• Streetlight
    Henry Staten - Nietzsche's Voice
    Noson Yanofsky - The Outer Limits of Reason: What Science, Mathematics, and Logic Cannot Tell Us

Mostly finished my little 'math phase' for now, so hopefully I can pick up the pace a bit on reading. That said I picked up the Yanofsky book after reading this lovely article on the math and the multiverse that anyone interested in one or both ought to read: http://nautil.us/issue/49/the-absurd/chaos-makes-the-multiverse-unnecessary
  • RegularGuy
    I found that article interesting until it got to the complex numbers. Then I lost interest because I was too lazy to put in the mental work.
  • Streetlight
    Nooo stop being lazy! Reading discipline is important!
  • RegularGuy
    Mom! He yelled at me! LOL
  • RegularGuy
    Actually, I just realized that I don’t know whether you’re a he or a she.
  • Streetlight
    I am your reading daddy.
  • Shawn
    If only I could read 1/10'th of what StreetlightX does, ho hum...
  • Maw
    The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
  • Streetlight
    f65m45tja84loe57.jpg

I may or may not be chillin' on a rooftop in Fez at Sunset getting through my reading right now.
  • RegularGuy
    Morocco? Very cool. :cool:
  • Maw
    Nice kicks

The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord
    Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War by Michael Isikoff and David Corn
  • Streetlight
    Stanley Cavell - The Claim of Reason: Wittgenstein, Skepticism, Morality, and Tragedy
  • Boras
    I haven’t been able to read much lately but I’m currently reading;
    -Utopia Tomas Moro (in Spanish)
    -Walden Henry David Thoreau (in English)
    I’m finding both books fascinating and that many of the ideas they transmit are really contemporary. I will be definitely reading more about them.
    P.D. Hi everyone, this is my first comment in this forum.
  • Maw
    From Slavery to the Cooperative Commonwealth: Labor and Republican Liberty in the Nineteenth Century by Alex Gourevitch
  • Deleteduserrc
    The Bostonians Henry James
    The Bible
  • frank
    You mean the real Bible?
  • Deleteduserrc
    Yeah, I've meant to read it for a really long time. I like it mostly so far, though the repetition in the pentateuch can be wearying at times.
  • frank
    Hebrew poetry reminds me a little of 12-bar blues: repetition and resolution. Maybe that's a leftover from oral transmission?
  • 0 thru 9
    I find the unleavened dryness of the Bible to be pleasantly counter-balanced by a bottle of Manischewitz wine.
  • frank
    I find the unleavened dryness of the Bible to be pleasantly counter-balanced by a bottle of Manischewitz wine.0 thru 9

Abraham's line is initiated into priesthood by Melchizedek with bread and wine: the same kind of meal that transformed Enkidu from wildman to civilized. Bread and wine points back to something beyond human memory: the point that we realized that we aren't just animals.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Hebrew poetry reminds me a little of 12-bar blues: repetition and resolution. Maybe that's a leftover from oral transmission?frank

I'm supplementing my reading with lectures from the Yale Open Course on the OT and the professor seems to think that might be it - that or, maybe it was written down, but read aloud, and the repetition would help the key points stick for the illiterate audience.

I think there's something to what you said. I found the end of deuteronomy beautiful, and part of that was the delayed release. (also appreciate, being done with it, the repetition. a lot of stuff about e.g the role of levites stuck that wouldnt have if they didnt say it eighteen times.)
  • Deleteduserrc
    in any case, on to joshua!
  • _db
    9-11: Was There an Alternative? by Noam Chomsky.
    The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided By Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt.
    The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker.
    Ethics by Spinoza.
  • frank
    I'm supplementing my reading with lectures from the Yale Open Coursecsalisbury
    I listened to all the Dale Martin lectures on the New Testament and I really learned a lot.
  • Maw
    Capital In the 21st Century by Thomas Piketty
  • Streetlight
    Stanley Cavell - Must We Mean What We Say?: A Book of Essays
  • I like sushi
    Currently reading the entrails of a dead goat .., the future looks gruff!

Seriously, main three I’m focused on atm:

- Aion by Carl Jung (a bit of a slog)
    - Mythology of The Celtic People by Charles Squire
    - On the Genealogy of Morals by Nietzsche

Also, less attention on:

- Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard
    - Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche (second reading)
    - Odysseus by Homer
    - a few others that don’t immediately spring to mind!
  • Baden
    Mark Fisher - Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?

:up: :up:
  • Maw
    So good

Private Government: How Employers Rule Our Lives (and Why We Don't Talk about It) by Elizabeth Anderson (just finished, and the ending has a glorious put down of libertarian economist Tyler Cowen's response to her)

White Identity Politics by Ashley Jardina
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.