• Wayfarer
    The differences between species are a matter for biology. The meaning of the word ‘ontology’ is ‘the nature or meaning of being’.

Materialists say that only matter is real. If emergent properties are dependent on matter then that remains materialist.
  • schopenhauer1
    Does it actually feel the same? And is there a balance of the two that feels even better?

You seem to be presuming your conclusions again. What you say does not tally with either psychological science or my own experience.

But perhaps you have proved the case for you?
    apokrisis

This was meant as metaphorical bookends to the extremes. It encompasses all viewpoints from one extreme to the other, not presenting a stark dichotomy.

I also think this emphasis on psychological science puts the cart before the horse. The person has to be born first. Someone chose to have the new person who then has to follow this treadmill of psychologically-defined regimen which in itself does not provide one path to some salvation- simply providing more things for people to do to fill their day (e.g. exercise, hobbies, flow activities, etc. etc.). This doesn't answer the existential riddle. Utilitarian calculus counting is not life's salvation to the problem of instrumental nature of existence. If anything, it enhances its banality in the very nature of its utilitarian counting. The philosophy of the proper, "well-adjusted" middle class gent.

Sounds a pretty minimal idea of a life to me.

You reduce living to some kind of consumptive activity. You seem to see no role for creation, challenge and variety.

So again you assume your conclusions by speaking of life in as meaningless a way as you can imagine. Rhetoric 101.
    apokrisis

Nay, it seems like you are accusing me of what I think you are proposing. This very utilitarian "science of happiness" is the epitome of the consumptive behavior. As long as we use words like "discovery", "over coming challenges" and "achievement" we can provide the ruse for the young folk that they have something they need to do, look forward, a reason why being matters. This distracts from the very philosophical grappling that takes place.

Utopia is already the wrong answer. Perhaps the dichotomies of heaven and hell, good and evil, just don't apply to nature. Your frame of reference is already wrong.apokrisis

That's not my frame of reference, those other other peoples. If you read carefully, I was saying I was questioning other people's use of these terms because indeed, these are non-existent, perhaps reified, unexamined terms.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.