• Noble Dust

(Y) your enthusiasm for beauty is inspiring.
  • Noble Dust
    Well, I would have to disagree with calling Blade Runner 2049 a cash cow. The director, Denis Villeneuve, made it abundantly clear that the movie wasn't made to make money. Besides the original Blade Runner was a box office flop too. Many people were spellbound with the sequel, by which I mean that it was worthy of a follow up on the original. I know I loved it at least.Posty McPostface

Sure, the original was not a cash cow; but it turned into a cult classic. So, to make a sequel to a cult classic that is not based on any material from the author (vs. the original being based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), is clearly a cash-in on a cult classic; a cash cow. And sure, the director (not the writers, producers, or, most importantly, exec producers) said that it's not about the money; it probably wasn't about the money for him; he was probably thrilled to make the movie. That doesn't mean it wasn't a cash cow.

If you loved the movie, more power to you. Visually, and mood-wise (the soundtrack), I thought it was well done. But the plot was severely lacking. I didn't read it as a great film.
  • Noble Dust

Sometimes lunch chooses you...especially when you're a bird...
  • Shawn

Yeah, but let's be realistic, it was a Hollywood movie.
  • Noble Dust

Fair. But I've seen plenty of other Hollywood movies with better plots.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    v2?webp=true&sig=20ad85532991f15e1718192cb26f7405d7793e36b15ff4b9679b8e2f64c63a77

Just a personal portrait..
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    See how easy it is to figure out the gender of a member? :halo: By the way, I adore peach!
  • T Clark
    Just a personal portrait..CuddlyHedgehog

Torturing a hedgehog - I'm going to have to report you.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    what are you talking about? It’s me!
  • T Clark
    Well, since someone re-opened this thread, I get a chance to put something else in. I can't believe I forgot these first time around.

hv7s067vs5u634cn.jpg

de4ud9c4fqx330z9.jpg

Always rayon. Never cotton.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Rayon hangs so much better!
    I love the colors of the bottom shirt!
  • T Clark
    Rayon hangs so much better!
    I love the colors of the bottom shirt!
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

I don't want to shock you, but I am not a fashionable person. Aloha shirts are the one place I allow color into my wardrobe. I used to wear them a lot. Now, not so much.

Yes. I love the feel of rayon.
  • BC
    I don't want to shock you, but I am not a fashionable person.T Clark

Not to worry. Nobody who saw you in the aloha shirts thought that you were. Just joking, sarcastically, as is my wont.

Now, the second shirt reminds me of a popular style of wallpaper from the art nouveau / art deco period late 19th century, early 20th to the 1930s). The ground was black, and the figures were quite bright--think of things and colors that go into salad--carrot, red bell pepper, radicchio, radish, lettuce... Not that carrots would be the figure, necessarily. Or the figures were muted bright colors, like your rayon shirt.

It would be used in stair wells, bath rooms, hallways -- where it wouldn't overwhelm one.

Actually, I have had some shirts sort of like yours that I liked a lot. And I would definitely wear the rayon shirt. A guy at a party wearing a shirt very much like the rayon item said that it was his hot weather shirt, because he could sweat in it and it didn't show.

I like to coordinate color, like a bright red shirt, black pants, black shoes, and bright red socks -- but it doesn't add up to being fashionable. I like brightly colored clothing -- not all the time, just fairly often.

tumblr_p68fybo6PH1s4quuao4_r1_400.png
  • BC
    how terribly interestingCuddlyHedgehog

Touché.
  • T Clark
    Not to worry. Nobody who saw you in the aloha shirts thought that you were. Just joking, sarcastically, as is my wont.Bitter Crank

I'm shocked, shocked, that you would be sarcastic.
  • Ying
    "Et in Arcadia ego" by Poussin:
    1200px-Nicolas_Poussin_-_Et_in_Arcadia_ego_%28deuxi%C3%A8me_version%29.jpg

"Cardsharps" by Caravaggio:
    Caravaggio_%28Michelangelo_Merisi%29_-_The_Cardsharps_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

"Moses" by Michelangelo:
    Moses_Michaelangelo_September_2015-1.jpg

Ceiling by Salvador Dali, located in his museum. Not sure what it's called:
    salvador-dali-central-panel-wind-palace-ceiling.jpg
  • T Clark
    Mother Natures MoodsArguingWAristotleTiff

That's really amazing. I interpret it differently. She soothes us with the rainbow, then blasts us with the lightening!! Take that lowly human!! Or maybe it's just beautiful.
  • BC
    tumblr_p709oojSLd1s4quuao1_1280.png

Fort Peck Dam, picture taken by Margaret Bourke-White, 1936. MBW specialized in industrial photography and found great beauty in the built world.
  • BC
    Here is one of the most horrifying pictures, Margaret Bourke-White: Her sitting out on this Chrysler Bldg. gargoyle...ready to be blown off and plummet to the street far below...

305122_original.jpg
  • BC
    The George Washington Bridge -- under construction, I think... Margaret, again.

george-washington-bridge-by-margaret-bourke-white.jpeg?v=1482568661
  • T Clark
    Here is one of the most horrifying pictures, Margaret Bourke-White: Her sitting out on this Chrysler Bldg. gargoyle...ready to be blown off and plummet to the street far below...Bitter Crank

In my job as an engineer, I would be forced to bring her in off the eagle until she put on a harness and lanyard in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations.

One thing I got out of this discussion and the Beautiful Structures one is how much of what I think is beautiful is tied up in structures like these. How important it is for people to design and build beautiful buildings, bridges, dams.... They are so public and have the ability to shape how people see their physical and social worlds.
  • BC
    They are so public and have the ability to shape how people see their physical and social worlds.T Clark

Exactly. And the opposite is true too--neighborhoods of ticky-tacky dreck with too much traffic, dirt, and dilapidation, where decay is slithering in around the edges. Sinks. Places where one feels an urge to let loose a big berserker caterpillar to devastate block after block -- just chewing its way through the architectural manure pile.
  • Hanover
    I Googled "The most beautiful pictures in the world" (https://www.google.com/search?q=the+most+beautiful+pictures+in+the+world&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_lJOyyrPaAhVnQt8KHb1WDRwQsAQIJg&biw=1366&bih=651) just to put an end to this discussion. You can see the results here.

It appears that the common elements are: (1) nature, (2) vivid colors, especially greens and purples, and (3) geometric designs. The colors and shapes seem to suggest some divine purpose. That's my take. Anyway, my goal is to create an algorithm that can generate beautiful images so that we can once and for all mechanize creativity and eliminate the final vestiges of humanity.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment