• Ilya B Shambat
    In Australia, where I presently live, the biggest problem is how men treat women. There are many good things about Australia, but this is a national disgrace. The Australian men have an international reputation for abusive treatment of women; and that makes Australian men look like creeps.

Why is this so? Most likely because the first white people in Australia were violent criminals, and violent criminals aren't known for being gentlemen. And what Australian men need to be told is this:

Do you really want violent criminals telling you what it means to be a man? Do you really want violent criminals shaping your way of life? Do you really believe that violent criminals deserve to define your country and speak for you?

I have of course been saying just that. And – surprise surprise – there are any number of Australian men howling for my blood and that of the Australian woman who married me.
    I want to change the behavior of Australian men. I want to teach them a better way to have man-woman relationships. Since my daughter is growing up here, I owe it to her as much as I owe it to any number of good Australian women I have known.

Particularly, I want them to reduce in their culture the influence of violent criminals and influence it toward better behavior and better values.

Well what about your home country – Russia? I militantly rejected the “traditional” Russian brutality and misogyny ever since I was a little child. Instead I took after the better Russian influences – the poets, writers and intellectuals who also fought this “tradition.” I have nothing to do with the barbaric behavior of “traditional” Russian men; I have fought it. And I am now fighting similar behavior by many men in Australia.

Nor am I responsible for American “political correctness.” I likewise fought it ever since I knew what it was. The women I do respect – smart, strong, successful women both in Russia and in America – have all rejected “political correctness” and said that feminism in America has gone too far.

Whereas in Australia, it has not gone far enough, and we see a culture of horrible abuse of women.

I do not only preach these better ways. I also practice them. When my former wife left me to be with another man, I did not threaten to kill her, nor did I try to take away my daughter. Instead I have maintained a good relationship with her. And now my daughter benefits from the attention of two loving parents.

Australian men think that they have guts; and many do. They need to have the guts to undo wrong influences in their culture. They need to have the guts to break from the habits of violent criminals who have been formative to their culture and cultivate wiser ways. They need to have the guts to reject the “tradition” of violent criminals. And they need to have the guts to stand strong in face of people whose attitudes have been shaped by violent criminals and affirm and practice gentlemanly behavior.

This will solve the biggest thing that is wrong with Australia – which country, in other respects, is one of the best places in the world. It will improve the lot of Australian women, and it will improve the character of Australian men. It will make Australian men look better in the eyes of the world and earn international respect. It will create better family existence for their children. And it will allow the people of Australia to break free from the ways of violent criminals and create a wiser and nobler culture.
  • Shawn
    And it will allow the people of Australia to break free from the ways of violent criminals and create a wiser and nobler culture.Ilya B Shambat

So, is it violent criminals we're stereotyping or the vast majority of Australian men. This thread is going to blow up...
  • Artemis
    This thread is going to blow up...Wallows

Crickets....

Lol, JK. I'm getting my popcorn ready on the off-chance that forum members aren't tired of this conversation yet.
  • Shawn
    Crickets....

Lol, JK. I'm getting my popcorn ready on the off-chance that forum members aren't tired of this conversation yet.
    NKBJ

I mean, you'd think that most men were violent criminals in Australia or that the police are all eating donuts and stuff and sleeping on the job to let these rapists get away, whom then compose the vast majority of men, who are rapists, who get away like ya feel me? I don't even know how to engage with such stuff so I'll butt out.
  • I like sushi
    Do you have any actual evidence to back up this claim? I assume you so it would be helpful if you provided them in the OP.
  • BC
    I don't know, Ilya; do you some screws loose?

Look: About those criminals who founded Australia: "Between 1788 and 1868, about 162,000 convicts were transported from Britain to various penal colonies in Australia. The British Government began transporting convicts overseas to American colonies in the early 17th century."

The 17th-19th century British were not averse to using capitol punishment for crimes (like stealing) which they thought deserved death. If one could get hanged for stealing bread, then there probably weren't a lot of violent felons left to deport to Australia. So, who were they deporting to America and Australia?

They were mostly deporting poor people, whom they classified as white trash, deplorables (term from Hilary Clinton's campaign), riff raff, useless, and so forth. The ruling-class Brits hated the poor. Poverty was criminalized. Criminals were deported.

Why is this so? Most likely because the first white people in Australia were violent criminals, and violent criminals aren't known for being gentlemen. And what Australian men need to be told is this:Ilya B Shambat

Most likely you are out in left field on the topic. Are you supposing that in the intervening centuries, the poor people who were used to stock the future working class of Australia did not change at all from their uncouth ancestors? Or maybe you don't like the Working Class either?

there are any number of Australian men howling for my blood and that of the Australian woman who married me.Ilya B Shambat

This sounds more like an exaggerated self-aggrandizing persecution complex than anything else. How close on your trail is the mob that wants to lynch you?

In Australia, where I presently live, the biggest problem is how men treat women. There are many good things about Australia, but this is a national disgrace. The Australian men have an international reputation for abusive treatment of women; and that makes Australian men look like creeps.Ilya B Shambat

I always thought Australian guys looked hot, rather than looking like creeps, but that was probably a small sample I was looking at. Is it really the case that male-female interaction is the worst problem Australia faces?

Are Australian men worse really worse than African men, North American men, European men, South American men, Asian men, Arab men, Pakistani men, etc.?

When my former wife left me to be with another man, I did not threaten to kill herIlya B Shambat

That's good. It's a positive sign.

which country, in other respects, is one of the best places in the worldIlya B Shambat

If it is one of the best places in the world, in other respects, then I would have to assume that women are receiving less than than the usual and customary level of abuse.
  • Jamal
    In Australia, where I presently live, the biggest problem is how men treat women. There are many good things about Australia, but this is a national disgrace. The Australian men have an international reputation for abusive treatment of women; and that makes Australian men look like creeps.

Why is this so? Most likely because the first white people in Australia were violent criminals [...]
    Ilya B Shambat

Even if it were true that the early European settlers were (mostly?) violent criminals, I can't see how that would account for the behaviour of today's Australian men. But in fact, most of the convicts were sent to Australia not for violent crimes but for petty crimes, born out of poverty.
  • Jamal
    They were mostly deporting poor people, whom they classified as white trash, deplorables (term from Hilary Clinton's campaign), riff raff, useless, and so forth. The ruling-class Brits hated the poor. Poverty was criminalized. Criminals were deported.Bitter Crank

Yep. Incidentally, this was a time when the concept of race was quite different from how it is now. It wasn't about colour, or wasn't only about colour: the poor were seen by many in the higher classes as being an inferior race, social classes being regarded as reflecting innate differences.

Not especially relevant to this discussion, but relevant to modern discussions about race.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.