• T Clark
    I had been trying to think of graphic art which moved me as much as some of the other beautiful things that I've shown in this discussion, but I couldn't think of any. Then I remembered these. They're both from caves in France. The first is about 30,000 years old, the second 15,000 to 20,000 years old. There are older ones from Indonesia that are at least 40,000 years old.

Can you imagine what it took to paint one of these for the first time. The people who first drew these were geniuses; da Vinci, Gutenberg, Morse, Bell, Marconi, Edison, Turing, Jobs all rolled into one.

janfeb2016_f16_indonesiacavepaintings.jpg

%27Chinese%27_horse_Lascaux.jpg
  • T Clark
    My dream home; a little cottage with a yellow door.TimeLine

For me, your yellow door brings it all back to the beginning.

CuscoPiedra12angulo.jpg
  • T Clark

I can hear it - here Prince "Bailey" Von Riesig, here boy. Sit Prince "Bailey" Von Riesig.

Do you have to make the quote signs when you call him.

I guess I shouldn't be discourteous to royalty.
  • charleton
    No botox; no surgery; no enhancement; just lips of perfection.

sophia_loren_gallery_10.jpg
  • praxis
    The eyebrows look a bit oddly artificial.
  • T Clark
    Yes. With my daughter.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Yes. With my daughter.T Clark
    What an awesome event to attend together!
    And btw you are a very good looking gentleman. Don't sell yourself short! ;)
  • T Clark

I just realized today is the anniversary of the march.

And thank you. She wanted to get the Capitol in the photo, even if it meant only getting half of me.
  • celebritydiscodave

Not very interesting philosophically however as beauty can be found in almost anything. Attractive is a more interesting term philosophically speaking. Beauty does n`t exist, it is a perception, however, I`d argue that attractive does exist. It is not an important commodity, perhaps, but I believe that it does at least objectively exist.
  • T Clark
    Not very interesting philosophically however as beauty can be found in almost anything. Attractive is a more interesting term philosophically speaking. Beauty does n`t exist, it is a perception, however, I`d argue that attractive does exist. It is not an important commodity, perhaps, but I believe that it does at least objectively exist.celebritydiscodave

I disagree. If you've read all the posts in this thread, you can see it has had a strong effect on me. It's clarified what the word "beautiful" means. I hadn't really thought about it much until I began the discussion and started paying attention to the things I find beautiful. What I found is, for me, beauty reflects something that is deeply part of who I am. I look over the pictures I posted and each gives me the same sense of peace. A feeling of being home. What could be more philosophical than that.

I don't think anything has affected me more intellectually and emotionally since I began on the forum. That's not what I expected when I started the thread. I just thought it would be fun. And it has been.

Which isn't to say that a discussion of attractiveness wouldn't be interesting. Just to point out though, this is intended as a discussion where people show us things they think are beautiful, not discuss beauty and related ideas.
  • BC
    Old book covers:Noble Dust

I like a good dust cover. What would you say the 'golden age' of book covers was? 1950s? 1960s?
  • Hanover
    uusldyvdu1djjcmr.jpg

An instagram posting from a former friend or maybe way more than that. Real life American beauty:
  • Noble Dust

I'm no expert, but the ones I posted are my favorites, and they're 60's/70's. The covers to the Lord of the Rings edition that I posted in that photo are probably my favorite book covers of all time. Those covers fueled my imagination as a kid long before my parents actually read the books to me for the first time. They come in a box set, and the box is equally amazing. I recently purchased my own copy on abebooks, but The Fellowship is already falling apart. I need to cough up the big bucks on a set that's in great condition.
  • TimeLine
    She really is beautiful.

Summit of Mauna Kea. Despite the difficulties with the climb and my inability to acclimatise properly to the high altitude, reaching it was just phenomenal. I also went to see the volcanoes and trekked back at dusk and the crunching sounds of my feet on the surface of the lava at night with the stars above and the milky way in a different position to what I see here in Australia actually gave me goosebumps.

These are mine.

xmltivroinmcyvmg.jpg

khezqj0ol30pshw1.jpg
  • celebritydiscodave
    So beauty no longer exists just in the eye of the beholder then, so these pictures prove substantively and beyond any reasonable doubt that beauty has an independent existence? Surely, they are just pictures, nothing to do with philosophy whatsoever. In any event, beauty suggests beyond attractive, (some of these pictures may perhaps be considered universally/philosophically attractive), to nature, it comprises nature, and all of those pictures which are inanimate definitely do n`t possess a transmitting of inner beauty facet. It is a stretch to consider any life form which is not human as being universally/philosophically beautiful because other than perhaps apes and dogs they do n`t tend to this radiating out of an inner attractive character, come nature. .Beauty of nature is possible to define, beauty of image is less so, and leaves it to chance as to whether that perceived beauty actually exists. These are incredible pictures though.
  • T Clark
    So beauty no longer exists just in the eye of the beholder then, so these pictures prove substantively and beyond any reasonable doubt that beauty has an independent existence? Surely, they are just pictures, nothing to do with philosophy whatsoever. In any event, beauty suggests beyond attractive, (some of these pictures may perhaps be considered universally/philosophically attractive), to nature, it comprises nature, and all of those pictures which are inanimate definitely do n`t possess a transmitting of inner beauty facet. It is a stretch to consider any life form which is not human as being universally/philosophically beautiful because other than perhaps apes and dogs they do n`t tend to this radiating out of an inner attractive character, come nature. .Beauty of nature is possible to define, beauty of image is less so, and leaves it to chance as to whether that perceived beauty actually exists. These are incredible pictures though.celebritydiscodave

I disagree. I'd be happy to talk about it. Why don't you open a new discussion.
  • BC
    Let's not go overboard, here.
  • BC
    You seem to be on a "this isn't philosophy" kick. I agree with T Clark, you should start a thread on the issue of "what is not philosophy". Is "what is not philosophy" philosophy? Doesn't saying something is "not philosophical" make it a philosophical matter, like "What is" and "What is not"?
  • Sir2u
    Here's proof that we are all beautiful.

• BC
    So, he was beautiful. So, so beautiful.

• XanderTheGrey
    Mt. Lagazuoi, Italy

Averau-and-Monte-Pelmo-seen-from-Lagazuoi-mountain-near-Cortina-dAmpezzo-Italy-20170713.jpg

Boulder, Co.
    Maroon_Lake_%2813493355475%29.jpg

Mt. Lemmon, Tuscon, Az.

gf-lemmon-2.png
  • T Clark

I love these photos, are they yours. There is something about rock stratigraphy that moves me. It's one of the reasons I love the Inca structures I showed in my first post on this thread so much. They feel as if they were laid down in layers over millions of years.
  • Hanover
    Sinead O'Connoresque.
  • Baden
    I'm PMing answers to off-topic posts and then deleting them. The discussion is about beautiful things. Please carry on.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment