• Luke1i1
    Hi all

So i've been thinking about the affect technology has on us and whether we are better off with it then without. Obviously we can argue that technology has assisted humanity in many different ways, e.g. communication, transport etc. But i'm referring more to the human perception of technology. Specifically if we become accustomed to new technology and as a result it loses it's value we place on it but we are still stuck with the drawbacks.

For example, someone who lacks central heating. In the winter it may be really cold inside the house but to them they do not know anything different. They then aquire a new type of heating (e.g. central heating) and thought this was far superior as they instantly have access to hot water and heating. They may feel the price they pay for this in bills is worth it however what about over time when they become accustomed to the benefits? Will they still feel the price they pay is worth it or will they feel the same as they did before but this time they are paying out for a heating system? (Basically will they still feel it is worth it?) Obviously i'm taking out of consideration the effects on physical health just focussing on the subjective experience.

Sorry i know the example isn't great but it serves the purpose of demonstrating my question.

Thank you for reading my post

Luke
  • Outlander

Anything useful can lose it's subjective or perceived value ie. appreciation if taken for granted but only a greater utility can adjust it's value by objectively making it less useful in comparison.

Complacency. The only guaranteed thing that can destroy even the strongest and most successful of nations. Complacency. As insidious as it is seemingly harmless. The ability to become so is the reward that often becomes an enemy's saving grace.
  • Becky
    In America today I majority of the population depends on their phone. Take away their phone and they’re lost.
  • Luke1i1
    Thank you for your responses both. Does anyone else have any views on the matter?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.