• Shawn
    When we get raised, brought up and shit, shit happens to us. Unavoidably the parent thinks this is normal. The child group up with his or her programming, and then goes through life.

At some point the now adult or even teenager rebels from his or her programming, and says, this was not fair. I didn't ask for it. Or goes on and tried to change the social structure they live in. Such is life.

Yet, I have stagnated in a sense over such sever programming, that I want to entirely deprogram myself. This was unjust, my life says all over. I have been subjected to too much of this programming.

Yet, the 60's wen't batshit, and said, down with all of this, we do not absolutely accept this, and then got whipped and put down like a turd down a toilet. What exactly wen't wrong with the 60's sentiment?

Furthermore, education is modification in incrimental steps. At first, we get programmed, then we reprogram. I didn't like my educational experience, I had troubled with authority. It was just fuckery written all over it. I went to college, and spent a near fortune on drugs, which were the best educational experience I could get.

How does one deprogram or reprogram? What's the secret here?
  • tim wood
    Broadly speaking, philosophy. Done as seriously as one can, not like a twit as with many of us here. Serious questions, serious answers to those questions.
  • Shawn
    Broadly speaking, philosophy. Done as seriously as one can, not like a twit as with many of us here. Serious questions, serious answers to those questions.tim wood

I feel as though this is the best of all possible channels. But, the remote is a little inflexible. I've gotten programmed hard here. How about you?
  • Shawn
    *stalling*
  • tim wood
    Best advice I ever got was from an unlikely source, and a throw-away line at that: "Sometimes you just have to kick yourself out the front door." Doesn't mean you cannot or should not plan, but when the time comes to move, move. And if that's a problem, then the solution.

Doesn't have to be physical or geographical either, although moving far away tends to focus one's thinking.

Details to be worked out by you, because it's all about you. Reading Tennyson's Ulysses can help.

But you're on to something. You're hardware that did not come pre-programmed. Maybe first steps are to identify comforts, and to throw them over.
  • Shawn
    Best advice I ever got was from an unlikely source, and a throw-away line at that: "Sometimes you just have to kick yourself out the front door." Doesn't mean you cannot or should not plan, but when the time comes to move, move. And if that's a problem, then the solution.tim wood

You must be moving at light-speed man.
  • tim wood
    We all are, all the time, through space-time.
  • Shawn
    We all are, all the time, through space-time.tim wood

*bliss*
  • creativesoul
    I want to entirely deprogram myself.Shawn

With this, I can relate Shawn. There is no easy way to go about doing that though. It is a very very taxing ongoing everyday situation, and requires a good bit of understanding not only about what exactly needs 'reprogrammed' and/or changed, but also how to go about effecting/affecting such change. It also requires good judgment because in order to change one's initial mostly adopted worldview, one must seek out other world-views about the same things. Given the sheer propensity for unreliable information, one must somehow be able to separate trustworthy information from untrustworthy information...

Assuming of course that by reprogramming one wishes to avoid having and/or holding false belief. I would hope that that is a part of your own goal(s).

Put as simply as possible...

A reprogramming is a change in one's worldview, in how one thinks about the world and/or themselves. World-views consist of thought and belief. Thus, a change in programming is a change in worldview which is a change in one's own belief-system about the world and/or oneself.
  • Shawn
    A reprogramming is a change in one's worldview, in how one thinks about the world and/or themselves. World-views consist of thought and belief. Thus, a change in programming is a change in worldview which is a change in one's own belief-system about the world and/or oneself.creativesoul

What then, is a deprogramming sequence?

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/535573796854431764/709148978662473809/ecqcp7gZjg1a.gif
  • Shawn
    OK, I think I understand. But, can you actually deprogram and then reprogram, your-self?
  • creativesoul
    What's the relevance of such a name/label when regarding how to go about identifying the beliefs that you adopted while learning language?

That's the first step. Set out as many of the adopted belief within your own worldview that you can.
  • Shawn
    That's the first step. Set out as many of the adopted belief within your own worldview that you can.creativesoul

Too fucking many, creative! Is creativity the answer? Is it really?
  • creativesoul
    can you actually deprogram and then reprogram, your-self?Shawn

Not completely... nor is it needed. Not completely by yourself, it takes others.
  • Shawn
    I just keep on stalling creative. We're raised to accept death, can you believe that?
  • creativesoul
    That's the first step. Set out as many of the adopted belief within your own worldview that you can.
    — creativesoul

Too fucking many, creative!
    Shawn

As I said... it ain't easy. It has to be done though. Not all adopted belief need to be tossed.
  • creativesoul
    We're raised to accept death, can you believe that?Shawn

Yup, I can believe that. What's wrong with accepting death?
  • Shawn
    Yup, I can believe that. What's wrong with accepting death?creativesoul

It's cruel. We shouldn't accept death and become apathetic, should we? It hurts auer Gee-Dee-Pee.
  • creativesoul

Cruelty is accompanied by unnecessary harm and lack of concern for another's suffering. Accepting death is not(or does not necessarily/always include that as well). Nor does accepting the fact that death happens require also being apathetic about it.

Not sure what the mention of GDP has to do with this.
  • Shawn
    Not sure what the mention of GDP has to do with this.creativesoul

Good programming is good GDP.
  • creativesoul
    Ah... I think you're referring to the current collective attempts at restarting the American economy which are attempting to have Americans accept the fact that some people will die?
  • Shawn
    Ah... I think you're referring to the current collective attempts at restarting the American economy which are attempting to have Americans accept the fact that some people will die?creativesoul

Bingo, you're always on point.

I do not understand how pre-schools and schools got shut down. How did this travesty happen?
  • creativesoul
    What does that have to do with your own expressed desire to reprogram yourself?
  • Shawn
    What does that have to do with your own expressed desire to reprogram yourself?creativesoul

Too much error code?
  • creativesoul
    I do not understand how pre-schools and schools got shut down. How did this travesty happen?Shawn

The travesty is not the shutting down. That was - and is still - required for public safety.

The mistake in public programming(the language being used to talk about the pandemic nearly across the board atm) is to call the shut down a travesty, as if it is the problem. It's not. Rather, those measures were taken based upon our knowledge of how to best stop the spread of infectious disease which is, in turn, based upon our own past experience of them.
  • Shawn
    The travesty is not the shutting down. That was - and is still - required for public safety.

The mistake in public programming(the language being used to talk about the pandemic nearly across the board atm) is to call the shut down a travesty, as if it is the problem. It's not. Rather, those measures were taken based upon our knowledge of how to best stop the spread of infectious disease which is, in turn, based upon our own past experience of them.
    creativesoul

I'm still reprogramming, here. Bear with me here. What was the point of shutting down schools? It's not kids travel to Malaysia or China for the matter.
  • Shawn
    Ok, go, @creativesoul, I'm ready for a little more. I have to shut down soon.
  • creativesoul
    What was the point of shutting down schools? It's not kids travel to Malaysia or China for the matter.Shawn

Short answer. To protect the public with the only means available at the time. To stop the spread of covid19.

Longer answer...

The only way to stop an infectious disease pandemic is to stop the spread. That's easiest and entirely manageable only when the case numbers are low enough to do effective contact tracing and mandatory quarantine of those infected. When those steps are taken, the overall damage is tremendously reduced and public safety is highest. In addition, everyday life for most people goes on far less impeded. There would have been no need to shut everything down, as a last resort for public safety, had we been aggressively tracking and tracing all the known cases early on.

Unfortunately, we began taking the steps necessary for reducing the spread, and all the damage that results from a pandemic far too late, and thus were forced to reduce the spread by the only means left available to us.

In order to stop the spread, those who are infected must be isolated from those are not. In order to know who is infected, we have to test people who are symptomatic and people who are not. We do not have the capability to perform the sheer numbers of tests that needs to be performed. So, we currently - still - do not even know how many people have the virus. We also do not have the tests that we need in order to ascertain that much.

Social distancing measures are the next best thing, including the shut down of all non essential activities... including schools.
  • Shawn

OK, so everyone got shut down. Including harmless children and preschoolers at school. What a crazy world.
  • creativesoul
    Children are not the victims. Their safety was being taken into consideration. Many many more children and families would have contracted and died from covid19 had we not shut down.

We still do not have what it takes to reopen without seriously increased numbers in unnecessary deaths.
  • Shawn
    We still do not have what it takes to reopen without seriously increased numbers in unnecessary deaths.creativesoul

Are you serious?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.