• Baden

Hope Britons never forget that Boris and Cummings' initial strategy of culling the herd is the reason for the totally avoidable chaos to come.
  • Nobeernolife
    Hope Britons never forget that Boris and Cummings' initial strategy of culling the herdBaden

"Culling the herd"?? Can you point to a reference where or Cummings (whoever that is) said that??
  • praxis

They closed all parks and some beaches yesterday but trails are still open in the county. They’re monitored though, whatever that means.

I guess Pfhorrest is sleeping in. Around where he lives is a great area for plein-air painting, incidentally.
  • I like sushi
    Chaos? It’s insignificant compared to what is happening, and is going to happen, elsewhere in the world.

A few hundred thousand, perhaps a couple of million, dying in the developed world is barely worth mentioning when we dare turn our eyes to the ensuing horror of the situation in India.

A rough estimate of 50% of the population infected and a 2% mortality rate would mean 10-15 million dead. Considering they don’t have the facilities or infrastructure to control anything much pretty much everyone is likely to be infected and mortality rate at least double that. But that is not all, when it comes to income and starvation we’re essentially witnessing what could be the most horrific loss of life unless the developed world does step in now (would still likely be horrific, but maybe they could reduce the toll).

Without any serious aid or help it’s likely we could see 30+ million dying in India due to a combination of starvation and a lack of means to stop the disease ripping through the country like wildfire.

Look at this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYxy3Py6V0
  • Punshhh
    Yes, I'm envious, perhaps as much of the climate, as the landscape. There is nice landscape here, but it's often not warm, or dry. I feel as though we have been living in a mud bath for the last six months.
  • Punshhh
    Yes, I am aware of what is going to happen, not just in India, there are many large cities around the world totally unprepared and under resourced. The wave of panic which will come before the infection could be equally as destructive.
  • praxis
    When asked about Cotton's early warnings [about coronavirus], McConnell said: "It came up while we were tied down on the impeachment trial. And I think it diverted the attention of the government, because everything every day was all about impeachment."

Can they walk and chew gum at the same time? Seems to indicate incompetence.
  • frank
    Can they walk and chew gum at the same time? Seems to indicate incompetence.praxis

He's just lobbing back the gratuitous attacks on the president and the GOP in general.
  • frank
    Hope Britons never forget that Boris and Cummings' initial strategy of culling the herd is the reason for the totally avoidable chaos to come.Baden

Instead of looking at raw numbers to gauge what's happening, go to worldometer and go to the right side of the graph. Look at serious cases and deaths per mil.

The deaths per mil for Italy, for instance, tells you how unprepared Italy was for the onslaught. Germany's figure tells you that they fucking kick ass at taking care of critically ill people (no surprise there).

The UK's numbers suggest to me that they're further along into it than the US, but doing a pretty good job (no surprise there either).

I have no idea what China's numbers tell us. That their society is completely shut down? That they aren't giving out their data right now?
  • praxis
    He's just lobbing back the gratuitous attacks on the president and the GOP in general.frank

I’m certain there’s a better way of doing that than pointing out the administrations inabilities.
  • ssu
    The Swedish Prime minister said Swedes shouldn't panic. Some Swedish doctors are getting a bit nervous:

A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors last week – including the chairman of the Nobel Foundation, Prof Carl-Henrik Heldin – called on the government to introduce more stringent containment measures. “We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we have let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus immunology researcher at the Karolinska Institute. “They are leading us to catastrophe.”

Strong words, but stoicism is a way of life here, as is unflappability. A 300-year history of efficient and transparent public administration, and high levels of trust in experts and governing officials, have left the public inclined to believe what they are told, and that those doing the telling have their best interests at heart.

“I trust that the doctors working with the government know what they are doing, so I suppose we’re as well prepared as we can be,” Robert Andersson, 50, a vendor manager in IT who lives in Södermalm, Stockholm, said. “This ‘hysteria’ that the media is launching is far more dangerous than the virus itself.”

Let's see how Sweden goes. Interesting to see.

(Our neighbors taking it easy. Remember when cafes and restaraunts were open?)
    NINTCHDBPICT000573426680.jpg?strip=all&w=960
  • praxis

The government has enormous resources at its disposal. You suggest that it’s an unreasonable expectation that it could effectively deal with both issues?
  • frank
    The government has enormous resources at its disposal. You suggest that it’s an unreasonable expectation that it could effectively deal with both issues?praxis

I dont think McConnell was directing the statement to people like you, who would dissect it logically.
  • frank
    It's going to squash them flat.
  • I like sushi
    There is certainly a degree of hysteria. Such is the internet!

It’s a serious condition though, and not to be take lightly. I think lockdown policies for some countries could be far more damaging than letting the virus do its thing - see above.

What bothers me is how developing countries are attempting to react like other developed nations when they quite clearly don’t have the economic clout to do so and run the horrible risk of taking on two terrible paths at once instead of one.
  • ssu
    There is certainly a degree of hysteria. Such is the internet!I like sushi
    Hmm.. I think that when your President is speaking about the option of 100 000 dying being the option where they have done a 'good job', that might spread a bit hysteria.
  • praxis

Right, it’s divisive in nature, essentially promoting what it ostensibly condemns.
  • tim wood
    He's just lobbing back the gratuitous attacks on the president and the GOP in general.frank

Can you name any gratuitous attacks on Trump or his or the GOP? Any? Any at all? Seems to me they're all meretricious, warranted, and substantial - and he's yet to substantively address a single one! And, then, what does that say about his defenders?
  • Benkei
    It's also incredibly cynical that 100,000 deaths is a good job. The reply is "No, you fucking cunt. You are way too late to do a good job, which results in 100,000 deaths instead of the 20,000 it should've been when you would've acted on time instead of downplaying the risks."
  • frank
    Can you name any gratuitous attacks on Trump or his or the GOP? Any? Any at all? Seems to me they're all meretricious, warranted, and substantial - and he's yet to substantively address a single one! And, then, what does that say about his defenders?tim wood

I think you'd have to be really neutral to see how Bloomberg's and Cuomo's attacks were aimed at political gain. You should expect that, though. You want your politician to exploit all opportunities. That's why they all end up being fairly hypocritical.

If you reject this concept, just wait for an actual trump supporter to appear so you can vent your self-righteousness with full effect. :wink:
  • Baden

The worldometer is where I get all my data, and that's what I'm basing this on, including all columns, the log curve, and the situation on the ground in the UK (my brother lives in London, which is soon to become New York in terms of cases). Germany, China, and South Korea are maybe the most interesting countries to talk about though. More on that later.
  • I like sushi
    Some basics stats and estimates recently.

It’s about x10 as contagious with an incubation period that is around x5-10 as long AND there is no immunity.

When they say 1-3% they tend to expect 2%, and when they say 20-50% they tend to mean 35%. You can go and do the math for 2% mortality rate with 35% infected.
  • unenlightened
    The worldometer is where I get all my dataBaden

Have an insincere apology with your data. Mix it with the news that care homes can only test 5 people (Most carers move between homes) and only when someone has symptoms, and old folks are being encouraged to sign non-resussitation forms and not to expect to be taken to hospital, andI wonder if you are drawn to the conclusion I have reached, that government policy is to spread the virus amongst the old and not treat them.

https://www.irishnews.com/coronavirus/2020/03/29/news/michael-gove-apologises-to-company-that-offered-to-procure-25-000-ventilators-for-the-nhs-but-got-no-reply-1882862/?fbclid=IwAR3JJVffnGiv-cm8TBqbt6-F4iYr_O3gq-nJsSUMrcmoT7IsKSxC8Ff9v84
  • I like sushi
    It seems to me the very same people who bemoan the effects of western nations on poorer nation turn out to be the very same folks who, when it cones down to it, care only for their own national interests.
  • Pfhorrest
    I'm very interested in what the hiking is like where you arePunshhh

I live in a small town in the mountains, so "near home" is close to many hiking trails for basically anyone. Here's a view of pretty much the whole town from one of the closest trails:

IMG_1522.jpg
  • Baden

I employed a phrasal synonym aptly descriptive of my targets' scientific quasi-euphemism, not a direct quote from either; hence no quotation marks. Next time, please engage cognitive gears before digital flexors.

My locale (fairly similar spot to yours I reckon):

6e2r7pi92tg2mjyt.jpg

It'd be remiss not to consider that conclusion given what's going on.
  • Baden

+ You might be interested in this, frank. I think we discussed South Korea before.

• ssu
    Trump knows that telling a lie or something crazy (like 100 000 dead is a good job) works. He's gets constantly into the focus of the media. It's the reason why he cleared all those othe candidates in the first place. I'm sure that actual Trump supporters don't follow Trump's remarks and tweets as observantly as you actually do. They observe more just that the mainstream media is again and again outraged at Trump and when it's the lying pinko-liberal media being outraged, that's just good.

And let's face it, this old man really has a lack of empathy and doesn't have the capability to focus on multidimensional issues. For a lot of people it's hard to understand what is the difference 10 000 people, 100 000 people or a million people. You can picture ten people, perhaps a classroom, but thousands is more difficult. Trump may understand the difference in dollars, but dollars aren't people with families and loved ones.

Anyway, let's hope the US gets it act together and we don't go from the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands or a million, because at the worst possible case it could do that. The positive side is that after this ordeal the US could get a genuine true health care reform. If only Americans start looking at defense against viruses in order to save American lives as they look at the defense against terrorist attacks.

Here's a good recap of why the present system has made United States so weak and vulnerable unlike other OECD countries.
  • Nobeernolife
    It's also incredibly cynical that 100,000 deaths is a good job. The reply is "No, you fucking cunt. You are way too late to do a good job, which results in 100,000 deaths instead of the 20,000 it should've been when you would've acted on time instead of downplaying the risks."Benkei

The normal flu causes about 50,000 deaths each year. Where do you arrive at the number of 20,000 that it "should be"?
    And why do you call Trump a cunt for having actually more foresight that his political rivals, who downplayed the Corona threat well into February?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.