• Streetlight
    70 pages in, and it's pretty fun so far. I think Graeber gets a bit of flak for coming off as a bit glib, but he's got the chops to back it up so I don't mind. Seems to me the basic point is to say of debt what Marx said of capital: it's a social relation. The rich anthropological and historical discussions are all meant to flesh this out.
  • Maw
    you gotta tell me how you like the Brown book.StreetlightX

Finished it a few days back and really enjoyed it. Quite pithy, which I always appreciate. The chapters on the dissolution of the social and the political, replaced by an expanding private sphere was compelling. They are variants on themes I've heard before. I found the last chapter particularity intriguing with Brown's analysis that Capitalism dissolves moral values that would otherwise act as a conscience barrier restraining aggressive acts. With this nihilism in place it then opens a lacuna for nihilism, power as politics, viz., the Alt-Right, to rush in, which explains our contemporary political climate.

However, thinking about the final chapter more in depth, and in a historical context, the political violence in the USA has in fact decreased in the past 40 years. And it's not as if political history isn't abound with moral sublimation between colonialism, slavery, torture, genocide, etc., I'd have to think about it more, but I would say that a conscience isn't a given - which I think Wendy Brown somewhat presupposes here - something that is then subsequently eroded, by neoliberalism. Rather, a conscience is something to be developed, and neoliberalism works to ensure that it doesn't. There are more layers here than explain the political climate, rather than just neoliberal hegemony.
  • Streetlight
    Yeah, I thought the last chapter - along with the legal analysis in chpt 4 - were the most original of the book. I think you're entirely right too in saying that liberalism stifles the development of moral relations, rather than eroding a given.
  • Streetlight
    Christian Marazzi - The Violence of Financial Capitalism

Read this over a couple of days. Was a bit too condensed to be particularly useful, but the emphasis on considering the global (rather than regional) nature and reach of financialization was a good takeaway.
  • frank
    liberalism stifles the development of moral relations,StreetlightX

When people say "business is business" they mean that it's a world where contracts are much more important than friendship or even familial relationships. People who fail to recognize that will eventually be screwed over by a former friend and either learn to protect themselves legally or exit that world. So there are natural sentiments that get squashed.

The cultural climate also matters.
  • Maw
    The Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel
    A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America by Bruce Gibney
  • Shawn
    So jelly you people can read books.
  • 180 Proof
    liberalism stifles the development of moral relations,
    — StreetlightX

When people say "business is business" they mean that it's a world where contracts are much more important than friendship or even familial relationships. People who fail to recognize that will eventually be screwed over by a former friend and either learn to protect themselves legally or exit that world. So there are natural sentiments that get squashed.

The cultural climate also matters.
    frank

True.

:death: :flower:
  • Baden
    Conversations with Zizek—Zizek with Glyn Daly

And a bunch of grammar/style guides for work.
  • Amity
    And a bunch of grammar/style guides for work.Baden

Such as ?
    Do you really need them - I thought you already a talented writer and educator ?
  • Baden

Oh, they're predominantly academic style guides for my editing work (Chicago, MLA, APA, Turabian etc). They're very fine grained and differ on minutiae depending on the field etc. Thanks for the compliment anyhow. :wink:
  • Amity
    ...for my editing work (Chicago, MLA, APA, Turabian etc). They're very fine grained and differ on minutiae depending on the field etc. Thanks for the compliment anyhowBaden

Ah, OK - so you provide professional editing services for all sorts. Consider me even more impressed.

Had a quick look at Turabian. I note that it is used in journal articles and essays as well as for theses, dissertations and research papers. Apparently offering more readability.

The Turabian style of writing a bibliography in the notes-bibliography mode is perfect for humanities, like arts, languages, literature and history.

So, let's just say that there might be a few generous intellectuals on or off TPF...
    And imagine that they have a burning desire to write an article for TPF.
    Why wouldn't they ?
    This would be a polished, perfect product; a proud upstanding piece of philosophy :cool:
    Then we could all tear it to shreds :naughty: ...er... I mean enjoy and comment :halo:

I think you should write an article on 'How to Write an Article'.
    You know ya wanna :wink:
  • Baden

Check out all this attention. @Banno eat your heart out. :wink:

Actually, I've started a blog on various aspects of writing on my site, including how to write academic articles. What I might do here is write an article on argumentation (claims, reasons, warrants, and evidence etc). Anyhow, we're off-topic, so I'll shut up now. Feel free to send a PM about any of this and thanks for the encouragement. :up:
  • Amity
    Check out all this attention. Banno eat your heart out. :wink:Baden

You guys :roll:

What I might do here is write an article on argumentation (claims, reasons, warrants, and evidence etc)Baden

Excellent :up:
    Make it so, number one.

Anyhow, we're off-topic, so I'll shut up nowBaden
    Well, not really and please don't.

While I enjoy the lists of current reads, I like it even more when there's a bit of a conversation or review. Like here:
    you gotta tell me how you like the Brown book.
    — StreetlightX
    Finished it a few days back and really enjoyed it...
    Maw

Writing a TPF Book Review article would be a bit more challenging but would be easy to find, informative, insightful and inspiring.
    How about it...?
  • Amity
    Actually, I've started a blog on various aspects of writing on my site, including how to write academic articles.Baden

Didn't know that. Is there a link to this on TPF ?
  • Baden

No. I try to keep that stuff separate. I've started writing something along the lines suggested though, so I'll keep you posted. :up:
  • Amity
    I try to keep that stuff separateBaden

That's a shame. However, I understand the need to keep personal stuff separate. God knows you don't want to be deluged by fan mail :hearts:

I've started writing something along the lines suggested though, so I'll keep you postedBaden

Look forward to reading it, thanks.
  • Baden

Alright, did that. I put it in the learning centre for now: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7014/effective-argumentation
  • Amity

Thanks for that excellent read. My fuller response there :smile:
  • Baden

And thanks for the push. :wink:
  • Chris Hughes

A reading room, perhaps
  • Streetlight
    A reading room, perhapsChris Hughes

Woah woah woah. I donno if this kind of highly charged erotic language is allowed here.
  • Chris Hughes
    Well, I've been reading 50 Shades of Grey. (Not really.)
  • Chris Hughes
    Actually, I've been reading five non-philosophy books. The one possibly fit to mention here is Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire, "a searing modern polemic... from the BAFTA and MOBO award-winning musician and political commentator, Akala", as UK bookseller Waterstones' synopsis has it.
  • _db
    Serotonin by Michel Houellebecq
  • 180 Proof
    november-december readings:

Mythmakers & Lawbreakers, ed. Margaret Killjoy
    Peter Watts is An Angry Sentient Tumor, Peter Watts

re-reading

Poor Economics, Abhijit Banerjee & Esther Duflo
    The Sublime Reader, ed. Robert Clewis
    The Source of Self-Regard, Toni Morrison
    Murray Talks Music, Albert Murray
    The Nearest Thing to Life, James Wood
  • Pantagruel
    "Chaos and Complexity in Psychology" - finishing today
    "Essay on Philosophical Method" - R.G. Collingwood, underway
    "Analysis of Sensations and Relation of the Physical to the Psychical" - Ernst Mach - starting tomorrow

Wanted to start Popper's 3 volume "Postscript to the Logic of Scientific Discovery" but volume 1 is hung up from a tardy Amazon vendor. :(
  • Streetlight
    Wolfgang Streek - Buying Time: The Delayed Crisis of Democratic Capitalism
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.