• Geo
    What the population in Europe would be now and how life would be if Columbus had not started mass Immigration?

uploads%2F700240875-1496333907991-Statue_Liberty_Immigrants_drawing_1887_dbloc_adj.gif
  • Pattern-chaser
    Colombus started mass immigration into Europe?
  • Geo
    From Europe
  • Pattern-chaser
    Ah! Emigration. :up:
  • BC
    Can we blame Columbus for mass emigration? He accidentally brought the existence of the Western Hemisphere to the attention of Europeans, but it doesn't seem to me that mass emigration began in his lifetime. His, and the subsequent efforts of various explorers, immigrants, conquerors, etc. advertently and inadvertently brought about plenty of changes to the Western Hemisphere.
  • I like sushi
    Interesting question! My knowledge of the history isn’t great. Would Europe be more populous today? Would other colonies have flourished more?
  • ssu
    Likely higher. And likely there would have been more povetry across the continent especially in the 19th and early 20th Century.

Just look at the place where there wasn't such mass emigration: India and China. They didn't have this kind of mass movement, at least back then. European emigration went to basically to (North and South) America, South Africa and Australia.

270px-European_Ancestry_Large.svg.png
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Why would anyone want to go to America. It is falling fast into a tyrannical oblivion. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

European history is so deep, you can, at best, consider emigration but a minor factor in any current predicament you might be alluding to in Europe.
  • I like sushi
    I do find it interesting to think what would’ve happened if we left the americas alone completely - observed from a distance rather than interfere, much like with remote tribes today.

Perhaps it would be around now when the native americans started to explore the globe and land on our shores?

Africa would likely be moe developed too and I also imagine Australia would have a higher population. If the World Wars had taken place too then Germany would’ve won the second one for sure and Europe would probably have been quite different and who knows the effect the ensuing conflict between Russia and Germany would’ve panned out? Likely with a couple of bombs dropped. Not to mention the reach of Japan and how they’d have held onto China and spread a culture of extremism typical to their heritage.

No doubt countless fictions have been written along these lines. I love a good “what if?” :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.