• creativesoul
    Of course. The case numbers and deaths continue to be on the rise, even with all the social distancing measures and shut downs. Imagine what would happen if all those infected were allowed to mingle freely...
  • Shawn
    I don't believe that is true. Covid cases are decreasing not increasing. And those already infected are already watched over.
  • creativesoul
    I don't know what to tell you then Shawn. The number of cases and deaths increase daily.
  • Shawn

Sorry, did some research, and you're actually correct. My bad. What a crazy world.
  • 0 thru 9
    Interesting thought... reprogramming our minds, washing out the brainwashing, so to speak. In some ways, I think I’ve tried something similar. And still am almost daily. For whatever it is worth, chanting seems to help me connect with what could be called “the original mind” or “sky above the clouds, the sea beneath the waves”. Like for example in this video:

• creativesoul

Shawn, I have one thing to stress and then a suggestion. Changing one's programming requires coming to acceptable terms with what was happened, is happening, and sometimes with what one thinks is going to happen.

A healthy thought life is not all that hard to achieve so long as you take advice from reliable source.

My suggestion is to intentionally and deliberately set each and every presupposition(pre-existing belief you have about anything and everything) aside whenever it is possible and learn to see the world via borrowing another's eyes. We each have a worldly fingerprint impressed upon us as a result of learning how to talk about the world and/or ourselves. We adopt belief about what sorts of things to aspire towards and what sorts of things to despise; what sorts of behaviours are acceptable and what sorts of behaviours are not. We are taught how to treat others. We are taught how to think about others. This teaching does not require explicit language describing the situation as it's happening. Rather, we are shown by witnessing that very behaviour.

There's an author from Toltec lineage/background 'named' Don Miguel Ruiz. The author wrote a book called "The Four Agreements", which brilliantly explains a method for cultivating an everyday healthy thought life. I personally set all of the religious bits to the side, as they aren't needed to benefit from the wisdom in that book. It's been well over a decade, but I retain fond memories.

I strongly suggest it as a read for anyone and everyone who wants to change the way they think and thus feel about the world and/or themselves. It's a great starting point.
  • Shawn
    Shawn, I have one thing to stress and then a suggestion. Changing one's programming requires coming to acceptable terms with what was happened, is happening, and sometimes with what one thinks is going to happen.creativesoul

I have attempted something of this sort through distinguishing between needs and wants. How has that come about for you?
  • Shawn

Something else man.
  • creativesoul

Addressing one's needs and wants assumes some remarkable demonstrable difference between the two. The difference is clear enough sometimes, but not so much at others. I'm not sure there is one all the time.

I'm a minimalist in life and theory(theory and everyday practice).

Good stuff. What does one really need? Positive social interaction. Trustworthy and dependable neighbors and friends. Contentment.

True belief about the world and/or oneself.

That's on page numero uno in my book.
  • creativesoul
    Do that which would make the world a better place if done by everyone who finds themselves in whatever particular situation one finds themselves in.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.