• Mongrel
    a0pueuvr34vij41f.jpg
    I'm not sure why Vin Diesel was trying to kill me.
  • Cavacava
    You are probably too fast for him Mongrel.

I downloaded the prisma app but I have not tried it. I do a lot with photographs for biz, I have to manipulate them to some extent, its fun.

I am going to do some Plein Air with 37 other painters this Saturday afternoon weather permitting. I am excited because it is at Society of the 4 Arts on Palm Beach Island. Great place, art, sculpture, plays, library....several buildings spread out over several acres going down to the Inter coastal. Really very pretty area.

Four-Arts-King-Library_Robert-Stevens_72.jpg

I have visited it several times and tried to paint aspects of it along the Lake Trail that goes part-way around the Island. There is a wish fountain that faces the inter-coastal by Noguchi

arts-29-(2)_category.gif

My rendition of this.
    tumblr_od3dnyuw8g1rkbhqwo1_1280.jpg

It is very neat to see whatever one else is doing, so if the rain gives a break, I'll get to paint with some very talented people.
  • Punshhh
    This is a painting I finished the other day. I can't get the image to show up in the post yet.

Ahha! See following post.
  • Mongrel
    s962u8uh6k67r06r.jpg
    I didn't escape but I have big plans for my reincarnation.

Prisma is fun. It's not Photoshop... But if you take a photo of a painting, it becomes bunches of paintings.
  • Mongrel
    Cool... where is that?
  • Punshhh
    It's on the Norfolk broads, in the UK. I paint local landscapes of East Anglia, there is a strong tradition and interest in the landscape and art of this region.
  • shmik
    A bookshelf for my car.

"That is the least practical thing I've ever seen" - one of my mates.

hxhti6xqjh7q5s5r.jpg
  • Janus
    hh0si9rpz8x11evx.jpg
    1l527etitv3grwca.jpg
    1b7e2khfyggmft1t.jpg
    y9x22fxr4v7pgfmq.jpg
    1ceh0fi5v1dt8x0j.jpg
    A few more paintings.
  • Cavacava
    Nice...I especially like Semiosis 1 and Topos 2
  • Hoo
    I liked Topos the best. Very nice.
  • Punshhh
    Semiosis2, Topos2, I like the sense of depth, Inspired
  • Punshhh
    The mirage at Holkam beach Norfolk UK
    image.jpg
  • Punshhh
    Close up.
    image.jpg
  • Hoo

This one too.
  • Janus
    Looks great, Punshhh, like your other lakescape; but I do think you need a better photographer or camera or to use a program like Photoshop to crop the images at least, to do them justice.
  • Janus

Seems to be much of an extra dimension that really works to your images when you include people Cavacava. Individually they work for me sometimes, but I can never seem to put them together (environments and people that is).
  • Janus

These are mysteriously intriguing, Mongrel; are they self-portraits? What media are you using?
  • Punshhh
    Nice work there. Yes my photography was a bit spontaneous, also I didn't crop them to show that they are canvases. The wide landscape is supposed to be unframed which is popular these days.
    Once I have a body of work sufficient and which I judge are suitable, I will have them printed in Giclee, but I mainly sell them as unframed canvases at the moment. They are quite popular.
  • Janus

I have never tried to sell my work. When you say you will have them printed, do you mean in order to sell as prints? You say your work is popular, and i can see why it would be, but have you had good success selling them for reasonable money (by "reasonable", I mean to cover your time in producing them). I hope you don't mind me asking these questions. I am hoping to get inspiration and learn about ways and means of selling my own work; perhaps then I could give up my contracting business which involves designing and building gardens for people. This sounds like a good job to be sure and it pays well and does have its creative satisfactions, but I have been doing it too long now (about 40 years) and the work is very physically demanding (which obviously doesn't get any easier as the years roll by).
  • Punshhh
    Yes they sell for reasonable money, the following painting took about 4 hrs and sold for £200 the other day, to a friend, if I had put it in a gallery I might have asked for £300 or £400 and they would add commission of 20%.for example.
    image.jpg
    The difficulty is in finding your market.
    You either have to generate followers yourself or attempt to fit in to a tradition from which a wider audience will purchase. For example in my case, there is a tradition of landscapes in East Anglia where I live. With many galleries, many buyers, and tourists and holiday makers, who have followed and developed an appreciation of the local styles and tradition. If you were to visit just about any house around here you would find original works from this tradition on the wall, with much appreciation. You just tap into that market.

Another route is through art competitions, local art schools, local galleries. These routes are not easy with mixed success. Sometimes something controversial or striking can get local media attention, but again difficult.

Ideally you would just want to produce paintings that people want to buy at first sight, but this requires an exceptional talent, or something very unusual.

Are there any artistic traditions in your area?
  • Cavacava

John I have always drawn, painting only last 3/4 yrs. Painting is adding a new dimension for me.

Its funny I hate games that require stop watches, like speed chess. I think chess should be played with a friend some beer and a good whiskey. What surprised the hell out of me took place on a trip to Barcelona a couple of years ago. I went to a timed Figure Drawing session, the process seduced me. Now I feel guilty when I don't go onto You Tube and catch a Croquis Cafe.

Here is a of work from a my visit to Massachusetts, in New England. My brother, he lives in the Groton area, which in US terms is old, settled around 1655. Great views and fantastic weather, a little early foliage.

tumblr_oe0pbcPpsH1rkbhqwo1_1280.jpg
  • BC
    A likely story...

tumblr_oalum54H4l1uv7ybuo5_250.jpg
  • Janus
    Are there any artistic traditions in your area?Punshhh

Another nice work! Thanks for you frank answers Punshhh; I appreciate it. Unfortunately the genres in my area are not exactly genres that my work (for the most part) fits into.
  • Janus

I really like your fresh sense of colour Cavacava.
  • Punshhh
    I really like your abstract and impressionist works, Archie, semiosis and topos. I think you've got something there. I must say, I was struck with the way in which they suggested to me an aboriginal theme, could be a direction perhaps.

Oh I forget to answer your question about prints. If you have a painting that is good enough or is suitable for becoming a print this increases the income from one painting, also some people prefer a print, sometimes due to cost. The standard printing technique for professional artists is Giclee printing. This uses a high resolution scan, or photograph and real paint inks to produce a print which can look as good as the original, without the same surface texture. If I have a good painting I would look to have the software of the image produced which costs around £50, then I can have copies printed on demand, between £10 and £30 each. There are cheaper printing techniques, which are appropriate on ocassion.

If I may ask, which region of Australia are you in?
  • Mongrel
    These are mysteriously intriguing, Mongrel; are they self-portraits? What media are you using?John

I was trying out a some new magic markers. The coloring was digital.. from an app called Prisma.

Cool landscapes from . I've never been able to do much with landscapes. I'm more of a portrait person.

o8cs3gp16lqzb0yf.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet