• Nobeernolife
    Besides the VP is going to be a WOMAN because Biden is WOKE.StreetlightX

In all likelyhood, it is going to be a Biden/Harris combination. If that pair wins, the presidency is going to looks like a WH version of "Driving Miss Daisy", with an increasingly senile Biden being Miss Daisy. Keep the popcorn ready and hope the blunders are not too big.
  • Saphsin
    This is quite good and in tune with my experience. You just can’t browbeat people into voting for and campaigning for an awful candidate. Sorry, I don’t agree with that attitude, and argued for strategic lesser evil voting in 2016, but that’s the truth about our society. You have to go about this much more sincerely, but that hasn’t happened and never will. If you are committed to get Biden elected, put in half the work Sanders supporters do for their candidate and get out the vote.

“....The answer is that you can do nothing. The opportunity to win back Bernie's voters came and went four years ago. Bernie could spend the rest of the year campaigning for Joe. Joe could promise to abolish private property by executive order on day one. It would not be enough.

...I campaigned for Bernie in the 2016 primary and voted for Hillary Clinton in the general election. Actually, in spite of my reservations about the party, I have, as a form of harm mitigation, chosen a straight Democratic ticket in every election I have ever voted in. I will probably volunteer for Democratic get-out-the-vote efforts after the Sanders campaign concludes. Because I’ve texted literally tens of thousands of Bernie voters, I wanted to offer some suggestions about what the party (and you as individuals) can do to ensure that enough of them show up in November to beat Donald Trump...

...According to the New York Times, Bernie Sanders was the most donated-to candidate in almost every district of every state in the union. He has a volunteer corps of over a million people. He lit a fire under a bunch of us who spend most of our time joking around on Twitter. I have never seen more people give freely to something bigger than themselves. It was not enough to win, but it was something unique in recent history.

If Sanders drops out of the race and endorses Joe Biden, that network of volunteers and grassroots donors will vanish like frost. The problem is not that Sanders lost but that he was defeated by main force. You don't see it that way, but my friends do.

You are going to have to count on losing more Bernie Bros than Hillary lost. Maybe you don’t need them, but you do need to take stock of your own forces. Your army is consultants, suburban parents, journalists who are addicted to Twitter, and senior citizens who are addicted to MSNBC. Also, possibly, the handful of very confused senior citizens who have wandered onto Twitter.

I have been giving about twenty to thirty hours a week to the Sanders campaign, which amounts to a few more than six hundred assignments requested. The top texter has requested, last I checked, over eleven thousand assignments. The total number of volunteers on the text team is over thirty thousand. On a slow day, I sign up maybe a dozen people to join us as volunteers. Other texters have told me much the same. You can do the multiplication.”

https://medium.com/@srwm1138/im-a-bernie-volunteer-here-s-how-joe-biden-can-win-bernie-voters-6da47bbf4d52?fbclid=IwAR1I2RfBsDJ8xu2pJm84I3Bx8-Du1eWKnh4KDaoCGchd5O2-Wdo7BogYN-w
  • fishfry
    Of course there will be involvement with private hospitals and private insurance, to a degree.
    — Xtrix

Those involvements are exactly what makes Medicare so popular;
    — fishfry

So you've asserted, without any evidence whatsoever.
    Xtrix

So fucking what? Look it up. Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplemental. I can't sit here and teach you Medicare. It's a very complicated system. Go do your homework.
  • fishfry
    Maybe you SHOULD be excluded from adult conversations after all.Xtrix

I wonder where I got the idea it was a waste of time to interact with you.
  • Mikie
    So you've asserted, without any evidence whatsoever.
    — Xtrix

So fucking what? Look it up. Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplemental. I can't sit here and teach you Medicare. It's a very complicated system. Go do your homework.
    fishfry

Lol (I actually did). The response of an adolescent who hasn't a clue wha the's talking about. Fair enough, buddy. I'll spend my time tracking down stupid claims form ignorant people with zero credibility.

I wonder where I got the idea it was a waste of time to interact with you.fishfry

Yeah, YOU'RE the one who's wondering that. lol. God you're a joke. Goodbye.
  • Streetlight
    Anyone seen Joe Biden around?

"For almost a whole week, as the crisis has exponentially worsened by day, Biden seemed to have vanished off the face off the earth, surfacing only last Friday in a call with the press. He was “desperately” trying to “be in daily or at least, you know, significant contact with the American people and communicate what I would be doing,” he told reporters, as if regular, successful livestreaming hadn’t already been accomplished by both his opponent and millions of teenagers. To be fair, a source told ABC, Biden’s house in Wilmington had low ceilings, making lighting tough."

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/3/joe-biden-coronavirus-pandemic-presidential-campaign
  • frank
    1. This is the time that Trump would like to be plastering Biden with negative ads (before he consolidates the party behind him). He cant do that right now.

2. Trump has been putting his ineptitude on display. He looks bad.

3. The economy is tanking.

The virus favors Biden (unless he has it).
  • fishfry
    . Trump has been putting his ineptitude on display. He looks bad.frank

Some think he's doing quite well. His poll numbers are up. While he was restricting Chinese immigration in January, the Dems were calling him a racist and impeaching him. Now everyone in the world, even Doctor Fauci, say he did exactly the right thing.

People rally to the president in times of crisis. The Dems' constant carping comes off as childish to many.

I hope that even if you don't personally subscribe to these ideas, you are at least aware that many people of good will share them. The Dems reflexively attack everything Trump says and it's quite counterproductive. Today he said that we have to balance the virus with the economy. I personally agree. I don't think blowing up our economy is necessary and that it's possible to take a dispassionate look at things. The flu killed 80,000 Americans in 2018 and there was no panic and we didn't deliberately crash our economy. Trump was right today to simply say that we'll take another look in a couple of weeks. I agreed with what he said. If you disagree, ok. But you should realize, and the polls confirm, that many Americans do think that on balance he's doing a good job of leading the country right now. And yeah I get you don't like his style.

The virus favors Biden (unless he has it)frank

Have you seen Biden's latest webcast on coronavirus? He looks terrible. Robotically reading a teleprompter with zero charisma or leadership. #presidentCuomo is trending.

What the Dems and the people close to Biden are doing to him is cruel. He hasn't the capacity to be president. Which is just fine, because if we wins the Hillary/Obama wing of the party gets into power and runs things. Joe just has to show up and talk about Corn Pop or whatever. That's the Dems' cynical plan. And if Biden loses? At least they beat down the Bernie wing of the party. That was the main goal.

It's a long way to November. I for one don't think the American people are going to go along with the Biden sham.
  • ssu
    . He hasn't the capacity to be president.fishfry
    Lol. Well, when has that been a problem??? :grin:

While he was restricting Chinese immigration in January, the Dems were calling him a racist and impeaching him.fishfry
    Immigration??? I think it was travel and quarantines (tourists aren't immigrants). Anyway, that is now one of the good decisions that Trump has made. Especially when Trump doing this went against WHO, which at that time was against travel bans.

The World Health Organization, which declared the outbreak a global health emergency this week, has recommended against any travel or trade restrictions in response to the outbreak. Member countries, however, do not have to comply with that guidance.

“Although travel restrictions may intuitively seem like the right thing to do, this is not something that WHO usually recommends,” said Tarik Jašarević, a WHO spokesperson. “This is because of the social disruption they cause and the intensive use of resources required,” he added.
    See (from that time) Health experts warn China travel ban will hinder coronavirus response

Yet now Trump is panicking about the prevailing economic depression and wanting to stop this "social distancing" and lock down for economic purposes. And knowing Trump's supporters and Fox News, they will reurgitate whatever this guy says. Yet I don't think the economic depression will be such a problem: people understand this happens because of the pandemic, which isn't in Trump's hands.
  • Baden
    Yet now Trump is panicking about the prevailing economic depression and wanting to stop this "social distancing" and lock down for economic purposes.ssu

You would hope he's not that irrational, but he can't stand the idea of being a loser on the economy, which he now is, so it is possible he'd sacrifice American lives for a stockmarket boost.

And knowing Trump's supporters and Fox News, they will reurgitate whatever this guy says.ssu

And his sycophants here too will be singing his praises even as more Americans die. Hard to understand. But that's what will happen.
  • frank
    His poll numbers are up. ,fishfry

I think up to 50% approval. Governors are getting 70%. But ok. Maybe he has a glow I'm not seeing.

The facts remain: he can't attack Biden right now and the economy looks bad.
  • ssu
    The facts remain: he can't attack Biden right now and the economy looks bad.frank
    Does anybody need to attack Biden now?

Isn't Joe doing it to himself?

And now for Trump the best thing is to appear in the television talking about the pandemic.
  • frank
    Does anybody need to attack Biden now?

Isn't Joe doing it to himself?
    ssu

I dont think he's doing it as well as the GOP would be. He has a speech impediment. FDR was a paraplegic. You can lead without looking like Superman.
  • ssu
    ou can lead without looking like Superman.frank
    Well, you can be Trump and be the US President. And possibly be re-elected.
  • frank
    Sure. Trump is likely to be re-elected. So what?
  • Maw
    Anyone seen Joe Biden around?StreetlightX

Love how the Democratic frontrunner went missing for 6 days as the crisis escalated here :up:
  • Streetlight
    They had to take him out of his rejuvenation tank just so he could do a video call. They're continuing to work on his failing circuits as we speak.
  • Baden

*Shrug* I just presumed he was dead.
  • Maw
    They had to take him out of his rejuvenation tank just so he could do a video call. They're continuing to work on his failing circuits as we speak.StreetlightX

They need to charge his battery for nearly a full week so that he can speak half-coherently for 5 minutes.
  • Maw
    *Shrug* I just presumed he was dead.Baden

I was 50/50 on if he had coronavirus.
  • Maw
    Biden Comes Alive! one of my favorite live albums
  • frank
    If you were in a swing state, would you vote Trump?
  • NOS4A2
    Bernie fans might rejoice because these allegations of sexual assault and rape could spell the end for Biden should they get enough traction.

• Baden

Here's the accusation:

“He used to put his hand on my shoulder and run his finger up my neck”

https://www.theunion.com/news/nevada-county-woman-says-joe-biden-inappropriately-touched-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

Consider Trump raped several women and still got elected, I have a feeling this is not going to have much impact.
  • NOS4A2

The accusation is he pushed her against a wall, kissed her and penetrated her with his fingers.
  • Baden

If that's the accusation, it should be investigated now and widely reported.
  • NOS4A2

Somehow I doubt that is going to happen. She’s already been accused of working with the Russians, so that kind of implies where this will go.
  • Baden

It's an unfortunate defensive reaction. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the accusation was true anyhow.
  • fishfry
    If you were in a swing state, would you vote Trump?frank

I asked myself that in 2016. I hated (and hate) Hillary with a deep and abiding passion; but I do believe that if I'd lived in a swing state I'd have voted for Hillary. I live in California so I cast a protest vote for Trump. In 2012 I cast a protest vote for Gary Johnson; but by 2016 he was just mailing it in and wasn't worth voting for. I like Jill Stein personally but I'm not a new age loon so I couldn't vote for her. That left Trump as my only viable protest vote.

But in 2020? I will vote for Trump and would do that in any state. The Dems started with their Russia lie to avoid having to take responsibility for losing the most winnable election of all time. And they've turned that into over three years of trying to destroy the president at the expense of the country.

I wish Trump would stop tweeting and would choose his words with more care and did not deliberately pour gasoline on every fire. He calls it the China virus just to tweak his haters and personally I wish he were bigger than that.

But it's Trump, and as they said about Reagan, let Trump be Trump. He's fought off everything the Dems can throw at him and Gallup says 60% of the country thinks he's doing a good job in the covid crisis.

He stood up to China and China is a country that needs standing up to. He wants to bring manufacturing back to the US. Suddenly we all see the wisdom of that.

So I support Trump, warts and all. And if you want to categorize me: I'm a non-deplorable Trump supporter. There aren't enough deplorables to elect Trump. Trump won with the support of tens of millions of disaffected liberals like myself. Instead of pumping Russiagate and Stormy and Michael Cohen and Ukrainegate and all the rest of it the Dems had tried to figure out what people like me see in Trump, they'd be far better off.

As it is the Dems are going the way of the Whigs. Joe Biden. Please!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.