• jorndoe
    UK Not Likely to Survive Brexit Article 50 Decision
    Mark McNaught
    Dec 2016

:o

What the heck is going on in the UK anyway?
  • mcdoodle
    This article is from Demos Scotland, who have their own axe to grind: preparing the ground, as they see it, for an independent Scotland (which would have great economic difficulties, on the face of it, since the rest of the UK subsidises Scottish public expenditure).

But no doubt about it, the UK is traumatised. The political classes are bewildered and confused: all the leaders of all the main parties, and even most minor parties bar UKIP, backed Remain in the referendum. The government and the civil service had made a decision not to prepare in advance for the possibility of a Brexit vote, so they're scrambling to catch up. There's a void at the heart of things. Time to think hard about truthmakers, epistemology and the meaning of meaning, in my view. Until they call me in to help solve the crisis, obviously. :)
  • jorndoe
    Thanks for the info @mcdoodle; hadn't actually checked the site further, it was just casually given to me by friend that lives in London, UK.

I'm not a UK citizen, just an observer, but it seems to me that Brexit got the votes on things not all that relevant.
    An anti-establishment, dissident, type sentiment, coming from anti-immigrant rhetoric and such.
  • Michael
    It doesn't help that those in power either don't know what they're doing or are just lying. All this talk about remaining in the single market but having control over immigration despite the EU making it clear that this can't happen...
  • BC
    There's a void at the heart of thingsmcdoodle

You think you have a void at the heart of things? Just wait! Once the Void Elect takes office you'll see a black hole enlarging from it's starting point at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • BC
    What the heck is going on in the UK anyway?jorndoe

The same thing that is going on everywhere...

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats
  • mcdoodle
    You think you have a void at the heart of things? Just wait! Once the Void Elect takes office you'll see a black hole enlarging from it's starting point at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.Bitter Crank

:::laughs::: I'm already peering nervously at the event horizon.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.