• Kani
    All thinkers have written down their words in books and articles and the talks they gave were sometimes transcribed. But is there a resource that has collected all what is left of their works in a complete collection? I mean the works of the most well known thinkers from Aristotle to Newton and from Voltaire to Locke. How could one find the whole legacy of these individuals?
  • Michael
    Project Gutenberg and Wikisource are probably the closest things we have to that.
  • Marcus de Brun
    You will never read it all, and if you havent read much then:

The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant, is a gentle read written by the last American gentleman.

If you're lazy there is also an audio book of the same, read by Grover ?Gardner, which is a really nice listen.

M
  • Nicholas
    Not sure if this old Harvard Classics series is still in print, but it is online:

http://www.harvardclassics365.com/p/free.html
  • John Doe
    As long as this thread is bumped, I wonder if anyone has any insight into academically oriented websites that streamline the process of ordering the standardized editions of an author's collected works for the purposes of writing an article. Ideally a place where you could order an entire Gesamtausgabe at a discount rate in a straightforward way even if you're someone who is still in the process of familiarizing themselves with the thinker and a bit daft about the nuances of different editions.
  • Nicholas

This is only part of the Cambridge pubs. site, there may be other parts or other academic pubs. that will address your interests:

https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/collections/philosophers/titles
  • John Doe
    Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. All I can really see from scrolling around that link is standard Cambridge UP books at exorbitant prices. Am I perhaps missing something or are you simply recommending Cambridge UP in a very general sense?
  • Nicholas
    General sense, although they offer 20% off on this page.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.