• Heracloitus
    Henri Lefebvre - Rhythmanalysis
    Dawn Lyon - What is Rhythmanalysis?
    Yi Chen - Practising Rhythmanalysis

(anyone have recommendations around this?)
  • Streetlight
    There's surprisingly very little written about rhythm from a philosophical perspective - at least, as an explicit theme. One work I really like was Jessica Wiskus' The Rhythm of Thought: Art, Literature, and Music after Merleau-Ponty. Although it's strictly speaking a work on M-P, it stands on its own as a great meditation on rhythm in general.
  • Heracloitus
    Thanks!
    You are correct, there is not much around this topic. I found this set of podcasts though:

http://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/rhythmanalysis/seminar/

"The seminar series comprised six sessions exploring various approaches to time and rhythm as those found in the work of key critical theorists, such as Gilles Deleuze, Henri Lefebvre, Rudolf Laban, Roland Barthes, Henri Meschonnic, Emile Benveniste, Gaston Bachelard and others."
  • Streetlight
    Stanley Cavell - Conditions Handsome and Unhandsome
    Sara Ellenbogen - Wittgenstein's Account of Truth
    Peter Winch - The Idea of a Social Science and Its Relation to Philosophy

Oh, this reminds me! Eleni Ikoniadou, who presents the sixth seminar in your link, also has an OK book on rhythm, The Rhythmic Event, which takes a look at alot of sound art through the lens of rhythm, and is pretty useful and well written.
  • Baden
    Mark Fisher - The Weird and the Eerie

So good 2.
  • I like sushi
    At the moment focusing attention on three books in combination:

- Logical Investigations, Husserl
    - Naming and Necessity, Kripke
    - Phenomenology of Spirit, Hegel

Up to now, Husserl is good (but vague as usual), Kripke is a puzzle because early doors seems to have overextended the term ‘truth’ ... but I imagine a little more reading will clear this up. Hegel? Still making my way through the preface and intro.
  • Streetlight
    G. E. M. Anscombe - Intention

Maybe the last of my Wittgenstein adjacent books for a while, depending.
  • Maw
    The Prince by Machiavelli
  • Juliet
    Aristotle - Poetics and Rhetoric
    Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, John Jay - The Federalist
    David P. Barash - Approaches to Peace - A Reader in Peace Studies
    Karl Marx - Capital Vol. 1
  • BC
    The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends Who Shaped An Age by Leo Damrosch
    The Darkening Age: The Christian Destruction of the Classical World by Catherine Nixey (Christian Jihadists attacked the Roman Temples at Palmyra 1700 years ago, pretty much like their Moslem successors did a few years back)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons, A Novel by Tom Wolfe (too long, but pretty good)
  • Streetlight
    Hanna Pitkin - Wittgenstein and Justice: On the Significance of Ludwig Wittgenstwin for Social and Political Thought

Oops. One more Witty related thing.
  • Amity
    Currently not reading.
    Too many books started and not finished.

However last week caught a Goethe at Lake Garda. The name of a speed ferry. Not quite how Goethe was blown to Malcesine. And the storm he created whilst drawing the castle there, well...
    Quite the 007 drama with a twist. *
    I read his 'ItalianJourney' and a few of his stories many years ago. Quite the inspiration. For many.

To refresh my memory on philosophical influence, I read:
    https://www.iep.utm.edu/goethe/#H6
    Extract:

' Finally, Wittgenstein’s (1889-1951) claim that things which cannot be put into propositional form might nevertheless be shown bears a family resemblance to Goethe’s formulation of the daimonisch. But where Wittgenstein removes the proverbial ladder on which he ascends to his intuitions about the relation between logic and the world, thereby reducing what cannot be bound by the rules of logic as nonsensical, Goethe believed he could communicate what were admittedly ineffable Urphänomene in a non-propositional way, through the feelings evoked by drama.

There is, moreover, a distinct similarity in Goethe’s and Wittgenstein’s views on the proper task of philosophy. Its aim, for both, can never be accomplished, once and for all, by means of ‘the right argument’. Argumentation, explanation, and demonstration only go so far in their attempt to unravel the mysteries of the world. “Philosophy simply puts everything before us; it fails to deduce anything,” (Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, 126).

Philosophy’s role in our life should guide us to be reflective people, ever ready to critique inherited dogmas, and always ready to revise our hypotheses in light of new observations. Goethe, through his ceaseless energy, limitless fascination with the world as it was presented to him, and his perpetual willingness to test his convictions against new evidence, carries a timeless appeal to philosophers, not because he demonstrated or explained what it meant to live philosophically, but because, through the example of the course of his life, he showed it.'

Given Goethe's influence and his 'timeless appeal', it is surprising that he is not given more attention.
    I now better understand the appeal of Wittgenstein if he follows Goethe in agreeing the role of philosophy in our lives.

* Malcesine castle now a major tourist attraction where people can read a bit about Goethe.
    Or get married...
  • Amity
    Oops. One more Witty related thing.StreetlightX

Hah. You just can't help yourself :wink:
  • Amity
    Following this discussion:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/4326/death-of-mary-midgley

Have downloaded a free kindle version of Mary Midgley's 'The Myths We Live By'.
    Might even read it...
  • Maw
    Grundrisse by Marx
    Prison Notebooks by Antonio Gramsci
  • Baden
    The Atrocity Exhibition - J.G Ballard
    (Particularly funny chapters: "Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan" and "The Assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy Considered as a Downhill Motor Race.")
    K-Punk: The Collected and Unpublished Writings of Mark Fisher - Mark Fisher
  • T Clark
    A bunch of really crappy fantasy and military science fiction available on Amazon Kindle Unlimited. Why do the fantasies always seem to involve harems of elves and vampires?
  • Streetlight
    John Sellars - Stoicism
    Carlo Rovelli - The Order of Time

Rovelli is the physicist humans need right now.
  • Patulia
    Just finished reading "Le Père Goriot" by Balzac and currently reading a book on Darwin and Darwinism. Started but not finished yet (but plan to finish soon): Thus spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche and The Republic, Plato.
  • fdrake
    Carlo Rovelli - The Order of TimeStreetlightX

I'll have this book soon. Will make a thread of it once I've finished reading.
  • Streetlight
    He writes like an Italian, which is always a good thing. Also the whole book is so... Deleuzian.
  • fdrake
    Also the whole book is so... DeleuzianStreetlightX

I love that he just gets to work on the issues, I read "Brief Lessons" a couple of months ago and it wasted absolutely no time.
  • Maw
    The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon by Marx
    Theses on Feuerbach by Marx
    The Limits of Capital by David Harvey

Yes, I love MARX

M - Marx
    A - Always
    R - Right
    X - xoxo
  • Streetlight
    lmao.

Piotrek Świątkowski - Deleuze and Desire: Analysis of "The Logic of Sense"
    Gilles Deleuze - The Logic of Sense

Prep for a seminar on the LoS next week :D
  • Streetlight
    Natasha Lennard - Being Numerous: Essays on Non-Fascist Life
    Eleanor Kaufman - Deleuze, The Dark Precursor: Dialectic, Structure, Being
  • luckswallowsall
    Ethics and the A Priori: Selected Essays on Moral Psychology and Meta-Ethics by the Australian Philosopher Michael Andrew Smith
  • Streetlight
    Andrew Culp - Dark Deleuze (meh)
    Jane R. Goodall - The Politics of the Common Good: Dispossession in Australia
    Slavoj Zizek - Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences
  • Baden
    Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and ConsequencesStreetlightX

Hadn't heard of that one. Any good?
  • Streetlight
    Hadn't heard of that one. Any good?Baden

It's good once you realise that it's like a 40 page essay on Deleuze and then the rest is cultural critique where Deleuze barely figures. The Deleuze stuff is - expectedly for Zizek - incredibly unorthodox (its almost written in a way to make orthodox Deleuzians mad), and worth reading precisely for that.
  • Alan
    A history of the theories of aether and electricity - Sir.Edmund Whittaker
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.