• Justin1
    The thread on the Philosophy of Hope generated two perspectives on Hope:

• Hope Maximalism - which holds that Universal Perfection is realistically possible (ie has a reasonable chance of occuring).
    • Hope Minimalism - which isn't convinced that Universal Perfection is realistically possible

The aim of this thread is to defend the case that Universal Perfection is realistically possible. I contend that it is possible, based on the following premises:

1. Nature (space, matter, energy and consciousness) does not have a static essence and is in a continuous state of development.

2. Within nature there exists a universal cosmic subject. This is the position in contemporary philosophy known as Cosmopsychism.

3. The universal cosmic subject has a drive to move beyond itself to something better.

4. The universal cosmic subject influences the development of nature.

5. Due to 3 and 4, the universe is evolving towards a state of perfection.
  • bahman

What if the perfection is infinitum?
  • Rich
    3. The universal cosmic subject has a drive to move beyond itself to something better.Justin1

Nothing in my own observations would support such a notion. The universe is changing in all kinds of ways. Pollution has never been worse. All there is is universal experimentation and evolution. I hope it works out OK for the universal mind.
  • Justin1
    It may go on forever or it may not. Either way we won't be around to see so not much point in dwelling on it :)
  • Justin1
    I think the fine tuning of the universe for life is one thing whihc suggests that the universe is one thing whihc suggests the univerese is evolving to something better
  • TimeLine
    5. Due to 3 and 4, the universe is evolving towards a state of perfection.Justin1

What happens to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy?
  • Rich
    What happens to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy?TimeLine

I guess the verdict is still out. Mind/Life may violate it I guess and that would be that.
  • TimeLine
    I guess the verdict is still out. Mind/Life may violate it I guess and that would be that.Rich

Yeah, sorry buddy, you make no sense here.
  • Rich
    You know. The Mind. The force that figured out the concept which it calls the Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy. It's what asked the question to begin with.
  • TimeLine
    You know. The Mind. The force that figured out the concept which it calls the Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy. It's what asked the question to begin with.Rich

Are you saying that the mind violates the LoT and entropy?
  • Rich
    Are you saying that the mind violates the LoT and entropy?TimeLine

No it discovers new patterns and creates symbols to describe those patterns. Patterns change.
  • charleton
    a state of perfection.Justin1

define perfection, without using value judgements!
  • TimeLine
    What has that to do with your original dreamy point?
  • Rich
    What has that to do with your original dreamy point?TimeLine

The Mind may discover something new and thus the concept will change. Everything changes. It's only a "violation" if something is fixed.

https://phys.org/news/2016-10-quantum-violate-law-thermodynamics.html

Change is always a safe bet.
  • Wirius
    What is perfection? What is perfect for one individual would be hell for another. Example: Sports all day, all the time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.