• Noble Dust
    The discussion is about beautiful things. Please carry on.Baden

Oh really? >:O
  • Akanthinos
    Jeez, just make more job for him, will ya. :P

I find that animals hold the most beauty for me. Mostly mammals. The grace and strenght of movement exhibited when higher quadrupeds enter in motion is my personal definition of the sublime.

Siberian-husky.jpg

Caracl_%2801%29%2C_Paris%2C_d%C3%A9cembre_2013.jpg
  • Noble Dust
    Jeez, just make more job for him, will yaAkanthinos

For who?
  • Shawn
    One of the most beautiful things that I hold dear is Kubrick films.
  • T Clark
    I find that animals hold the most beauty for me. Mostly mammals. The grace and strenght of movement exhibited when higher quadrupeds enter in motion is my personal definition of the sublime.Akanthinos

I'm not really an animal person, but standing next to a large mammal, a horse or cow, and putting my hand on their flank. Feeling the warmth, muscles, size. Life. Like mine but separate and different. That is a feeling of beauty for me. It makes me feel a part of the world.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Akanthinos These are for you. This was my horse Dasher whom I loved dearly and broke my back with but he is living a great life in Northern Arizona. Dasher was a true athlete.
    1266134_632785720116420_1567739719_1o.jpg
    Amazing animals in their natural glory. We had just finished a work out and were doing exactly what every animal does after a good bath. They TOTAL it by rolling in sand, dust, dirt, whatever they can find.
    1956885_828578507203806_459855278_1o.jpg
    One more of Dasher because of the Beast he is and my youngest Indian who is now attending an Aeronautical University and kicking ass at it.
    1618260_805909666137357_41088348_o1.jpg
  • Hanover
    Dasher is a reindeer, not a horse. A good name for a horse would be Magic or Fred, although Fred is already taken as my dog's name. I'd name that horse Snowflake, Spot, or maybe Big Red. Those names make more sense than giving it a reindeer name.
  • Akanthinos
    These are for you. This was my horse Dasher whom I loved dearly and broke my back with but he is living a great life in Northern Arizona. Dasher was a true athlete.ArguingWAristotleTiff

He's glorious. I have to admit, horses are one of the "higher mammals" that leaves me a bit like a cold fish. They are absolutely beautiful beasts, but I can't be near one and not feel like he is one moment away from caving my skull in.

I guess I might have been on the receiving end of too many cavalry charges in my previous lifes.

Also, quite obviously : women-so-gorgeous-they-appear-almost-unreal.

stephanie-corneliussen-mercy-for-animals-annual-hidden-heroes-gala-in-los-angeles-09-23-2017-6.jpg

Kristin_Kreuk_%289340455709%29.jpg
  • mcdoodle
    One of the most beautiful things that I hold dear is Kubrick films.Posty McPostface

I think my present-day favourites in the movie genre are Haneke films. I recently saw 'Happy End' which naturally doesn't have such an eponymous finale. His movies do not follow the structure most Hollywood movies have, they unfold elegantly and at their own pace. Happy End closes on Jean-Louis Trintignant as a senile old man, which makes a rather beautiful arc in my mind, since the first French movie I remember loving was Un homme et une femme, starring Trintignant as a widowed young man. I saw it at the Academy 1 on Oxford Street in London in the mid-60's. (Both Happy End and Homme/Femme are unafraid of dealing with death, which is much on my mind lately owing to recent bereavements)

Perhaps this post is an oblique way of saying - sometimes life seems to show you, well me anyway, a beautiful shape all of its own, just for you/me - I hope this isn't cognitive distortion but an aesthetic sense :)
  • TimeLine
    Why just women and not men? I think women are beautiful, despite being a woman. Are you simply compelled instinctually? Funny that they happen to be celebrities. Nevertheless, I think TClark's daughter is very beautiful.

When you actually attempt to grow flowers from a seed or bulb and go through the process of germination until this, learning patience and protectiveness, it is the greatest feeling. I think the beauty in nature is this very process and it is a privilege to be able to work through the process directly.

My Stargazer Lily. The perfume is just the best.

1ksxhx69bwbyn2sf.jpg
  • Sir2u
    women-so-gorgeous-they-appear-almost-unreal.Akanthinos

Some of them actually are. Hate tats all over the place like that, ruins the rest of her.
  • TimeLine
    You are quite the opposite of this thread right now.
  • Sir2u
    You are quite the opposite of this thread right now.TimeLine

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all I need is a mirror to be happy.

What's your story?
  • TimeLine
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all I need is a mirror to be happy.Sir2u

That's pretty fucked up. :-!

j/k.. my story? Living in the moment. I am at the park, on a hot day, that happens to be a public holiday, listening to the sounds of people and kids, reading, writing on my computer and feeling completely relaxed. I think life is pretty beautiful right now.
  • Sir2u
    That's pretty fucked up.TimeLine

Sure sign of jealousy there. X-)
  • BC
    You call that remarkable?
    tumblr_myqmbwv27c1s0zqico1_500.jpg
  • T Clark
    Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? I probably have. Every time I look it I want to cry.
  • TimeLine
    My lilies in that picture were hand-reared and they have both spectacular colours and smells. Why they are beautiful to me is because of this connection I had through them with nature, I actually participated in the process. Very Tao. What is that species by the way?

I am trying to understand the biology of how to create a hybrid. I am planning on doing a plant breeding course; how transgenic flowers combine with my anti-GMO stance is going to be interesting and I am really eager to see whether genetic manipulation and plant breeding techniques can be achieved naturally. My neighbour showed me this amazing grafting technique where she was able to graft an eggplant and a tomato plant together.

This is wild Lily of the Valley. So subtle, beautiful, and smell wonderful. They are also poisonous, the floral femme fatale.

lg_Wild_Lily_of_the_valley_Maiantheme_du_Canada__2788.jpg
  • Hanover
    That's a weird looking flower. It looks like it has some evergreen needles on it, but then the flower. It'd probably be best if you stomped the shit out of it. It's fucked up and I don't understand it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Bitter Crank Hummingbirds Glory is what I see~ Beauty attracts beauty~
    @TimeLine I have done some grafting with various flowers, some are easier than others. Orchids are one of my favorites~
  • Hanover
    nekt8d8iv8l28dlf.jpg
    Nascent beauty.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Hanover
    Nuh huh, if that was you, you would have a Swcheppe hair do. Are you sure that isn't a young picture of Fred?
  • Hanover
    Yep, Hanover circa 1966.
  • BC
    For an interesting genetic experience, try this at home: try breeding ever darker petunias. At some point, your two very dark, dark parents will produce a white off-spring. I don't remember what the genetic mechanism was, but something along the lines of "the plant rejected the final attempt and cut the color off altogether".

I don't know what the name of the lily is. I came across it on Tumblr, and thought at first it was some sort of plastic thing, because it looked so unreal. Apparently it is a real plant, Polyethylene pamalota.
  • Akanthinos
    Some of them actually are. Hate tats all over the place like that, ruins the rest of her.Sir2u

I don't get the negative obsession with tattoes. Stephanie Cornelliusen is a woman of sublime grace and beauty, someone who actually causes me existential pain to look at, and you are going to tell me this is all ruined because of a few lines of text on her back and arms?

Why just women and not men?TimeLine

I went with what makes me experience beauty in the most striking manner, so most likely my posting women before, let's say, old large librairies would have to do with the instinctual wiring that comes with mate selection aesthetics.

Men can be beautiful too, but they simply do not strike me as such like a beautiful woman does.

Funny that they happen to be celebrities.TimeLine

That's only incidental, it's easier and a lot less creep to find and post pictures of celebs already online than it is to secretly take a picture of the beautiful women I met everywhere all day.
  • NobleDeep
    I find Dobermans to be amongst the most impressive specimens of fitness, discipline, and excellence.

35691c1ee4a88589341c8a7b307fdb53--blue-doberman-puppy-red-doberman-pinscher.jpg

doberman-pinscher-2a.jpg

44D3413500000578-4929734-image-a-51_1506614540901.jpg

CHuC9y1UwAA3DPC.jpg

d3919da2298aa0aa5e272188a2372df3--beautiful-dogs-amazing-dogs.jpg
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @NobleDeep I love Dobermans. Such loyal stoic animals that like the Rottweiler, they would fight to the death to keep you safe~ (L)
  • TimeLine
    For an interesting genetic experience, try this at home: try breeding ever darker petunias. At some point, your two very dark, dark parents will produce a white off-spring. I don't remember what the genetic mechanism was, but something along the lines of "the plant rejected the final attempt and cut the color off altogether".Bitter Crank

Interesting, but I actually have a fondness for pastel colours, particularly pink that lightly streams though white with a gentle, fresh scent - hence peonies - along with lilies and I am even more impressed when such perfection exists in the wild. Even when I wear pink, people are always drawn to me as though the colour just works for me.

Like pastel pink cherry blossoms.
    9dddc4a4dfc2b9a729092d00e3aeb911.jpg

Men can be beautiful too, but they simply do not strike me as such like a beautiful woman does.Akanthinos

I think this is the point, about whether this 'striking' feeling enables something to be beautiful or whether you are merely projecting your instinctual desires to something fleeting. Rosa Parks is beautiful because she represents something more than just this fleeting appearance, but that honour, courage, compassion elevate her to something more than just our desires, to something eternal.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Last nights' Super Blue Blood Moon from the university my son is attending. Blue_Moon_ERAU.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment