• Streetlight

If you don't watch this and you still think you can discuss CV, you disqualify yourself from discussing CV. Basically on the continuity of the 2008 crisis with the current one, and how Trump may well stymie the last available mechanism for economic revival out of sheer ineptitude.

@fdrake
  • Andrew M
    "Authorities have suggested the US is on track to eventually overtake China’s nearly 82,000 infections." [from article]Michael

I'm giving it three days.

Probably not a good idea for Trump to start easing restrictions.Michael

The spread of the virus must be brought under control first - the alternative is many unnecessary deaths.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The spread of the virus must be brought under control first - the alternative is many unnecessary deaths.
    1m
    Andrew M

Until we can start testing communities we won't know where herd immunity exists. If we can ID those people, we can send them to our front lines of needs.
  • NOS4A2

The idea that the reaction will be worse than the disease is becoming more and more likely.
  • Michael
    Pretty sure there won't be herd immunity until there's a vaccine. And in the case of coronavirus 29–74% of the population need to be immunised.
  • Streetlight
    Spell this out. If you're comparing misery to misery - parroting word-for-word a certain shitstain in chief - what is the threshold of deaths at which you'd be prepared to countenance reversing the 'reaction'? How many can or should die? You can round to the nearest ten thousandth if you like. A percentage of population will do too. Answer with a number or don't answer at all.
  • NOS4A2

Spell this out. If you're comparing misery to misery - parroting word-for-word a certain shitstain in chief - what is the threshold of deaths at which you'd be prepared to countenance reversing the 'reaction'? How many can or should die? You can round to the nearest ten thousandth if you like. A percentage of population will do too. Answer with a number or don't answer at all..

Children are largely unlikely to be affected by the disease itself but we are going to hand them an economy that we’ve ruined. No amount of technocratic number-crunching and chart-viewing can avoid that.
  • Streetlight
    Answer the fucking question.
  • NOS4A2

I don’t have an answer.
  • Nobeernolife
    Probably not a good idea for Trump to start easing restrictions.Michael

I dont think it is Trump alone who decides that on a whim. You can be pretty sure he has expert virologists who are looking at the situation and know more about it than you or I.
  • Streetlight
    Of course you don't you spineless git.
  • NOS4A2

There’s my answer.
  • Streetlight
    I'll take inconsistency. It's better than barbarism.
  • NOS4A2

Barbarism? The impotent notion that questioning the authoritarian responses of governments is tantamount to wanting people dead is utter nonsense.
  • frank
    Pretty sure there won't be herd immunity until there's a vaccine.Michael

Herd immunity can be created by just having the virus spread through communities, which is what we're doing.
  • frank
    The idea that the reaction will be worse than the disease is becoming more and more likely.NOS4A2

We'll see.
  • Michael
    Herd immunity can be created by just having the virus spread through communities, which is what we're doing.frank

That seems counterproductive. Herd immunity is a protection against spread. We want herd immunity to stop the disease from spreading.
  • frank
    That seems counterproductive. Herd immunity is a protection against spread. We want herd immunity to stop the disease from spreading.Michael

A vaccine creates immunity by subjecting a person to parts of the virus. This stimulates an immune response, so when the person is exposed to the real virus, the immune system doesn't have to ramp up. It's ready to deploy. This is exactly the state of a person who's already had the virus.

We want the disease to spread so that we get herd immunity. Once we have that, vulnerable people will be less likely to get it because there are fewer active infections near them.
  • Michael

The U.K.’s Coronavirus ‘Herd Immunity’ Debacle

Herd immunity is typically generated through vaccination, and while it could arise through widespread infection, “you don’t rely on the very deadly infectious agent to create an immune population,” says Akiko Iwasaki, a virologist at the Yale School of Medicine. And that seemed like the goal. In interviews, Vallance and others certainly made it sound like the government was deliberately aiming for 60 percent of the populace to fall ill. Keep calm and carry on … and get COVID-19.

That is not the plan.

“People have misinterpreted the phrase herd immunity as meaning that we’re going to have an epidemic to get people infected,” says Graham Medley at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Medley chairs a group of scientists who model the spread of infectious diseases and advise the government on pandemic responses. He says that the actual goal is the same as that of other countries: flatten the curve by staggering the onset of infections. As a consequence, the nation may achieve herd immunity; it’s a side effect, not an aim.
  • frank
    Do you want me to explain anymore about it, or are you happy with the understanding you have?
  • Michael
    I'm happy with my understanding. And my understanding is that you have it wrong. We're not trying to create a herd immunity by promoting the spread of the disease.
  • praxis

Disturbing, however, perhaps he paints a dire landscape in order to garner support for Diem25?
  • Streetlight
    This is about corporate panic over bottom lines, not authoritarian government, and only idiots are consistently suckered into thinking the latter is where the stakes lie in this current debate - much to the delight of those same corporations.
  • Streetlight
    As far as numbers go, it seems like the those who'd ape the president's just-thinking-aloud about the keeping the US 'open for business' are, in practice, willing to forgo roughly 600,000 lives. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/economic-shutdown-is-estimated-to-save-600-000-american-lives

Because fuck old and sick people lol.
  • Streetlight
    Oh he's undoubtably doing that - but it's not just that. His analysis of 2008 are consistent with what he wrote in his books on the topic long before he become a founding member of Diem.
  • frank
    Because fuck old and sick people lol.StreetlightX

Shove it up your ass you fucking retard.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.