goes when it's blown out?' (Buddha, et al) :point:

We do a trial-run of losing our life with sleep, no?Zophie
    :up:

One cannot lose a life, one can only shorten it.A Seagull
    :up:

I don't know what my lunch will be like, either.
    — Banno

Death is a lot like lunch - if you've never had a lunch.
    ZzzoneiroCosm
    :clap:

I have to accept the no returning.
    I'm still 18, I have time, hopefully.
    I-wonder
    There's no guarantee you'll live to the end of this sentence. Each moment, every "now", goes - "no returning" - gone.

Closer to you, as Sufis say, than your jugular is death.

Your pulse is the countdown clock (c2 billion heartbeats).

And Nietzsche reminds us that to live fully, dangerously, joyously, is to die countless deaths while still alive.

Carpe jugulum!

No doubt much of your "fear of death" (mostly) comes from you not having lived much yet. Death is easy, kid; it's the living that's hard (Keef).

Accepting fear of death will mean to move on in life, and to not think about it.I-wonder
    :death: :flower:
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Carpe jugulum!180 Proof

Nice.
  • Hanover
    I used to have a hat like that...Banno
    Speaking of cool hats, this is my family photo from last Thanksgiving. I'm the one on the right:7y9xlt4mr6zvnol9.jpg
  • unenlightened
    And my "No!" was directed at the supposition that he was afraid of death, and hence went quietly.Banno

Ah, sorry. A colloquialism, Irish I think. "Your man" = 'the aforementioned person' or thereabouts. He who advocated rage; a Welshman, but honorary Irish by drinking achievement.
  • I like sushi
    It just appears that you’re basically using this forum as a means of therapy. It would make sense, if you’re really that disturbed, to seek assistance from a professional in the field.

Note: the religion of a good professional won’t bias them for or against you. It might even take time to find one who is compatible. It’s an option.

If there is some philosophical idea you want to focus on specifically great. I’m not sure what it is exactly. Nietzsche and Camus are two people you might want to look at, but if you see no meaning or point to life then I’m not sure how you can rationally explain your presence here? Either you’re seeking guidance or rebelling (maybe both?).

I’ve never been ‘religious,’ so to speak, but I do understand what it is like to have a dramatic shift in perspective and to have existential questions looming over you. If it’s mostly about the existential problem and you’re only 18 ... you’re just going to have figure it out in your own sweet time and hedge your bets until you’ve experienced more of the world and yourself - no guarantees!

If it’s a more visceral and personal issue surrounding your upbringing, shifts in belief and general psychological well-being, then speaking to a psychologist might something you find useful (you never know). Primarily being honest with yourself should probably be a thing to focus on as all humans are incredibly good at lying to themselves about what is the real underlying problem - I wouldn’t go to hard in that direction though if you’re feeling particularly emotional.

If you don’t see the point in targets, aims or goals, maybe it should be your aim, target or goal to search for a point - I’ve found enough of them myself, but telling you what they doesn’t explicate the value.

Just like teaching someone how to add, subtract, divide and multiply tells them next to nothing about what mathematics is, so telling you what is important to me won’t do anything much for your without the lived experience.

Explore. It’s your human default setting. Don’t inhibit it and don’t let your fear - inner or outer - dictate every single choice you make (note: fear is necessary to stave off insanity - too much or too little are just as bad).

That’s the best I have right now.

GL
  • TheMadFool
    How about looking at it this way:

Sleep is valuable and is an indicator of our wellbeing. We have problems, we lose sleep. Right?

Death maybe regarded as permanent sleep compared to normal sleep which can be regarded as temporary sleep.

So, worrying about death is permanent sleep depriving you of temporary sleep. :chin:
  • neonspectraltoast
    Wonder is too young to understand. Wasted words.
  • A Seagull
    Wonder is too young to understand. Wasted words.neonspectraltoast

Or perhaps you are just too old?
  • neonspectraltoast
    I'm too old to be childishly terrified of death, yes.
  • Shawn
    I have been living of fear my whole life of death; but, then I read this, and became enlightened.
  • Ugesh
    Very well said.
  • Ugesh
    It is only your consciousness (aka soul) that still lives on.
  • Ugesh
    Did you know when you were a kid that you would come to this forum and type out what you have? Irony, the only constant thing in the universe is change. Accept it or not is a choice only you have.
  • Becky
    “Once alive, always alive. The universe can't dispute this.” I’m sorry, but this is total bullshit
  • Becky
    So, what makes you happy?
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal