• Starthrower
    The world's development has been sparked by wars, evil tyrants being overthrown, and essentially the fight for freedom and/or freedom of others, so what if a good king/emperor or whatever decided to be a tyrant for the purpose of the good of mankind and its development, and one day the world is all the better for it? Would God condemn them from it, if God is real? Would they be truly evil, being an oppressive tyrant, or would they be good, being an oppressive tyrant for the good of mankind? Or the gray area in between?
  • tim wood
    I think you're assuming we all know and agree on what evil is. Without making that understanding of evil explicit, we won't really know what we're talking about.

Or, your question could be, leaving evil undefined, could a leader who does evil (whatever that might be) be vindicated by events? That is, could his evil acts be adjudicated (in some way) as good. Perhaps, do the ends justify all and any means?

I think evil is always done to someone (setting animals aside, for this discussion). That is, there is no such thing as evil in the abstract except as an idea (setting aside whether ideas can of themselves be evil), and as an idea it is not evil. To be brief, I think evil can never be good, because the evil done can never be undone, nor can the victim undo it, though he or she may forgive it - or not.
  • Starthrower
    Interesting answer. My emphasis is different from yours, however. What I meant was: is there such thing as necessary “evil”? Does oppression of the powerful to the weak have something good as a result? In other words, would it better humanity to be an oppressive leader?
  • Sir2u
    would it better humanity to be an oppressive leader?Starthrower

The best leader is a beneficial dictator.
  • Sir2u

Actual I didn't, I think it was Tsu Sun. But I have not read things like that for decades. Just placed it on my reading list, #456.

A dictator allows no one to disobey him and there is no questioning of his orders, as long as those orders were beneficial to the people there should be no problems.
  • tim wood
    What I meant was: is there such thing as necessary “evil”? Does oppression of the powerful to the weak have something good as a result? In other words, would it better humanity to be an oppressive leader?Starthrower

I think you're lost in the words ("necessary evil"). Let's put arms and legs on it. I'm the dictator. I take my gun and kill people (who do not by any standard of reason either deserve or need to be shot). Question: can that be (a) good? Or, can you construct any scenario that makes a good of it? And it doesn't have to be just murder, it could be genocide or merely crass robbery - you pick the "evil."
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.