• BrianW
    It's very obvious to most people that the phrase 'time is money' means that time is valuable or significant. But how many of us know how much time we've had and how much we could have? And how prepared can we be if we're to spend it wisely?
    We talk about billionaires like they're the 10th wonder of the world (after sliced bread and spread) but is it possible that there's a level of equality underlying the economics of our lives which we seem to constantly ignore considering how obvious it is? I mean time.
    We marvel at a billion in cash, but what about a billion in time? What is a billion seconds? What is its value to you? What/How will you be one billion seconds from now?

1,000,000,000s = 31 Years, 251 Days, 7 Hours, 46 Minutes, 40 Seconds.
    2,000,000,000s = 63 Years, 137 Days, 9 Hours, 33 Minutes, 20 Seconds.
    3,000,000,000s = 95 Years, 23 Days, 11 Hours, 20 Minutes.

Perhaps, there may be a few more billionaires than we thought. (Pls share your 'billion-dollar' thoughts.)
  • BC
    "Time is money" speaks of the urgency of crass money-making. Better that we eschew that sort of urgency and "take our time".

For one thing, the existential value of our time varies. When all is well and there is no crises to spur us, time is plentiful and we needn't hoard it. When the house catches on fire, though, every second is terribly important. The value of time varies with age, health, and knowledge of one's ultimate doom (inevitable death).

something like that...
  • BrianW

I get how circumstances can direct our perception of time, but I would also like to know what measures we can take to ensure that we provide as much utility as we can through the various stages of our lives.

So, my question is, "you have your one billion seconds, do you go investing where every other 'time-billionaire' does thus maintaining the overall status quo? Or do you realise the deficiency and work towards alleviating it. Which is more useful to you personally, spending the billions for personal gain? or for the sake of the greater collective even at your expense?

(I was watching Ninja Assassins and there's a quote by the master (antagonist), "your heart is weak because you betrayed your family for personal reasons" (I'm paraphrasing). Anyway, it got me thinking, isn't that something very common in our society today? - We don't take into account how much we have which is valuable to the society because we're too busy trying to get ours.)

After one billion seconds (or any other significant time frame), how much ability will you have acquired:

1. against the inertia of ignorance?
    2. towards self-motivated philanthropy?
    3. towards greater self-discipline (more conscious control of emotions, attitudes, thoughts)?
    4. towards greater understanding and appreciation of life?, etc, etc.
  • BC
    We don't take into account how much we have which is valuable to the society because we're too busy trying to get oursBrianW

That is, of course, the precise problem. And we don't sufficiently understand or maybe appreciate the contribution of the common good to our own good. Indeed, I think the common good is invisible in some very individualistic mind-sets.

1. against the inertia of ignorance?
    2. towards self-motivated philanthropy?
    3. towards greater self-discipline (more conscious control of emotions, attitudes, thoughts)?
    4. towards greater understanding and appreciation of life?, etc, etc.
    BrianW

Good list. I've engaged in life-long learning since college (50 years ago). I like to think that I've made some progress against ignorance and its inertia.
  • BrianW
    I think the common good is invisible in some very individualistic mind-sets.Bitter Crank

Exactly. So, I'm wondering how we can make our value to the common good be part of our common knowledge and not just something to agree on, but also to aspire to and actively participate in. How can we share the idea that we don't all have to be billionaires or celebrities or popular for our roles in the society to be of significance?

I feel like part of the solution is being consciously aware of the opportunities we have. For me it's time. Since I realised what a billion seconds mean I've had a constant awareness of the 'clock' ticking somewhere at the back of my mind. I don't mean in an ocd kind of way or a biological clock, but every once in a short while I'm reminded to direct my efforts towards others. I wonder if more people can embrace such a reality.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.