• Mongrel
    As I remember Don Juan once saying to Carlos Castaneda about what it is to be a warrior (very roughly paraphrased);
    "He could be staring at Satan himself, and no one would ever know."
    John

Ah. Poker face.
  • Punshhh
    Yes, Paul Klee was a big influence at one point, this was before I had learnt to paint. I wasn't going to let that hold me back from being creative. I like those landscapes (Moth creek, Govetts leap), I am beginning to see an Australian style, perhaps its due to the bright light.
  • Punshhh
    My first thought was that Veritas represented fire, which represented pain.
  • Janus

I'm not sure; I've never seen it as far as I can recall.
  • Cavacava

I like your Mycellium, but mycellium are static and your work seems to me more fluid, dynamic. Like a river flowing over rocks, white waters splashing and turning into calmer blues. Joyful, looks like it could have been fun to paint.
  • Janus

It's interesting you should say that, because there is an older painting underneath, which is precisely of complex streams of water flowing over rocks, that didn't work. So I painted over it. Not much of it still shows, though.
    The title is a reference to Terence McKenna's wacky idea that mycellium (at least in the mycellium of Psilocybe (and other hallucinogenic genera) mushrooms) is an active neural net hosting an intelligence that spans the globe.

Also, the experience of Psilocybe dreaming is anything but static! ;)
  • Punshhh
    Also, the experience of Psilocybe dreaming is anything but static! ;)

I was going to say something along those lines, but thought it was to hedonistic for such a polite audience.
  • Janus

Hmmm, I don't know that I'd class the psilocybe experience as hedonistic; for me it always involved at least as much suffering as joy.
  • Punshhh
    Yes I think it depends on your personality type. I always had very positive results, except for a few brief episodes of paranoia, cased by external circumstances causing my body to want react defensively, or evasively. Well into the hedonistic world in my experience though.
  • Cavacava
    I like PBRs and I am always trying to think about something else to paint. So when I saw the Pabst contest, I thought sure, it might be fun to do something a little different. Some really creative ideas posted on their web site. I might try to do this again prior to entry, try to give it a little more finished look.

http://pabstblueribbon.com/art/

tumblr_oefwxtjPEQ1rkbhqwo1_1280.jpg
  • Janus

Yes, when it's good, it's certainly good. A healthy spiritual 'hedonism', free from anxious desire, though, not a debased one, wouldn't you say?
  • Punshhh
    Yes, not debased. I wasn't thinking of the less than constructive tendencies in hedonism, which can be real for many people. For me, the experience occurred in the light of my already being a practitioner in a spiritual life. I do remember an occasion when amongst a party of friends, I found myself sitting peacefully meditating, while the others were wildly bouncing off the walls listening to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon at full volume. They couldn't understand why I didn't get swept up in the mania. But I had learnt how to harness the effect of the drug in my meditation practice, or something.
  • Janus
    Been photographing drawings and paintings today, so here's a couple of each. A portrait of a friend, and one of myself, and a couple other works.

6wmw28odp8m18xha.jpg
    sifmg38eug3pg4p5.jpg
    8872noctq7bkcaq5.jpg
    koci21qzs7ik0ds1.jpg
  • Punshhh
    I was a cartoonist for a couple of years about 2003/4, I was so incensed by Blair and Bush going into Iraq etc that I turned to satire. These are a couple I fished out the other day, the G8 conference failing to come to any agreement over climate change and Gordon Brown floundering around like Tommy Cooper(the comedian), Blair is represented by the cobra.

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg
  • Janus

That's a pretty cool cartoon of Gordon!
  • Punshhh
    Thanks, I will find one of Tony Blair. I like your portraits, they have a solidity and depth about them.
  • Mongrel
    Cool stuff, guys!
  • Baden

Good stuff John :)

Love those cartoons. I too was incensed by the Iraq war, but don't have something so bitingly creative to show for it. 8-) (I have done some written satire, but directed against other targets).
  • Punshhh
    A few more cartoons, all about Blair, in the first one he is the glove puppet.
    IMG_6117.jpg
    IMG_6118.jpg
    IMG_6113.jpg
  • Cavacava
    NIce work Punshhh!

I like this better than my 1st Pabst.

tumblr_of60t0JFKb1rkbhqwo1_1280.jpg
  • Janus

Cool cartoons Punshhh, and I agree that one is better Cavacava (Y)
  • Punshhh
    Just finished, looking inland from Aldeburgh beach.
    IMG_6157.jpg
  • Cavacava
    I really like your sky!
  • Wosret
    Stormy wind bellows high
    Frequent tracker numb and low
    Painted upon an artificial sky
    Botched in rage with lines of mellow

Script lit. eyes sit, haze hits

Flounder within the murky water
    gulp gas, and sneeze oil
    Monstrous nightmare daughter
    exhale life and endless toil

Closed now, for thou, I vow.

Time ends again and again
    It's mourned eternally
    Sleeping yesterday and dreaming tomorrow
    Wrapped up, warm, and maternally
    Crying with the tears we borrow.
  • Mongrel
    I can see myself sitting in the middle of the island. Is this going to be a painting?
  • Janus

Nice :) . I have been thinking about making a painting from this.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment