• Baden

Where did I wish death on him??
  • Baden
    Nice speech though. You're hired for the next time I deliberately trip over a loose paving stone.
  • Punshhh
    Meanwhile Johnson returns to cabinet following his isolation.
    IMG-9073.jpg
  • ssu
    The state of New York overtook Germany in the number of infections (and deaths) as it had done earlier the United Kingdom. Compared by population, the UK is three times larger and Germany four times larger than New York State. Only China, Spain and Italy have more infections, if we look at the official numbers.
  • Benkei
    NY is also very densely populated with a lot of commuting. I wouldn't be surprised if the R0 would be higher there simply due to circumstance.
  • NOS4A2

New York has also done more testing than the UK, France, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing
  • ssu
    True. Wonder how ugly it will be when the pandemic hits in earnest Mexico City. Just got back from there before the World went upside down from the pandemic and my wife has family and friends there.

And we got our first Euro-Dictator with Hungary's Victor Orbán. Now he got powers include sidelining parliament and giving himself the power to rule by decree indefinitely.

"The irony is that the government is giving itself extreme powers,"
    he (Gabor Gyori, a political analyst) says, but "it is not taking any extreme measures" when it comes to combating the coronavirus.

With Trump talking about possibly millions of deaths and hoping that we could get it to hundred thousand, I think Donald is finally understanding the scope of the issue. This is the good time for a power grab by emergency powers.
  • ssu
    New York has also done more testing than the UK, France, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark.NOS4A2
    True. Yet the death toll then? For example, the Nordic countries far have more people (27 million) than New York State (19 million) and the death toll now:

Norway: 32
    Sweden: 146
    Denmark: 77
    Finland: 13
    Iceland: 2
    New York State: 1218

Anyway, here comes to play the status of NYC being a global hub and the simple fact that without a lock down there is extreme difficulty for social distancing in Manhattan.
  • praxis
    Surfer fined $1,000 for ignoring coronavirus closure in Manhattan Beach

And that was for crappy waves. If there's a swell in the next few weeks at the peak of the virus and with more stringent isolation measures there's gonna be a lot more of this.
  • Changeling
    when I clicked that link it blocked me and said I'd reached my free article limit - which is apparently 0.
  • praxis
    I hope that doesn't mean that I'm paying for it somehow. It's the LA Times.
  • Baden

You can reg for free. I know I ain't payin' and I saw it.
  • Deleteduserrc
    "Such is perhaps the most difficult challenge in a lockdown situation: to clear a space where to be on one’s own while already separated from the community. Being cooped up on a boat with a few others of course generates a feeling of estrangement, but estrangement is not solitude, and solitude is, in reality, what makes confinement bearable. And this is true even if one is already on one’s own. I noticed that what made my isolation extremely distressing was in fact my incapacity to withdraw into myself. To find this insular point where I could be my self (in two words). I am not talking here of authenticity, simply of this radical nakedness of the soul that allows to build a dwelling in one’s house, to make the house habitable by locating the psychic space where it is possible to do something, that is, in my case, write.

I noticed that writing only became possible when I reached such a confinement within confinement, a place in the place where nobody could enter and that at the same time was the condition for my exchanges with others. When I was able to get immersed in writing, conversations through Skype, for example, became something else. They were dialogues, not veiled monologues. Writing became possible when solitude started to protect me from isolation. One has to undress from all the coverings, clothes, curtains, masks, and meaningless chattering that still stick to one’s being when one is severed from others."
    StreetlightX

Yeah, I think I know what she's talking about. It sounds trivial, but it really is frustrating to just want to be home, like just be at home, and then have to either make small talk, or awkwardly remain silent every single time you have to go to the bathroom or make a sandwich. It makes my living room/kitchen feel like the break room at the office when there's just one other person there, you know that weird feeling?
  • Punshhh
    "One has to undress from all the coverings, clothes, curtains, masks, and meaningless chattering that still stick to one’s being when one is severed from others."
    Sounds like a meditative state.
  • Punshhh
    trivial, but it really is frustrating to just want to be home, like just be at home, and then have to either make small talk, or awkwardly remain silent every single time you have to go to the bathroom or make a sandwich
    I know that feeling, maybe the solution is to reach some degree of friendship with her. Through laughter, or mutual appreciation of something. I know that this might not be possible if there is some kind of personality dissonance.
  • Punshhh
    People in the UK are talking about a loss of smell and taste as a symptom. Some people have tested positive with only this symptom. It makes sense, as this can be a symptom of the common cold.
  • Pfhorrest
    Now that the financial worries are straightened out (knock on wood), my life is back to pretty much normal despite all the coronavirus response measures, because I live alone and work from home and never go out except to go shopping or hiking anyway, and those things are both still allowed here. Pretty much the only change in my lifestyle is I can't dine out, but I can even pick up take-out.

It's kinda nice being a shut-in in a tiny mountain town in the middle of nowhere.

(Yes, I know things will eventually get worse here too, but for now, when I'm out in a meadow looking at baby owls and wild bunnies and ducklings in a pond on a beautiful spring day covered with mustard flowers, lupines, and California poppies, it makes me feel quite lucky to be here, in contrast to all the unfortunate people locked in their apartments in NYC).
  • Punshhh

I have a similar experience, I live in a quiet place in the countryside. I work mainly from home and have plenty to do as it is a small holding. There are no reports of anyone in my local town having the virus, so life is normal, apart from most shops are shut and there are social distancing measures at the supermarket.The shelves are nearly empty though, so we have to be a bit creative at meal times. I will be growing most of my own vegetables over the next few months.

Our social calendar has been cancelled, but it's hardly noticeable, as there is still communication. My wife works for the government, so she will have full pay for the duration. I can still work, but don't need to.

My only hardship is not being able to buy flour, so will try grinding some of my chicken's grain in a coffee grinder. Also we cannot go travelling in our camper van for now.
  • Benkei
    I heard the same and that it actually lingers after recovery. I'd sell your whiskey collection before it's too late.
  • Punshhh
    I heard the same and that it actually lingers after recovery. I'd sell your whiskey collection before it's too late.
    Yes, but my local auction house is closed now. I do have a similar thought about antiques, they might become devalued for a generation, or permanently.

I brew my own wine and have planted about 30 vines recently, so will be self sufficient soon.
  • Benkei
    A self sufficient alcoholic? Nice.

My wife and I might move up to SM strangulation with the possibility of not stopping on time. With a bit of luck they'll call it corona due to the asphyxiation. And it's only week 3. :cry:

EDIT: For the benefit of those who always think I'm serious about corona-Olympics and the like: I'm just kidding. I love my wife.

I also like most Americans in an adorable dog kind of way, too stupid for its own good but you want to hug them anyway.
  • Punshhh
    Hang on in there.
    (not literally).

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm actually going the other way. So I might brew all that wine and then not drink much of it.
  • Pfhorrest
    I'm not an alcoholic...Punshhh

"...I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings."

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. Try the veal.
  • Nobeernolife
    The state of New York overtook Germany in the number of infections (and deaths) as it had done earlier the United Kingdom. Compared by population, the UK is three times larger and Germany four times larger than New York State. Only China, Spain and Italy have more infections, if we look at the official numbers.ssu

Clearly this relates to the way you count, and the number of tests, so the statistics can not be easily compared. As you know, Germany is testing like crazy, so of course, they are finding more infections, with the result that the fatality rate becomes low, as most cases are mild. Also, Germany does not automatically record a "Corona death" if is a case of co-morbidity like Italy does.

About the China numbers, you might was well watch a Hollywood movie as believe the CCP. They are fiction. Take the numbers of HK and Taiwan, they are reliable.
  • Punshhh
    I'm very interested in what the hiking is like where you are. Here we are only allowed to walk in the vicinity of our house. I am surrounded by agricultural farmland. There is a nice nature reserve about 2 miles away. But I have plantar fasciitis at the moment so can't walk more than a couple of miles. It's such a shame, We would be going for long walks otherwise.
  • Benkei
    My travel plans for this summer:

Hallsinki and Islamabathroom
  • Punshhh
    563 deaths in UK in the last 24hrs, it's been exponential for the last two days. Also 4,300 new cases (recorded) over last 24hrs. Fortunately no sign of the ventilator beds being overwhelmed yet, it could happen in the next few days if this degree of increase continues. There is a 4,000 bed temporary hospital (the Excel centre) coming online in the next couple of days. I think they only have 500 ventilators though, due to the shortages.
  • Baden

Yes, the UK is surging and will be a basket case within a week sadly.
  • Punshhh
    Lions lead by donkeys.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.