• Streetlight
    Did... did I need to add a /s there? Because there was a /s there.
  • ssu
    I'm giving it three days.Andrew M
    82 000 has already passed in reality.
  • praxis

I imagine that progressive green new deals may start looking more reasonable to conservatives in the near future.
  • ssu
    Children are largely unlikely to be affected by the disease itself but we are going to hand them an economy that we’ve ruined. No amount of technocratic number-crunching and chart-viewing can avoid that.NOS4A2
    Nah.

The Global recession is already here, just like the pandemic. And your economy isn't ruined. It would be ruined if Russia fired all it's nukes at the US, but in reality those soviet nuclear warheads have only given you electricity to your cities. Besides, after a downturn, then there's a great opportunity for economic growth!

Trump doesn't understand it, but NOW the crash and dire economic situation is not going to be blamed on him. He won't have Joe Biden saying like Clinton to Bush "It's the economy, stupid!" Any idiot will understand that this recession has happened because we still put human life before money.
  • Streetlight
    Heh, you're maybe more optimistic than me.
  • praxis
    Everyone can see Trump’s failure in reviving coal and the industrial sector in general, at least in terms of jobs, so investing in green tech, as well as other progressive initiatives, could be seen as a reasonable alternative if properly presented.

One can dream.
  • NOS4A2

It's a dangerous lie that it is only corporations panicking about "bottom lines". Many of us are without work, and if this continues much longer, will be unable to pay bills and rent.

The theory of "social distancing" and forced lockdowns on a mass scale is now being forced upon us by governments. According to the WHO, even with small-scale social distancing, "the benefit has to be weighed against the cost of disruption".

Social distancing may help. It includes isolation of patients, staying at home when sick, and school closure. School closures have the greatest benefit when applied early in the course of the outbreak. The benefit has to be weighed against the cost of disruption;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/managing-epidemics-interactive.pdf

There is insufficient evidence to support screening at entry ports and social distancing (spatial separation of at least one metre between those infected and those non‐infected) as a method to reduce spread during epidemics.”

There was limited evidence that social distancing was effective, especially if related to the risk of exposure.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub4/full
  • Nobeernolife
    Everyone can see Trump’s failure in reviving coal and the industrial sector in general, at least in terms of jobs, so investing in green tech, as well as other progressive initiatives, could be seen as a reasonable alternative if properly presented.
    One can dream.
    praxis

Is it so hard to keep the orangemanbad rants on the Trump thread and out of the Corona thread?
  • Nobeernolife
    Trump doesn't understand it, but NOW the crash and dire economic situation is not going to be blamed on him. He won't have Joe Biden saying like Clinton to Bush "It's the economy, stupid!" Any idiot will understand that this recession has happened because we still put human life before money.ssu

Err... and why exactly? Corona was created in China and not by Trump. And this is the Corona thread not the Trump thread.
  • Baden

This is embarrassingly wrong. The main document you are quoting is specifically about influenza not coronavirus.

Here's some official advice about coronavirus, you know, the pandemic that we are actually fighting.

"Necessary measures to mitigate the impact of the pandemic
    Given the current epidemiology and risk assessment, and the expected developments in the next days to few weeks, the following public health measures to mitigate the impact of the pandemic are necessary in EU/EEA countries:

Social distancing measures should be implemented early in order to mitigate the impact of the epidemic and to delay the epidemic peak. This can interrupt human-to-human transmission chains, prevent further spread, reduce the intensity of the epidemic and slow down the increase in cases, while allowing healthcare systems to prepare and cope with an increased influx of patients.

Such measures should include:
    ... Community engagement and acceptance of stringent social distancing measures put in place are key in delaying and reducing further spread."

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-increased

We're also past the containment stage and onto the mitigation stage you poor uninformed person. Go research the difference.

Please do not post again until you know what you are talking about. Make an effort. At a minimum make sure you post about the right disease. Thanks.
  • frank
    Is it so hard to keep the orangemanbad rants on the Trump thread and out of the Corona thread?Nobeernolife

Apparently. He's a Satanic figure: the cause of all evil.
  • NOS4A2

Nah.

The Global recession is already here, just like the pandemic. And your economy isn't ruined. It would be ruined if Russia fired all it's nukes at the US, but in reality those soviet nuclear warheads have only given you electricity to your cities. Besides, after a downturn, then there's a great opportunity for economic growth!

Trump doesn't understand it, but NOW the crash and dire economic situation is not going to be blamed on him. He won't have Joe Biden saying like Clinton to Bush "It's the economy, stupid!" Any idiot will understand that this recession has happened because we still put human life before money.

South Korea didn’t need to put their economy on hold and to enact draconian measures.

Both are contagious viruses that cause respiratory illness.
  • Baden

So what? Write about the right disease. Is it clear?
  • NOS4A2

I’m writing about the containment measures for epidemics.
  • Baden

I'm not going to tell you again. Next time I'll presume it's deliberate misinformation instead of a stupid mistake.
  • Baden
    epidemics.NOS4A2

We're in a pandemic, silly. And recommendations are different for different diseases. Why do I have to explain this to you?
  • NOS4A2

I’ll delete the information, but only because I pity censors.
  • Baden

I don't care what you do, just write about the correct disease. Pfft, it's like kindergarten here sometimes.
  • NOS4A2

You do care, obviously, and I will abide by your authority.
  • ssu
    Did you understand my comment?
  • Baden
    Is it so hard to keep the orangemanbad rants on the Trump thread and out of the Corona thread?Nobeernolife

Not sure ssu was ranting, but on the general point I agree. Things are getting mixed up between threads and the same stuff is being written in different places. The place for full on anti-Trump rage is the Trump thread. Same for TDS rebuttals. However, that's just advisory. Usual flaming rules apply.
  • praxis
    One can dream.
    — praxis

Is it so hard to keep the orangemanbad rants on the Trump thread and out of the Corona thread?
    Nobeernolife

I did forget to mention Trump’s failure to repeal and replace the ACA. Not to worry though, if he’s reelected they’re on track to make healthcare insurance unaffordable to tens of millions of Americans, just like it was in the good old days before Obama.

Back to topic. :grimace:
  • Nobeernolife
    I did forget to mention Trump’s failure to repeal and replace the ACA. Not to worry though, if he’s reelected they’re on track to make healthcare insurance unaffordable to tens of millions of Americans, just like it was in the good old days before Obama.praxis

Oh right. Obama made healthcare affordable by passing an "affordable healthcare act". Gee, how brilliant! I suggest then than Trump signs a "Cure Corona Act", and the Corona will be gone. Maybe after that an "Eternal health and wealth for all forever" act, and everybody will live forever.

I just love simple minds. Would you like buy a used car from me?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Can I just gently say that we are blessed/fortunate/lucky to be able to have the time and good health to be debating this? If you have read this post this far in than may I give you a virtual hug and inhale your stress and exhale stability into you. It works better than throwing profanity at one another, I need you guys right now but I also need civility.
    Can we work with that?
  • ssu

Perhaps I'll clear myself.

1) Policy decisions taken by countries do effect the spread of the pandemic. Hence the what policies Trump or the Federal State implements has an effect, even if there are the States and their governors making decisions also. Hence policy has to be noticed in this thread also.

2) The President is worried about the economic recession and wants to loosen the "lock down".

3) My argument was that this isn't rational as loosening the precautions will worsen the epidemic and the emphasis should be now on stopping the spread of the virus too quickly. Besides, everybody will understand that this present economic downturn happened because of the pandemic.
  • ssu
    South Korea didn’t need to put their economy on hold and to enact draconian measures.NOS4A2
    Totally wrong. South Korea is in recession:

Nomura Securities estimated South Korea’s Q1 economic growth rate at negative 3.7 percent and Oxford Economics and Barclays estimated it at negative 1.4 percent and negative 1.3 percent, respectively.

Deputy Prime Minister Hong Nam-ki is admitting the possibility of a recession as well. He remarked on March 20 that the repercussions of the spread of the coronavirus would include a negative economic growth in the first quarter of this year. Likewise, the Bank of Korea mentioned that the Q1 economic growth rate would be less than that of the first quarter of 2019, negative 0.4 percent.
    And it likely goes into longer recession when the Global economy tanks.

Secondly, because they simply were successful in contain the spread of the virus. They did a lot of testing. They could trace down the infections and apply proper quarantine. Yet they did have "Patient 31", who went on to spread the virus around.

And why was that testing so successful?

Under South Korea’s single-payer health care system, getting tested costs $134. But with a doctor’s referral or for those who’ve made contact with an infected person, testing is free. Even undocumented foreigners are urged to get tested and won’t face threats due to their status.

The US isn't anywhere there anymore. It's in all states already. Now it's only to curb the spike in infections so that the health care system won't collapse. That's why the lockdown.
  • praxis
    may I give you a virtual hug and inhale your stress and exhale stability into you. ... I need you guys right now but I also need civility.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Frankly, it sounds like you’re in a greater need for stability than we are. I suggest you try to find it in whatever way works best for you.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Frankly, it sounds like you’re in a greater need for stability than we are. I suggest you try to find it in whatever way works best for you.praxis

Thank you for the reflection as I might very well be looking to my circle of thinkers for stability. It is a by product of loving people.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.