• Shawn
    I was wondering if we could bring back the Shoutbox to the main page as only for the Lounge area?

One of the best features of a forum is a lively shoutbox, and I do miss the activity we can find in the shoutbox.

Alternatively, if the shoutbox is to remain in the Lounge area, then can we maybe have a philosophical chatroom or thread where we can have ideas presented and provide some constructive criticism about?
    This is partly inspired by my draft thread and the recent changes introduced about moving all lounge topics to a designated area.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I was wondering if we could bring back the Shoutbox to the main page as only for the Lounge area?

One of the best features of a forum is a lively shoutbox, and I do miss the activity we can find in the shoutbox.
    Posty McPostface

I agree 1000%. Thank you for asking @Posty McPostface
  • Shawn
    Thank you for asking Posty McPostfaceArguingWAristotleTiff

Yeah, no problem. :grimace:
  • Shawn
    Seems like nobody cares or wouldn't mind.

So, Shoutbox on the front page, yes, no, maybe?
  • Baden
    One of the best features of a forum is a lively shoutbox, and I do miss the activity we can find in the shoutbox.Posty McPostface

Let's all post there more then. Then problem solved, no?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Let's all post there more then. Then problem solved, no?Baden

Haven't we given it a fair shake?
  • Baden

What I mean is, we all know where it is (especially the regulars), so the direct problem is not the location as such. It's that we couldn't be bothered posting there. Which is interesting in itself. It's sort of like a negative feedback bandwagon loop thingie rather than anything rational stopping us.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    What I mean is, we all know where it is (especially the regulars), so the direct problem is not the location as such. It's that we couldn't be bothered posting there. Which is interesting in itself. It's sort of like a negative feedback bandwagon loop thingie rather than anything rational stopping us.Baden
    I respectfully disagree. I think location makes the difference, new members do not know about it unless they are called onto one of the Lounge threads. I can tell you it makes a difference in trying to get to know other members on a friendly basis and that is the community feel that is so very important in weaving together a community.
    Try to be mindful of the conclusions you are drawing because I don't believe that people are "bothered" with posting in the Shoutbox but rather it was a place of common gathering.
  • Michael
    My counter proposal is to remove the shoutbox entirely.
  • Baden
    . I think location makes the difference, new members do not know about it unless they are called onto one of the Lounge threads.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Everyone gets a notification now when they start.

Try to be mindful of the conclusions you are drawing because I don't believe that people are "bothered" with posting in the Shoutbox but rather it was a place of common gathering.ArguingWAristotleTiff

I think you misunderstand the phrase. Anyway, I'm trying to do my bit to drum up morale. :eyes:
  • Baden
    I'm for more posting in the Shoutbox, but I'm not convinced as yet there is a mass movement to reverse the earlier decision. It seems hard to get a balance between too dominant and too quiet. We've gone from a page or two a day to a post or two a day. But again, there is no reason for that apart from out of sight out of mind.
  • Baden

My counter counter proposal is to confine you to posting in the Shoutbox.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the shoutbox is generally full of posts with low quality philosophical content, and if left on the front page will attract new members with a taste for such.
  • Sir2u
    It's a SHOUTBOX, if it had ANY philosophical content in it it was probably placed there by mistake. :lol:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I miss the community feel and the freedom to talk casually to others. Call me silly but I appreciate that human connection.
  • Shawn
    I miss the community feel and the freedom to talk casually to others. Call me silly but I appreciate that human connection.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Yes, and people missed my birthday party in the shoutbox. How rude. More seriously, I think it's tilting at windmills at this point, so I digress.
  • Baden
    I miss the community feel and the freedom to talk casually to others. Call me silly but I appreciate that human connection.ArguingWAristotleTiff

You still have that, Tiff. No-one is stopping you using the Shoutbox.
  • Hanover
    I'd prefer that instead of it showing the most recent posts on the opening screen, that it open to the catagories page with the most recent thread topics listed under each catagory.

That reminds me of something.
  • Baden

I'd prefer wings, so I could fly like a bird.
  • frank
    I'd prefer wings, so I could fly like a bird.Baden

Sign me up for a subscription!
  • Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPQ_M3yJTA
  • Baden

Exactly! :sparkle:
  • frank
    I wrote in the shoutbox. Yay!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    That reminds me of something.Hanover

What?
  • Hanover

I'm sensing the need for a druthers thread.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm sensing the need for a druthers thread.Hanover
    Hanover, never listen to anyone who tries to tell you that you are anything less than sensitive. :flower:
  • Changeling
    About The Shoutbox. is the new The Shoutbox
  • Baden

@Posty McPostface's evil plan has been laid bare. I'm impressed. I bet Tiff put him up to it.
  • Shawn

The cat is out of the bag. I've been uncovered.

*hides*
  • S
    That reminds me of something.Hanover

A dead horse being beaten?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.