• Baden

Cheers I'll take a look at a sample anyhow or I may be able to get the pdf somewhere.
  • T Clark
    In another thread, @Wayfarer recommended the following book - Baggott, Jim. Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth (p. 8). Pegasus Books.

It was really helpful. It is broken into two parts - the authorized story and the realm where Baggot thinks physics has gone off the tracks. The part I liked best was the first. His explanations of the Standard Model, the Higgs field and boson, symmetry breaking, and the evidence for the Big Bang and Dark Matter answered questions that have bothered me for a long time.

His writing is clear and simple but not too simple. He shows enthusiasm for science without any Gee Whiz.
  • Baden
    Umberto Eco: Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language
  • _db
    The Tragic Sense of Life by Miguel de Unamuno
  • anChored tRain
    Just finished reading Urantia Book
    Now reading:
    The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm
  • Streetlight
    Matthew Warren - Balckout: How Is Energy-Rich Australia Running Out of Electricity?
    Patchen Markell - Bound By Recognition
  • Streetlight
    Joseph Carew - Ontological Catastrophe: Zizek and the Paradoxical Metaphysics of German Idealism

Started this yesterday and I'm 2/3s through. It is fantastic.
  • Baden
    Marx - Capital Vol 1 (Reread)
  • nanashi nogombe
    The Plague of Fantasies - Slavoj Žižek
  • 180 Proof
    september readings:

Incontinence of the Void, Slavoj Žižek
    Strange Economics, eds. David F. Schultz et al
    Realm of Lesser Evil, Jean-Claude Michea
    The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead
    Less Than Human, David Livingston Smith
    This Way For The Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen, Tadeusz Borowski
  • Baden

'bout time you showed up. :up: :cool:
  • Saphsin
    I spend virtually all my time in the past 2 years on politics these days, in particular North Korea peace issues because that's what I've been involved in. But here are some stuff I've read that people here may be interested in:

Social Evolution, Political Psychology, and the Media in Democracy: The Invisible Hand in the U.S. Marketplace of Ideas - Peter Beattie

Capitalism vs. Freedom: The Toll Road to Serfdom - Rob Larson

No Less Than Mystic: A History of Lenin and the Russian Revolution for a 21st-Century Left - John Medhurst

Korea: Where the American Century Began - Michael Pembroke

Energy: A Human History - Richard Rhodes

A Bright Future: How Some Countries Have Solved Climate Change and the Rest Can Follow - Joshua Goldstein, Staffan A. Qvist

Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto - Stewart Brand

Philosophy and Climate Science - Eric Winsberg (more technical than I thought)

Nonsense on Stilts 2nd Edition - Massimo Pigliucci
  • Streetlight
    Hanna Pitkin - The Concept of Representation
    Gilles Deleuze - Masochism: Coldness and Cruelty (includes Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's Venus in Furs)

--

:cheer: 'sup!

Some really interesting looking stuff here.
  • 180 Proof

Well - long time no dialectic! Your lists, man, are still as monstrously inspiring as I remember ... :wink:
  • 180 Proof

'sup, B. :smirk:
  • 180 Proof
    What Is Real?, Adam Becker
    Something Deeply Hidden, Sean Carroll
    The Weil Conjecture, Karen Olsson
    The Nocturnal Brain, Guy Leschziner
    Witcraft, Jonathan Rée

re-reading:

Order of Time, Carlo Rovelli
    When Einstein Walked with Gödel, Jim Holt

Out of the blue a 'birthday gift' (prank?) has just arrived without signature or return address, which, for now, I've consigned to one my "stacks" until further notice ...

philosophers: Their Lives And Works, eds. M. Walisiewicz, et al
  • Maw
    omg you're back :grin:
  • 180 Proof

Yeah, some days ... Strange but still trying to get comfortable here. How've you been, Maw? Encouraged by what you've been reading. :up:
  • Deleted User
    Out of the blue a 'birthday gift' (prank?) has just arrived without signature or return address, which, for now, I've consigned to one my "stacks" until further notice ...180 Proof

:chin: .. Oh no. :death:
  • Pantagruel
    "Introduction to Systems Philosophy" Ervin Laszlo - just finished
    "General Systems Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications" Ludwig von Bertalanffy - just started
  • Maw
    Thank you kindly! I've been well despite the hyper-descent into hell we've been tumbling into. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the modern political trajectory here around the world, along with the left-wing counter-resurgence.
  • Deleteduserrc
    rage & time - peter sloterdijk
    end of history & the last man - francis fukuyama
    reality is not what it seems - carlo rovelli
    the europeans - henry james

Apparently Fukuyama studied under Derrida at Yale. The guy who engineered modern neoconservatism, helped get us embroiled in Iraq - he was gonna be a cont-lit guy. Later, Derrida strikes him down in Spectres of Marx. this is weird. Kissinger era realism went though a continental bottleneck and got us post 911 us policy
  • Noble Dust
    Crime And Punishment - Dostoevsky (found it on the street :fire: )
    Man And His Symbols - Edited by C.G. Jung
    The Destiny Of Man - Nikolai Berdyaev

On deck:

The Dream Quest Of Unknown Kadath - H.P. Lovecraft (my favorite novel title of all time...maybe I shouldn't read it and just continue to enjoy the title.)
  • lecrop
    Hi, first post :smile:

Now reading Zeit der Zauberer - Das große Jahrzehnt der Philosophie 1919-1929 - W.Eilenberger
  • Maw
    Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion by Jia Tolentino
    The World of Late Antiquity: AD 150-750 by Peter Brown
    Black Rights/White Wrongs: The Critique of Racial Liberalism by Charles Mills
  • 180 Proof
    I've been well despite the hyper-descent into hell we've been tumbling into. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the modern political trajectory here around the world, along with the left-wing counter-resurgence. — Maw
    A bit of momentary reprieve in hell this week. These days, however, I'm just too fatigued to put my (out)rage at this ascendent(?) 'anti-political zeitgeist' into words. But I'm sure we'll chew on our share of effin' fat cat gristle one of these days, comrade. :wink:

Thanks, btw, for mentioning the Charles Mills' book - looks like my jam; I'll wait, though, for your 4-1-1 if & when you'd be so kind. Likewise, if you haven't noticed from my earlier current reads (above), Realm of Lesser Evil, check it out. I might say something more about it when my first read's done.
  • Amity
    I might say something more about it when my first read's done.180 Proof

And to anyone else not mentioned.

Impressive lists. Impressive amounts of reading.
    Sorry to intrude, and it is off topic, but I thought it worth posting here.

How many takes does it take to get the most out of a book. And is it better if you have someone else reading along with you - or at the end of a reading ?

I would like to hear views on how best to read a book for understanding.
    In particular, the taking of notes and writing down thoughts; what you have read and its effects.

Also, how best to discuss a book with others; especially in an online forum.
    Because this sharing might be life-changing for some...

There is a current thread here:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/6716/mortimer-adler-how-to-read-a-book
  • Baden
    The mythology of work: how capitalism persists despite itself—Peter Fleming

Problematizes the concept and practice of work especially in the context of its most recent neoliberal incarnation. Very good so far.
  • Amity
    I'll wait, though, for your 4-1-1180 Proof

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a 4-1-1 ?
  • Baden

Hadn't read that discussion yet. Thanks for the heads up. :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.