• I-wonder
    So once you are alive, even when you die you're alive as a fact?
    But you don't exist anymore as a CONSCIOUS being.
  • I-wonder

I understand, but accepting the death of someone can be easier than you death.
  • neonspectraltoast
    You seem determined to die, so I'm not going to waste my time.
  • Valentinus

I am also afraid.

I have lost a number of dear friends in the last few years and it is weird how they still live inside me.
    Years ago, one of those friends said to me something like this:

"Once you pass the boundary, you won't be able to regret it happening because, uh, you are dead. So don't compare it to all those times when you experience regret. A bad decision at work. A sinful indulgence. A petty demand for a stupid thing. When you get rid of all the false comparisons, then you can slow down and stop rushing toward the the end you despise."
  • I-wonder

I'm sorry for your losses.

you won't be able to regret it happening because, uh, you are dead.Valentinus

I'm afraid that I lose what I have now, not when I'm dead.
    the fear comes from the fact, that I won't ever experience anything after I die, because experiencing things is the only source of value in existence.
    what made you terrified of death?
    if something is unclear, I apologize sometimes I don't express things right.
  • I-wonder
    Basically, I find losing all this beautiful experience, and the potential to experience things in the future, terrifying and heartbreaking.
  • I-wonder
    Thank you for your time
  • Banno

Excellent.

But better,
  • A Seagull
    Um, that's exactly my problem, and my question is how can I face the loss of this amazing gift called life.I-wonder

By living it to the fullest extent of your ability.
  • I-wonder

I think you are all right.
    I'll try, I hope I'll accept it finally, maybe with more of Spinoza and Epicurus.
    BTW, what do you think about Spinoza views on god as nature?
  • Valentinus

My friend was saying that the: "fear comes from the fact, that I won't ever experience anything after I die" is an anticipation of the future. We anticipate all sorts of things in the course of our lives. He wasn't trying to say the fear is misplaced or stupid. But we do make it like other things when it is not. How we deal with the anticipation changes outcomes. It is not an answer but a set of helpful complications.

I encourage you to read Unomuno's The Tragic Sense of Life in Men and Nations. He gives full expression to what you are talking about. I have a different view but it doesn't come from overcoming his arguments.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    which is lost when we dieI-wonder

You don't know what happens when you die.

If you say 'X will happen when I die' you can be sure you're talking out your ass.

X is unknown.

You've constructed a negative emotional response to an unknown. I wonder why you did that.
  • I-wonder
    Thank for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
    But we do make it like other things when it is not. How we deal with the anticipation changes outcomes. It is not an answer but a set of helpful complications.Valentinus

Can I ask something?
    Do you think the anticipation is bad? I mean it is one of the most powerful things humans have.
  • I-wonder

it's like saying don't talk about tomorrow and try to make sense of what could happen because it's unknown.
    We know that our consciousness&existence is within our bodies.
    So when our bodies end, we end.
  • Valentinus

I don't think the anticipation is bad.
    But, as you say, it is wrapped up in how we understand ourselves as humans.
    For myself, the matter of what is practiced and preserved is not directly proportional to what I am able to state is the case or not.
    Your results may vary.
  • Banno

But folk die quietly. They take themselves off to the hospice so as not to be a nuisance, and drift off overnight. They keep the rage inside, for the sake of the family...

Life is the tension between looking on the bright side and going gently into that good night.
  • Banno
    no one could have seen the beauty and elegance of the universe...I-wonder
    ...without death.
  • I-wonder
    What if life wasn't there at all, there would be no death.
  • unenlightened
    They keep the rage inside, for the sake of the family...Banno

It's not your man's fault if people don't take his advice. Quite often when people are afraid of death, they are even more afraid of life.
  • A Seagull
    ↪A Seagull
    I think you are all right.
    I'll try, I hope I'll accept it finally, maybe with more of Spinoza and Epicurus.
    BTW, what do you think about Spinoza views on god as nature?
    I-wonder

If you want to have a god, then nature is good.

But then learn about nature.
  • I-wonder

One of the things I find happiness in is learning about the universe.
  • Banno
    What if life wasn't there at all, there would be no death.I-wonder

True; but there would be no life.
  • Banno
    they are even more afraid of life.unenlightened

No!

Some recognised that life will continue after they are gone, and those left behind will have to deal with it.
  • unenlightened
    They recognisedBanno

Who? People who die quietly? People who keep the rage inside? People who are afraid of death?

Do be careful that the they in my quotation is the same as the they in yours if you are going to use one to deny the other.
  • Banno
    See edit. Better?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    So when our bodies end, we end.I-wonder

This is an argument. And it's fine. It's an argument.

But no one knows what happens when we die.
  • I-wonder

sure, except those who died.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    sure, except those who died.I-wonder

The dead are prohibited from posting on this forum.
  • Banno
    But no one knows what happens when we die.ZzzoneiroCosm

A funeral, sometimes. A cremation, perhaps. In any case, you will no longer post here.

So yes, we do know what happens after you die.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.