• ssu
    Hopefully this moron of a president will finally get into his small head that he is doing damage to his image by these daily appearances where everybody can see how totally clueless and stupid he is. A blabbering fool.

Agustino wasn't blind to Trump's faults but accepted them as a necessary evil to shake up the systemBenkei
    How long people will believe that utterly stupid line? Trump hasn't shaken up the system. Not a bit. On the contrary, corruption flourishes extremely well under an inept and defunct administration. All he has been able to do is that tax cut for the rich.
  • Christoffer
    How long people will believe that utterly stupid line? Trump hasn't shaken up the system. Not a bit. On the contrary, corruption flourishes extremely well under an inept and defunct administration. All he has been able to do is that tax cut for the rich.ssu

If people want to change the system they need to have someone to change the system. Bernie Sanders stance on social democracy would definitely have shaken up the system if applied, but the idea that Trump would shake up the system is only based on their idea that because Trump is so incompetence it would destroy the fundamentals of government, and then everyone rebuilds a new government upon it. It's the Animal Farm idea of revolution and it's a delusional strategy that has no grounds in reality.

People who thought like this were only interested in the chaos, to "get back at those politicians". I cannot see their reasoning behind it as anything other than idiocy and uneducated emotional outburst to blame someone for their own shitty lives. It's the same idea behind racism and blaming immigrants, how strange that there are so many of these racist haters of immigrants who also voted for Trump. What a coincidence.
  • praxis
    You lied by accusing me of lying, whether by malice or stupidity, but then you keep perpetuating it.NOS4A2

Nothing is stopping you from explaining, for instance, how in three months you went from being financially independent to being near broke. It could be as simple as typing out a few letters, like “Vegas”.
  • NOS4A2

The thought policing, used as it is in combination with sensationalism, is more dangerous than Trump’s questions about injecting disinfectant. It creates a culture of silence and public relations. Where we once had unbridled access to our leader’s thoughts, their overreaction at such an innocuous question has convinced him it is just not worth it, so instead we are given the prepared and sanitized speeches of unelected bureaucrats.

The sensationalism dangerously replaces any reporting on vital information.
  • NOS4A2

I am financially independent. Where do I say I was almost broke?

DlEC6FIWsAAMb0Q?format=jpg&name=medium
  • praxis

My own business has dried up so much that I’m living on my savings. I’m not sure how long that can last.NOS4A2
  • NOS4A2

Nothing in there about being near broke, I’m afraid. So I suppose that was a lie. Which of my statements were false, and used with the intent to deceive?
  • praxis

Let me put it this way, those who are taught in the right circles have a pretty good idea of how long money lasts, whereas you appear to be clueless, yet you claimed to have been taught in the right circle.
  • NOS4A2

Let me put it this way, those who are taught in the right circles have a pretty good idea of how long money lasts, whereas you appear to be clueless, yet you claimed to have been taught in the right circle.

So what did I lie about? You called me a liar and claim I was caught in a lie. What did I lie about?
  • praxis

You lied about being in the right circle, obviously.
  • NOS4A2

You lied about being in the right circle, obviously.

I said “Money is already earned, friend. Unfortunately that’s something they won’t teach you in certain circles.” So another lie. Sorry bub, but the only one caught in a web of lies is yourself.
  • praxis

In all honesty, if you don’t know the right amount to claim “money earned” or how long money lasts then you couldn’t have been taught in the right circle.
  • DingoJones
    Yes, it's not interesting to hear you think people are deranged. But hey, it isn't so bad, because you mean it in a non-medical way. Meanwhile, it's not clear at all what the substantive difference is between medical derangement and non-medical derangement. I suspect the only difference is that one is established by a medical professional but in the end the judgment is the same, but we can question yours more easily when you do it. Doesn't make the judgment a light hearted thing.Benkei

I dont think it is a lighthearted thing, its rather serious. Its part of whats causing this political divide where people are going crazy (on both sides, and no I dont mean actually, medically “crazy”.). Its part of what got Trump elected and before this Covid 19 stuff, why he was going to be re-elected.
    Anyway, I have already explained what I meant by TDS, and Ive acknowledged that some people here have a very different idea about what the teem means. Im just trying to communicate, sometimes that means being open to different senses or uses of words. Its generally not helpful to...I dont know, get your hackles up.
    Also, Its not like I mentioned anyone by name and I specifically said it was SOME of his critics...so ask yourself why you are operating under the assumption I was talking about you when referencing TDS.
  • ssu
    the idea that Trump would shake up the system is only based on their idea that because Trump is so incompetence it would destroy the fundamentals of government, and then everyone rebuilds a new government upon it.Christoffer
    I disagree.

People had watched Trump, the reality TV star, and thought he was a competent businessman. He was a billionaire, so someone that Americans look up to. Never mind the actual reality, which is "fake news" to those who believe in Trump. Besides, an incompetent and inept president cannot destroy the fundamentals of government. The agenda of Stephen Bannon never was really picked up and wasn't executed as in reality for a President to have any impact on the government he has to have at least some leadership qualities. Trump doesn't have any. But he's a great showman.

The Trump of his supporters:

I cannot see their reasoning behind it as anything other than idiocy and uneducated emotional outburst to blame someone for their own shitty lives.Christoffer
    If you think so, what is then your answer? Not having a democratic elections or what?
  • Shawn

I have no idea what's going on; but, I'm comfortably numb nowadays.
  • Benkei
    so ask yourself why you are operating under the assumption I was talking about you when referencing TDS.DingoJones

What part of what I wrote makes you think that as a Dutchman I feel you were talking about me? :chin:
  • DingoJones

Oh I understand now. You were defending others, not yourself. My mistake.
  • 180 Proof
    Covid deaths yesterday 4/25/20:

United States - 2,425
    South Korea - 0

:mask: addendum
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Fox News:

States see spike in poison control calls following Trump's comments on injecting disinfectant

In Maryland, the Emergency Management Agency received over 100 calls inquiring about the president’s suggestion, forcing the service to issue an alert to remind citizens that “under no circumstances should any disinfectant product be administered into the body through injection, ingestion or any other route.”

In New York City, the Daily News reported that the Poison Control Center saw 30 cases of “exposure to Lysol, bleach & other cleaners in 18 hours after Trump’s suggestion” that cleaning products might be used to treat coronavirus. NYC Poison Control saw only 13 such cases in a similar period last year.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/states-spike-poison-control-calls
  • deletedusercb
    Vaccines contain disinfectants...thimersol, formaldehyde, for example.
  • Benkei
    I wasn't defending anyone, I was pointing out what I consider an annoying mistake: using a term differently from how it's used and then trying to justify it with personal anecdotes.
  • Benkei
    Can someone explain to me how it's possible an industrial producer of bleach is registered as a fucking Church in the USA?
  • Streetlight
    Religion is mind bleach, always has been. The real question is how all Churches are not registered as industrial producers of bleach.
  • Monitor
    not registered as industrial producers of bleach.StreetlightX

:rofl:
  • Christoffer
    If you think so, what is then your answer? Not having a democratic elections or what?ssu

Not sure how you conclude what I wrote into that. But in terms of elections, first, a two-party election that forces Republicans to vote for a person like Trump enforce a mentality where they need to post-justify their choice and defend someone they clearly don't want to have as a president. It creates a cognitive dissonance that further push chaos.

Then I have the idea that people can only vote if they can answer basic questions about the politicians and parties involved in an election. A form, free to be filled out with any source of information, online, in libraries etc. but need to be correct in order to vote. This way, people who doesn't really care about their vote or politics, those who just vote because of bullshit reasons would probably not feel the energy does go through that process before a vote and it would concentrate votes to those with basic understanding of the parties and people that get the votes. A basic understanding is a fundamental thing in a democracy that aims to lower the risk of demagogue politics.

We also need a standardized marking system for online information. Official, scientific, trustworthy media, trustworthy individuals and red marks for those who actively spread disinformation/misinformation. Such markings can start off as being handled by Google as Google handles most of the searches in the world.

If I'm gonna describe details about the practical implementation of the above I need to write lots of pages, but as a general point to where I stand in how to improve democracy and current information age and tackle the post-truth epidemic.
  • unenlightened

United States - 2,425
    South Korea - 0
    180 Proof

In the machismo world of great leaders leading their troops to battle the US wins.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
  • 180 Proof
    :mask:

United States - 2,425
    South Korea - 0
    — 180 Proof

In the machismo world of great leaders leading their troops to battle the US wins.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
    unenlightened
    ... and this season on

Survivor: The Apprentice Edition! :clap:

:down: :up:

"Avē Imperātor, moritūrī tē salūtant!"
  • Syamsu
    Underlying the political division is the division between materialists and creationists. The USA was conceived of as a creationist nation. The spirit is cherished and decides, as well individual spirit, as shared national spirit. Materialists don't believe in the spirit, so they want a formula to determine policy, and people's lives.

Creationism is basically banned in academics, which produces an endless stream of materialists coming from education. So a large share of the population is materialist, especially higher educated, but they are living in a profoundly creationist nation.

Eventually materialists will win, as their position in academics is currently unassailable. But it will take a long time to get rid of the inherently creationist constitution. Only if understanding of freedom becomes to be essential in producing technology, and so becomes essential in education, will creationism start to win again.

But it is not likely that understanding of freedom will become essential, because there is no point in producing a car or washing machine with free will. So freedom continues to be regarded in education as a cultural fantasy, and the spirit that chooses, is ignored.

Materialism seems to provide 2 flavors for politics, communism and nazism. And mostly in academics they are proud to have chosen communism over nazism. But they still have the option of nazism in their mind, because it naturally comes from the logic of materialism.

Social democracy is a kind of middle ground of materalists parasiting on creationists. The creationists provide the emotions, the materialists then live of the emotions provided by the creationists. Basically like a parent child relationship, but then the child is in charge. The child making ever increasing demands on the parents. That is how it works in europe. Very non descript leaders, non descript political parties, trying to accommodate the ever increasing demands of materialist children part of the population. Creationists will then work less, because there is simply no happiness to be attained from achieving materialist goals.

So the trend is toward non descript politicians, who are ingenious in meeting the ever increasing irrational demands of the materialist populace. Meanwhile the motivation to work is lowered, requiring immigrants to take up the slack, and producing goods in 3rd world countries.

Trump is probably the last creationist president. He probably won't even get reelected.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Maryland governor said 'hundreds' called in to ask whether ingesting Clorox or alcohol-based cleaning products would help them fight the coronavirus after Donald Trump's remarks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8258725/Maryland-governor-said-hundreds-called-ask-ingesting-Clorox.html
  • tim wood
    Underlying the political division is the division between materialists and creationists.Syamsu
    What is your understanding of the terms "creationist" and "materialist"?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.